How much cardio a week?

Options
For the past 3 weeks I've been doing brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more everyday. My heart doctor cleared me the other day to start using my elliptical again. I've been doing 30 min of brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more AND doing 30 min on the elliptical the past couple days.

Yesterday after working out I felt extremely drained the rest of the day. So I decided to take today off.

I figured since I'm pretty sedentary throughout the day other than cleaning the house and exercise it would be ok to workout everyday. But everything I've read says 5 days a week is sufficient.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you just need to increase your exercise slowly, instead of adding in 30 minutes every day.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're eating, too. If you're eating 1200 calories and doing an hour of cardio, you will feel bad.

You could also try splitting it up. Do the walking in the morning, and the elliptical after lunch.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If your primary goal is to lose weight, you can do that without exercise at all if you want to and you can build up to additional exercise more slowly. You may burn out if you overload your exercise and it's making you very tired and/or you aren't enjoying it. For me, I started adding 30 minute walks to my routine a few times a week and built up to walking almost every single day. That then evolved into running a few times a week and walking a few times a week. I constantly reevaluate so I don't burn out. I don't force myself to do anything. If I don't want to go out for a walk or run, sometimes I'll even just jog in place in front of the TV lol. Still gets me some activity and I'm not just a slug on the couch.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Your goals. What are you trying to accomplish will depend on what type of cardio you want.

I put in five days of cardio a week, but I also possess a body type that clings to weight so the five days of cardio are how I make it without gaining a lot of fat.

I'm also currently training for a May marathon. Cardio for me is three longish runs and then two days of heavy bag training and combat ropes.
  • bufflo
    bufflo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It could very well be that you are not fueling properly before and/or after your cardio. People often just don't have the energy for cardio during calorie restriction when dieting. Try taking in a complex carb and a little protein 30 minutes before your cardio. Cardio can increase metabolism for several hours after the exercise stops. At some point, you need to refuel or you will begin to fatigue even if you are sedentary.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Depends what you're eating, too. If you're eating 1200 calories and doing an hour of cardio, you will feel bad.

You could also try splitting it up. Do the walking in the morning, and the elliptical after lunch.

My calories for the day is 1390. I split the hour up. I do 15min on the treadmill and 15 min on the elliptical. Then in the evening do another 15 & 15. I have heart issues so I'm not suppose to do a hour straight.

• alid8333
    Options
    bufflo wrote: »
    It could very well be that you are not fueling properly before and/or after your cardio. People often just don't have the energy for cardio during calorie restriction when dieting. Try taking in a complex carb and a little protein 30 minutes before your cardio. Cardio can increase metabolism for several hours after the exercise stops. At some point, you need to refuel or you will begin to fatigue even if you are sedentary.

I get a good amount of protein a day. I make sure to fuel properly before and after working out. But yesterday as I was on the elliptical I started feeling extremely fatigued and then my heart palpitated extremely hard. I knew at that point time to stop lol.

Still today I feel very sluggish. My calorie goal for the day is 1390 and I've been eating back about 50 to 75% of my calories burned.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you have an idea of how many calories you burn while doing cardio? And whats your height and weight?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is 150 minutes (or 30 minutes 5 days a week) of moderate cardio OR 75 minutes of vigorous cardio. This is for cardiovascular (heart) health. I see no reason to do 60 minutes of cardio everyday unless you really enjoy it, experience additional benefits from it (improved mood, sleep, etc.), and/or just want more calories to eat.

I don't see any reason not to either unless you're having negative side effects, which you are. It sounds like you just wore yourself out. So if you really want to do that much cardio, continue with just the walking until you feel back to normal and introduce the elliptical slowly (maybe start with 10 minutes per day or 30 minutes twice a week).
  • VeraB1794
    VeraB1794 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depending on your schedule try exercising and then eat a protein shower and take a nap lol that's what I do cause I also get super tired after workouts and then I'm good after that hour nap lol
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »

My calories for the day is 1390. I split the hour up. I do 15min on the treadmill and 15 min on the elliptical. Then in the evening do another 15 & 15. I have heart issues so I'm not suppose to do a hour straight.

Are you eating back some/all of your exercise calories?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sounds like you just need to increase your exercise slowly, instead of adding in 30 minutes every day.

This. You don't want to overdo as that will be counterproductive but you will be able to do more if you ramp up more gradually.

As far as how much, what is "okay" is different from (more than, probably) what is "sufficient," of course, so that question is what you are trying to achieve -- your goals, as others have said.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I only do cardio 1-2x a week. Unless its riding a bike outside or playing a sport, I really dont' like cardio. I prefer to lift 4-5x a week (currently doing a 4 day upper/lower split). In your case, you can always take your time and build up more slowly. You can also consider not doing cardio every day and start incorporating some lifting (circuit or a dumbell routine).
  • alid8333
    edited January 2017
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Do you have an idea of how many calories you burn while doing cardio? And whats your height and weight?

I have a polar chest strap that i connect to my Apple Watch. It says I burn around 350 to 400 total. But I know that's not 100% accurate so I only eat back 50 to 75% of them back.

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184
  • alid8333
    Options

Are you eating back some/all of your exercise calories?

I try to eat back 50 to 75% of them
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    You mentioned a heart Dr and palpatations. Even though you were cleared for exercise maybe there is still an underlying issue? I definitely would seek medical advise outside of the forum ( even a second medical opinion ) If you aren't feeling well I would strive for 30 minutes 5x a week . If you want to do more ( though not necessary for weight loss) try adding in 5 minute increments.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I think this is a question for your cardiologist. I'm glad to hear that you rested when you're tired.
  • alid8333
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    You mentioned a heart Dr and palpatations. Even though you were cleared for exercise maybe there is still an underlying issue? I definitely would seek medical advise outside of the forum ( even a second medical opinion ) If you aren't feeling well I would strive for 30 minutes 5x a week . If you want to do more ( though not necessary for weight loss) try adding in 5 minute increments.

I have Afib and mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. My doctor is on vacation at the moment.

• alid8333
    Options
    I think this is a question for your cardiologist. I'm glad to hear that you rested when you're tired.

I plan on asking him when he returns from vacation. Just wanted others opinions.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »

I have a polar chest strap that i connect to my Apple Watch. It says I burn around 350 to 400 total. But I know that's not 100% accurate so I only eat back 50 to 75% of them back.

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

I think you are eating way too little for the amount of calories you are burning
    I had the same problem as you. I used to feel drained after working out . I simply upped my calories from 1400 to 1500 and I was fine.
    Try increasing your calories by 100 everyday and see how it goes
    Or just limit your cardio to 30 mins brisk walking
    However , since you have a heart problem I suggest asking your cardiologist.