overeat and feel guilty.

Options
How do you cope when you when over eaten eaten your calories in day? I've eaten twice my calories in one day and feel terribly guilty, please help I was so hungry and craving the things I'd eaten

Replies

• DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    claregib wrote: »
    How do you cope when you when over eaten eaten your calories in day? I've eaten twice my calories in one day and feel terribly guilty, please help I was so hungry and craving the things I'd eaten

I feel guilty too but then try to start over the next day. You can't go back in time.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to stay within your calorie goals or resist cravings, you may want to reconsider your calorie goals as well as your food choices.

If you're restricting too much, it will make your cravings more difficult to resist. Allow yourself to have the things you want, in moderation. Also try to make sure you're eating things that are low enough in calories that you can bulk up on them to help with feeling full longer. Veggies are great for this. Meeting your protein and fat goals will also help you feel full.

If you open your diary, you'll get much better advice.

As far as the one day? Log it and just try not to do it again. One day is not going to break you. :) Unless you over ate your TDEE by 3500 calories, it wouldn't even equal pound. You got this!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, but happily I no longer do. I think it's because I see this as a "rest of my life" process now. One bad day or even a bad week doesn't matter. Statistically irrelevant.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. It has nothing to do with your character or willpower. Hunger is driven by your body's complex hormonal system, and hormones always override willpower and conscious thought. Years ago, I used to count calories, exercise, and starve to lose a few pounds, only to get ravenous and eat all the calories back. Now I've learned that the types of foods one eats affects the body in ways that drive either hunger or satiety--picking the right foods matters so much more than counting the right number of calories.

Calories are used by the body in many different ways. Protein, for example, is often used to build tissues or enzymes for chemical reactions. Take sugar or glucose, for example, your body actually keeps very little glucose on hand. A total of about 4g in your blood, 100g in the muscles, and another 400g in the liver. Glucose is water soluble, and when the level rises in your bloodstream, it can be bind to proteins and damage cells, your body doesn't want high blood sugar--lots of complications from that! So it sounds the alarm, secretes insulin, and immediately stores it as fat. Overconsume sugar and simple carbohydrates (very easy to do) and those calories go straight to fat cells, only to be released later, broken down back down into energy by the liver, if you have a period of fasting where you actually burn through enough of your glucose stores to need it. Fat, on the other hand is not water soluble. The liver packages it in little protein-coated blobs called chylomicrons. These little guys are not inflammatory and can float around in your bloodstream for hours and hours and be used by tissues for fuel (especially in the presence of low insulin, meaning you ate a high fat low carb meal, since it is not being driven into storage as well)--so you have long-lasting energy and less hunger overall.

When it comes to hunger, the biggest hormonal player is insulin. Keep insulin low, and you will keep hunger low. Additionally, pay close attention to micro-nutrient density. The more nutritious the foods you choose, the less hunger you will experience. Whole, real foods are far more nutrient-dense than processed, refined foods that have been so altered from their natural state that they are beyond recognition.

Taking all this into consideration, I now eat a real food low carb high fat diet. I don't experience ravenous hunger like I used to. In fact, I can comfortably fast for extended periods of time. Often I eat only once per day, sometimes I have gone 3 days without much effort on my part. Believe me, I used to think that I lacked will-power as well when I used to struggle calorie counting and eating standard, high-carbohydrate, nutrient poor foods.

If you are interested in this way of eating, check out www.dietdoctor.com

When I say "way of eating," the reality is that this is THE human, species-appropriate diet. It is not magic. It is how we've eaten for millennia. Cows, for example, don't count calories when they eat grass, and they stay lean. However, if you put them on a species-inappropriate diet of corn, and they will gain fat and develop heart disease. Farmers know this. In France, they have an old traditional method of force-feeding ducks corn in order to instigate fatty liver disease to create the delicacy of foie gras. The liver swells to 10 times its normal size. The same thing happens in humans with a species-inappropriate diet. In humans, fatty liver, insulin resistance (pre-diabetes), and obesity go hand in hand. In the US now, non alcoholic fatty liver is a growing epidemic and the #1 cause of liver failure. The cause is our chronic, species-inappropriate high carbohydrate, industrialized, nutrient-poor diets.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

