Who else is hungry ALL THE TIME?

Options
2»

Replies

• release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Eat better quality fats. I am doing Keto..carbs under 50g at the most. Was hungry all the time until I got my good fats up..now never hungry
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    My problem is I also do not calorie count over the weekend, so I feel like I need a huge deficit in order to lose the weight. I know it would be more realistic to just not eat as much on the weekends and only have one cheat day

I was hungry much of the time for the first three weeks I was losing weight. I dealt with it with three D's:

(1) Distraction: often focusing on something for 10-15 minutes would take care of the hunger.

(2) Drinking water: hydration helps.

(3) Dill pickles: a couple of baby dills are filling and have 10 calories or so.

However, I was running a moderate deficit (500-600 calories) and eating all my exercise calories. And while I aimed for a weekly calorie goal, not a daily one, I didn't have any "cheat" days; days I went over my average calorie goal were over by a couple hundred at most.

It's clear that you know your problem; the solution is not to go overboard on the weekends, so you can eat more on weekdays. Good luck implementing it!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Now to deal with numbers. To lose weight 0.5 kg should consume about 3,500 calories - without having to make up for them. You force your body to use the energy of a pound of fat. Five kilos in a month corresponds to 1.25 kg per week. So that in a week you need to create a deficit of 8,750 calories - or 1,250 calories a day.

say what?? 1250 per day deficit. no
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 a day and it went well for about a month. Then I started having days when I was starving. A little research encouraged me to bump my calorie count up. I eat around 1400-1500 a day now. I'm losing weight at a slower rate, but I'm okay with that. I'm glad I can still lose weight without going hungry.
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't feel hungry all the time per say, but definitely at night. If I stay up too late I get hunger pangs. Still trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. It's not terribly bothersome but it can prevent me from going to sleep right away.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @cashidy how tall are you? You mentioned eating back exercise calories, but do you eat all of them or only some?
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!

@tomteboda I am 5 3. And I have decided to eat back most of the calories I burn exercising.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If your "diet" (what you are eating) leaves you hungry then you are not going to want to stick with it for the duration of the weight loss or even after you lose the weight so then you will have a hard time maintaining the wt. loss.
    I started eating low carb high fat (keto) and will never have to "diet" again. I am never hungry. Went from having to eat 6 times a day, and after several weeks could go all day without eating and felt great. I am in maintenance now and eat 3 meals a day just so I don't keep losing weight. I do not snack nor feel the need to. I also don't want to go back to my previous way of eating, because my "diet" foods taste good and are extremely filling.

I hope you find what works for you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I disagree with those who say you "should" be hungry while losing weight - at least not if we're talking major-league life-altering hungry, as you seem to be. I grant that the first couple of weeks can involve adaptation, but after that things ought to become pretty manageable. ...

Agreed. Because I'm not crash-dieting, I'm only hungry right before meals.

Weight loss does not have to involve suffering or self-punishment.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different on what they find keeps them filling fuller, I upped my protein and lowered my carbs and found I don't get starving hungry anymore.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous to talk about "life-altering hungry", especially in an overweight, obese group. Overwhelming majority in the US do not face this kind of hunger either. The worst hunger an overweight person in the US likely faces probably comes from not eating for ...half a day!!! LOL.

Anyway, back to the "diet" hungry, OP, initially you may feel more hungry than you are used to. Perhaps some dizziness. It's normal for most healthy people. I wouldn't drive or perform critical activities. Your body will soon get used to having less food -- deficit is a must for weight loss.

As far as feeling hungry everyday, healthy people feel hungry. It doesn't have to be before meal time -- life isn't that neat. The difference between a good hunger and a bad one, to me, is that you don't crash (eg diabetic) and you can delay that hunger for several hours until food becomes available.

If you are not hungry, you are not getting the most out of your food.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I understand the concept that you have to be hungry to get the most of out of your food. I'm not hungry often. I may get a twinge here and there. I do 16:8 IF. If I were hungry often, it would be hard for me to abstain from eating.

I hope you find a way to deal with your hunger. Good luck!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I understand the concept that you have to be hungry to get the most of out of your food. I'm not hungry often. I may get a twinge here and there. I do 16:8 IF. If I were hungry often, it would be hard for me to abstain from eating.

I hope you find a way to deal with your hunger. Good luck!

Well, they don't say hunger is the best ingredient (sauce) for nothing, when it come to food taste.

Performance wise (I play sport) I can feel a (positive) difference when my body can process a large amount of food which is only possible when I'm hungry/healthy. Likewise I am sick , hunger is virtually non existent and food isn't helping.
  • cashidy
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I used to be able to eat 5,000 calories a day. A 3,000 calorie meal. And still be hungry. I've literally still felt hungry even after drinking a half gallon of water during my meal (so I would feel full); In the past I've eaten so much my stomach distended and my chest hurt, but I still felt hungry. Once I mused to myself that I was still hungry after eating a huge meal, not realizing my stomach was about to toss that whole meal back up because it was too damn big.

It's really mind over matter. I just imagine all that food in my stomach and it all turning into energy, and that helps make me feel satisfied with what I've eaten- it's also satisfying in another way to know you aren't going to gain weight from overeating.
  • mrscruz5189
    mrscruz5189 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also get very hungry. I tracked my usual diet first, consuming around 3000 calories a day. Cutting down to 1200 was too much of an initial deficit. I decided to take 750 from 3000 and thats a pound and a half per week, i will recalclate every few weeks. Im not aa hungry anymore. Also, i have 3 meals and 3 snacks.
  • cashidy
    Options
    I have started combatting this by saying "Listen, I know you are hungry. If you wait till this time you can eat a little bit of this treat food you wanted."
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem a couple of days ago.

I see some people saying you don't have to eat many small meals and that may be true, but I would suggest that from your first meal to your last you should eat an even amount of calories in your meals. I was getting dizzy, hungry, and cranky and all I needed to do was even out the calories per meal. I still leave about 600-500 for dinner, but I eat a bit more for breakfast and lunch. I guess my answer is, try balancing your meals (how ever many you eat). It doesn't have to be perfect, but going from a 100 calorie meal to 500 might be messing you up.

Also, if you're a girl, I didn't realize women get hungry around their ovulation. I knew we had cravings, but not full-on hunger and an increased metabolism!