How much cardio a week?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »
    For the past 3 weeks I've been doing brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more everyday. My heart doctor cleared me the other day to start using my elliptical again. I've been doing 30 min of brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more AND doing 30 min on the elliptical the past couple days.

Yesterday after working out I felt extremely drained the rest of the day. So I decided to take today off.

I figured since I'm pretty sedentary throughout the day other than cleaning the house and exercise it would be ok to workout everyday. But everything I've read says 5 days a week is sufficient.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

30 minutes 5x per week is sufficient for general health in most cases...more specific fitness goals would steer you towards more or less.

Given you condition, you should be in regular communication with your cardiologist and definitely listen to your body. Also, a lot of people who are coming off the couch can't do 30 minutes 5x per week...it's something they build up to. Fitness is something that is developed over time and it seems a lot of people forget that and just want to come out of the gate with guns a blazin' and over do it when they're coming from basically nothing.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For the past 3 weeks I've been doing brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more everyday. My heart doctor cleared me the other day to start using my elliptical again. I've been doing 30 min of brisk walking at a incline of 6 or more AND doing 30 min on the elliptical the past couple days.

Yesterday after working out I felt extremely drained the rest of the day. So I decided to take today off.

I figured since I'm pretty sedentary throughout the day other than cleaning the house and exercise it would be ok to workout everyday. But everything I've read says 5 days a week is sufficient.

30 minutes 5x per week is sufficient for general health in most cases...more specific fitness goals would steer you towards more or less.

Given you condition, you should be in regular communication with your cardiologist and definitely listen to your body. Also, a lot of people who are coming off the couch can't do 30 minutes 5x per week...it's something they build up to. Fitness is something that is developed over time and it seems a lot of people forget that and just want to come out of the gate with guns a blazin' and over do it when they're coming from basically nothing.

My cardiologist is on vacation, but I planned on talking with him when he returns. Just wanted others opinions. I'm going to go down to 30 min 5 days a week. I'll do 15 min of brisk walking with a incline and 15 min of the elliptical. Then slowly work myself up from there.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? And is it something your doctor recommends? I'm just curious if there is a correlation between your heart working too fast and your fatigue.
    I'd take it easy until you can check with the doctor. Maybe just do 1 of your exercises per day (15 mins) until you can see him.
  • alid8333
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    Do you have an idea of how many calories you burn while doing cardio? And whats your height and weight?

I have a polar chest strap that i connect to my Apple Watch. It says I burn around 350 to 400 total. But I know that's not 100% accurate so I only eat back 50 to 75% of them back.

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

I think you are eating way too little for the amount of calories you are burning
    I had the same problem as you. I used to feel drained after working out . I simply upped my calories from 1400 to 1500 and I was fine.
    Try increasing your calories by 100 everyday and see how it goes
    Or just limit your cardio to 30 mins brisk walking
    However , since you have a heart problem I suggest asking your cardiologist.

I don't really want to up my calories just yet. I think I will just do 30 min of exercise 5 days a week and see how I feel. Figured I'd do 15 min of brisk walking on a incline and then 15 min on the elliptical. I enjoy the elliptical so much more as walking hurts my knees lol but I know I can't do 30 min straight on the elliptical quite yet. It's harder to control my heart rate.

• active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you have an idea of how many calories you burn while doing cardio? And whats your height and weight?

I have a polar chest strap that i connect to my Apple Watch. It says I burn around 350 to 400 total. But I know that's not 100% accurate so I only eat back 50 to 75% of them back.

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

I think you are eating way too little for the amount of calories you are burning
    I had the same problem as you. I used to feel drained after working out . I simply upped my calories from 1400 to 1500 and I was fine.

I don't really want to up my calories just yet. I think I will just do 30 min of exercise 5 days a week and see how I feel. Figured I'd do 15 min of brisk walking on a incline and then 15 min on the elliptical. I enjoy the elliptical so much more as walking hurts my knees lol but I know I can't do 30 min straight on the elliptical quite yet. It's harder to control my heart rate.

I enjoy the elliptical as well , as I watch movies while I work out and split in 15 mins sections. ( morning , afternoon and evening ). However , when its sunny outside , I do like to walk my dog as well . If I were you , I would do 15 minutes on the elliptical twice a day and see how I feel :)
  • alid8333
    Options

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

I enjoy the elliptical as well , as I watch movies while I work out and split in 15 mins sections. ( morning , afternoon and evening ). However , when its sunny outside , I do like to walk my dog as well . If I were you , I would do 15 minutes on the elliptical twice a day and see how I feel :)

So you do 3 15 min sessions a day on the elliptical?

I'm the same way. If it's warm and sunny out I take my dogs for walks. I live in Ohio and we've been lucky and had quite a few days in the mid 50's and low 60's. Now we're back to low to mid 30's.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

I'm the same way. If it's warm and sunny out I take my dogs for walks. I live in Ohio and we've been lucky and had quite a few days in the mid 50's and low 60's. Now we're back to low to mid 30's.

yes exactly :) I used to do 45 mins all at once but I just get way too tired and bored. I found it much more convenient to just do 3 15 min sessions

oh thats good ! Do you still take them for walks in min 30's??
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you have a heart condition changes things. You need to talk to your doctor. Be careful taking advice from anyone on here.
  • alid8333
    Options

I'm 5'3 and weigh 184

yes exactly :) I used to do 45 mins all at once but I just get way too tired and bored. I found it much more convenient to just do 3 15 min sessions

oh thats good ! Do you still take them for walks in min 30's??

Not usually lol. I have a large fenced in yard so they get their exercise that way. I can't stand the cold.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Instead of a brisk walk, do a longer one at a moderate pace. Since you wear a heart rate monitor, try to stay in zone 2.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I walk between 1.5-5 hours depending on the day with relative ease.
  • alid8333
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? And is it something your doctor recommends? I'm just curious if there is a correlation between your heart working too fast and your fatigue.
    I'd take it easy until you can check with the doctor. Maybe just do 1 of your exercises per day (15 mins) until you can see him.

Yes I have a heart rate monitor. The highest I'm allowed to let my heart rate get is 140 which is 75% of my maximum heart rate.

• alid8333
    Options

Ok?

• Tacklewasher
    Options

What kind of heart issues do you have?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Yes I have a heart rate monitor. The highest I'm allowed to let my heart rate get is 140 which is 75% of my maximum heart rate.

Do you see any correlation between HR and feeling tired? Or does it not seem to matter?

And I'm really only curious at this point. I have no real advice to give.
  • alid8333
    Options

Do you see any correlation between HR and feeling tired? Or does it not seem to matter?

No correlation at all.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Are you trying to lose weight? Or just stay healthy? Why are you seeing a heart doctor?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    You mentioned a heart Dr and palpatations. Even though you were cleared for exercise maybe there is still an underlying issue? I definitely would seek medical advise outside of the forum ( even a second medical opinion ) If you aren't feeling well I would strive for 30 minutes 5x a week . If you want to do more ( though not necessary for weight loss) try adding in 5 minute increments.

I have Afib and mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. My doctor is on vacation at the moment.

From the first page.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

No correlation at all.

Huh. I guess that would suggest to me that taking it easy won't be of much help. But I'm not a heart doctor and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so what do I know :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What kind of heart issues do you have?

I think he's answering the title question, not telling OP what to do.