In my experience, I don't overeat because I am hungry. If I only ate when I was *truly* hungry, meaning my stomach is sending me REAL signals, and if I only ate enough to satisfy that hunger, NOT to feel FULL, just to stop the hunger, then I would never ever overeat. So *hunger*, FOR ME, is never the issue. It's being home, or somewhere around food, when I am bored or simply not busy, and I simply fail to exercise the discipline to NOT give in to the temptation of something tasting yummy in my mouth. That's all it is for me. It's willpower. If I am busy, it's never an issue. If I go to the gym right after work (which I try to do most days) then I know I won't eat. But when I get home, that's when I get in trouble. If I have junk around, I know it's going to be a temptation that I have to resist. I've really let myself fall off the wagon the past few years (I blame most of this on a BF that loves me to cook and bake goodies :# ) and the fact that my son and his friends are no longer home and they don't eat all the food in the house anymore. So I have to be REALLY strict now. Stay busy, no sitting at the computer at night and snacking mindlessly. It's a HUGE crash for me when I binge, mentally, and I know it. So for me, it's just a train that I have to make myself stay on, until I get back into that groove.

All of that probably doesn't answer your question. :) All I can say about how to deal with overeating, is to try and figure out why you did it, and take whatever steps are necessary to not let that happen again. And then move on. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Feeling guilty accomplishes nothing. Instead, take the opportunity to understand what happened and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future if -- and it's a big if -- you think it was a bad thing and aren't just reacting to reflexive guilt.

If you were "so hungry" -- why? Are you undereating? Have you been too restrictive? Are you not using your calories wisely?

If you were craving what you ate, could you have fit them into your calories (or done so over multiple days?) or saved up calories for them? Could you have satisfied the craving with fewer calories? Was it a rare thing that you enjoyed?

Also, why feel guilty? Guilt should be about doing something wrong. You made a choice to eat and that's not necessarily a good decision or the best thing for you (but it also might be, it all depends). However, it's certainly not morally wrong. Guilt is not the right reaction to this kind of thing and could be a bad sign (although it's also common enough in our society that I wouldn't assume it is -- but think about it).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    IMHO, there is a difference between hunger and craving. You mention both. I think of hunger as something physical that results from too little food. Not a national emergency by any means, just a signal that it's time to eat or that my daily totals are averaging too low.

Craving is a mental thing that can be completely detached from hunger. Weirdly, I most often have a craving at the end of a meal, when I'm least likely to be hungry. But hunger & craving are connected -- eating too low is a cravings trigger for me.

tl:dr -- check your calorie goal and make sure it is appropriate (deficit not too big) to address both hunger & cravings. Good luck!
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    IMHO, there is a difference between hunger and craving. You mention both. I think of hunger as something physical that results from too little food. Not a national emergency by any means, just a signal that it's time to eat or that my daily totals are averaging too low.

Craving is a mental thing that can be completely detached from hunger. Weirdly, I most often have a craving at the end of a meal, when I'm least likely to be hungry. But hunger & craving are connected -- eating too low is a cravings trigger for me.

tl:dr -- check your calorie goal and make sure it is appropriate (deficit not too big) to address both hunger & cravings. Good luck!

Agree there is a difference between hunger and craving. The former is driven primarily by insulin, the latter by dopamine--which involves the reward pathways in the brain. Hyper-palatable foods, especially sweet foods, cause a dopamine release. Over time and repeated exposure, the receptors down-regulate and require more and more dopamine to get the same reward. The only cure for that kind of craving is complete abstinence and time for the brain to heal and regain sensitivity--as with any addictive substance.

Reward pathways were made for reason. We should enjoy our foods. Pleasure and good taste were historically linked to quality, freshness, ripeness, and nutrient-density. Processed foods and man-made flavors have changed that and hijacked our natural reward systems. Your best bet is to stay away from these engineered food products and stick to natural rewards from real food!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, but happily I no longer do. I think it's because I see this as a "rest of my life" process now. One bad day or even a bad week doesn't matter. Statistically irrelevant.

Agree. My daily calorie allotment was way over maintenance 4 weeks ago, but when I average that week with the last 3 weeks, they equal a little less than my maintenance calories. I generally do a 4 week calorie average to make sure that I am hitting my maintenance calorie goals because every 4 weeks or so, I'll eat hormonally and totally blow it. Then I will eat at a deficit the next few weeks and it all averages out.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mistakes are made to be learned from. Figure out what you overeat on, what made you overeat and improve on it