Cannot find answer to my heart rate question?!

Options
Hello,

I've been working out for about 2 months consistently on the elliptical and my heart rate is usually at 150. There has been one or two times when my heart rate was 130 and I'm wondering why that is. I've only lost about 8 pounds so far so it couldn't be a plateau, right? Just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my workouts. I've already factored in my diet, sleep, etc. And I just don't think that could be the reason (pretty much the same everyday).

Thank you for reading!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    8lbs in 2 months is a good rate of loss.

I wouldn't worry about your heart rate too much.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Heart rates can flucate depending on temps how you feel there is so many variables
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Are you working out at the same levels? On the same machines?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are getting fitter so the intensity of your work out is no longer as challenging for your cardiovascular system.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things: fatigue, differing intensity, too much coffee, dehydration, weather, instrument and/or user error, etc.

Do a lactate threshold heart rate test (http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones) to guide your training. Start tracking your resting heart rate to gauge your fitness and fatigue (http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/06/max-heart-rate-and-fitness.html, http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/resting-heart-rate-can-reflect-current-future-health-201606179806, http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm, etc).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Heart rate varies throughout your workout. Most likely it's 130 part of the time and 150 part of the time.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently now getting heart rates of 130 instead of 150, it is an indication that you are getting more fit and your body is getting used to your workouts. You either need to up the intensity or do something that challenges your body more. Sometimes just a different activity at the same intensity will do it. Additionally, I find that when I am more well-rested and less stressed, I get lower heart rates on my workouts. But your are surely getting more fit at this point and seeing the drops as proof of that.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Illness and a woman's menstrual cycle can also affect HR, albeit admittedly probably not by a full 20bpm for the same activity level and duration.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    If you are consistently now getting heart rates of 130 instead of 150, it is an indication that you are getting more fit and your body is getting used to your workouts. You either need to up the intensity or do something that challenges your body more. Sometimes just a different activity at the same intensity will do it. Additionally, I find that when I am more well-rested and less stressed, I get lower heart rates on my workouts. But your are surely getting more fit at this point and seeing the drops as proof of that.

She said once or twice, it sounds random to me, not consistent.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Same questions plus one. Are you using a strap or the machine to track hr

Also same time of day?? That's a big factor for me
  • lbmarshall23
    lbmarshall23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the advice. It is random..for example today my heart rate was at 155-165 no problem. I did up the resistance on the elliptical so I'm wondering if I am getting more fit! I work out every night between 8-10pm kinda depends on my work and school schedule. Do you think adding weight lifting would help? I typically only do an hour of cardio since my main goal is weight loss. My schedule is tight right now so it might be hard to get in weight lifting but I do know it is important.

So it looks like I just need to up my intensity or change it up! Does anyone have advice on getting the most out of my workouts? I have about 50ish pounds to lose.

Again, thank you all! You guys are great :)
  • lbmarshall23
    lbmarshall23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I have a fitbit and I use the machine to gauge too. They are usually pretty close, my fitbit puts my heart rate a little bit higher than the machine (within 5).
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Depending on intensity, both can be highly inaccurate (and inconsistent). Chest strap model is the most stable.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that go into every aspect of bodily functions and the heart is no different. nutrient levels, electrolytes, hydration, ambient temp and humidity, caffeine intake, sleep, time of day, what you have done physically prior to that workout... and on and on.

• WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Between 150 and 130 bpm is a huge leap. For me that is the difference between zone 1 training and the begining range of threshold training. One thing that happens to me on occasion is that the heart monitor will start tracking steps per minute rather than the actual heart rate. I have somewhat poor circulation in my hands and I use an optical monitor on my wrist. One thing that you can do is on a spreadsheet plot your heart rate over time. Write down the elliptical resistance/speed/heart rate. Wait at least 15 min into your routine before you do this. It should give you a good idea how your fitness is progressing and show times were perhaps the monitor isn't working correctly. Normally low heart rate readings aren't an issue, but if you are seeing the opposite. You should perhaps consult a doctor. A really high heart rate in the middle of exercise could be signs of heart issues and should be investigated.