Burn out

Options
I was curious has anyone ever been completely burned out (in general) before? Like, diagnosed by a doctor burned out? How did you or your doctor come to the realization that you where burned out? What are somethings you did or didn't do to help your recovery?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Yes ... and I usually get quite sick which forces me to rest which is exactly what I need.
  • eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yes ... and I usually get quite sick which forces me to rest which is exactly what I need.

By rest to you sleep, read, watch TV? I always feel so guilty laying down... My body generally forces me to though and then I have an extremely hard time getting going again. It is quite frustrating
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I was diagnosed with "professional exhaustion" a few years back. I woke up crying a few mornings and knew something was wrong. I'm the one who showed up telling the doctor it was likely a burn out. I just had this strong feeling of failing at everything I did, of being overwhelmed, of not ever being able to catch up.

Doctor put me on medical leave for 2 weeks, which at the time wasn't obvious as I was working on contracts. It was that or anti-depressants and I really wanted to avoid the anti-depressants (that being said, I've seen them work for others, so if that is what seems doable, they shouldn't be ruled out). The doctor also strongly recommended therapy. That helped the most. It helped me figure out that I burn out because I push myself too hard, have a list of "obligations" that I can't seem to put into perspective. The hardest part of the treatment was having to call everyone I worked for to tell them I wasn't going to be able to complete the contracts. To my surprise, most were understanding and rehired me afterwards.

The 2 weeks med leave did a world of wonder, although, during the first week all I did was sleep. I felt knocked out. Therapist wanted me to exercise and I struggled to go for even a 30 minute walk during the day. Things got better the second week. I eventually took on less contracts and through continued therapy, learned to put my own expectations of myself in perspective.

I've also learned to schedule in at least one day a week where I have "no obligations". And I have learned to really let go on that day, not feeling guilt for taking time for myself. Would that be doable for you?

What has your doctor suggested? What do you think would help?
  • eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Katimira wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with "professional exhaustion" a few years back. I woke up crying a few mornings and knew something was wrong. I'm the one who showed up telling the doctor it was likely a burn out. I just had this strong feeling of failing at everything I did, of being overwhelmed, of not ever being able to catch up.

Doctor put me on medical leave for 2 weeks, which at the time wasn't obvious as I was working on contracts. It was that or anti-depressants and I really wanted to avoid the anti-depressants (that being said, I've seen them work for others, so if that is what seems doable, they shouldn't be ruled out). The doctor also strongly recommended therapy. That helped the most. It helped me figure out that I burn out because I push myself too hard, have a list of "obligations" that I can't seem to put into perspective. The hardest part of the treatment was having to call everyone I worked for to tell them I wasn't going to be able to complete the contracts. To my surprise, most were understanding and rehired me afterwards.

The 2 weeks med leave did a world of wonder, although, during the first week all I did was sleep. I felt knocked out. Therapist wanted me to exercise and I struggled to go for even a 30 minute walk during the day. Things got better the second week. I eventually took on less contracts and through continued therapy, learned to put my own expectations of myself in perspective.

I've also learned to schedule in at least one day a week where I have "no obligations". And I have learned to really let go on that day, not feeling guilt for taking time for myself. Would that be doable for you?

What has your doctor suggested? What do you think would help?

Thank you Katimiri! I really appreciate your insight <3

Once I saw the doctor I was actually referred to to look into medication for my anxiety (figured when all tests by 5 other doctor came back normal over the years I had an 'ah ha' moment and thought maybe it was anxiety) and he brought me being burned out to my attention (which was a yet another huge 'ah ha' moment for me cause I had no inkling that it would be burn out but after learning more about it it does fit) I made another appt with my nurse practitioner to follow up on that Dr's appt. I also decided to activate my employee assistance program and get into therapy as well to find out why I am burned out. I have had one appt so far and they said that the only reason I am in as good a shape as I am right now is because I do all the tricks to stay healthy like eating right, exercising, and meditating. They said if I didn't do all that then I would have had much worse problems much sooner. So that's some good news. It looks like I am not only burned out but may even have some mild PTSD going on although I am not completely sold on that but I guess that's what therapy is there for- to help me figure out what's up since I have no idea why I would be burned out. I know I am busy but I didn't think I was that busy. I really feel so clueless... My therapy is early and I really don't want to go on leave from work but the next few appt.'s will be the tell tale on that I think. I am also not on medication as of yet. I do kind of want to avoid that myself as well.

My body is telling me I am on the right road and I have finally found what is wrong. The therapist said to trust it so thats what I am trying to do. It's nice to know I am not the only one out there who has this going on. By the sounds of it I have a bit of a hill to climb with this so any and all tips and experiences are greatly appreciate it <3
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wish I could hug you eque_price. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. It will get better - and with the support you've actively gotten for yourself, it will likely go faster than you imagine. The best I can say is that, for now, rest. It might feel like the fatigue will never lift, but it does... When you rest. If you need that leave from work, take it. That really was what helped me the most. And yes, I did return after two weeks, even thought my therapist didn't agree. My Dr. did, particularly after I described feeling completely knocked out the first week and starting to feel more energetic the second. Consider it. It helps.

Incidentally, it's been a few years since my burnout (2012) and every January I set "Learn to rest" and "To ease up on myself" as intentions. I'm getting better at both, but it helps me tremendously to remind myself of my intentions when I feel guilty for wanting to take time off obligations or anxious because I feel I could be doing something better.