Can certain foods make you tired

Options
I've noticed each evening I'm tired and yawning despite having rest days.
Can it be specific foods causing this or is it due to reducing calories?
I've been exercising a lot more compared to before but recently I am trying to rest abit but each evening I'm yawning and getting cold chills.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    All of the above. How long has this been happening? How much do you exercise? How much do you eat?
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Well I started exercising daily going gym and dance classes pretty much 5 days a week and up to 3 hours in total. I eat around 2000 calories. In the past I logged on mfp I had this I'm unsure if I'm getting the calorie counting wrong somewhere but my bloods are clear so it's not medical
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    I've noticed each evening I'm tired and yawning despite having rest days.
    Can it be specific foods causing this or is it due to reducing calories?
    I've been exercising a lot more compared to before but recently I am trying to rest abit but each evening I'm yawning and getting cold chills.

Are you tired before or after dinner? Your lunches this week would make me sleepy, as they have lots of carbs from flour and comparatively little protein, but your dinners would not make me sleepy as they are much higher in protein and don't have bread, let alone double breads.

(I'm not dissing Indian bread, which I love, but bread from flour makes me sleepy :( )
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be that there's something lacking in your diet, could be anything - are you cutting out or drastically down on something?
  • aniqa109
    Options
    After dinner in evening as I don't eat after 5pm normally my last meal is around 4ish
    Wouldn't the red kidney beans class as protein lol ? I'm new to all this
    And no I'm not cutting out anything I'm just reducing my portions and trying to fit what I enjoy in my daily calories
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Second the carbs. I call it a carb coma. I used to work for a doctors office that had catered lunches often, and Qdoba was brought all the time. If I had rice and tortilla, I was dead the rest of the day.
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Ok so should I cut down on carbs ? I don't know what to eat lol
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My suggestion would be that there's something lacking in your diet, could be anything - are you cutting out or drastically down on something?

I'm leaning towards this as well. From your diary, it looks like you're not eating back any exercise calories. It could be that you're not eating enough to fuel your workouts.
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The carb coma is so real! More than that, though, is the quality of the carbs (at least in my experience). Maybe do a bit of research on high- vs low-glycemic index foods and adjust as necessary.
    Also, if you're exercising more, adjusting your calories, the whole shebang, and something still seems off, drink more water (I'm a camp nurse,that was bound to come up, sorry!).
    If you continue to feel worse, please see your physician; if you're on a new diet, they may want to check some bloodwork to make sure everything is looking good from a chemical standpoint and how your body has reacted to a lifestyle change. At the very least, they can help you figure out what you need to be eating to reach your goals, or connect you to a nutritionist who can help.
    I hope that helped at least a little!
  • aniqa109
    Options
    @ mandamanda93 hat helped loads! Thankyou so much. I will do my research! Appreciated!
  • aniqa109
    Options
    But I thought I was eating back my exercise calories ? Mfp gives me 1700 and I'm eating more than 1700. The numbers throw me I get muddled up
    Somfp gives me 1700 + 400 I get from exercise so I eat 2100 right?
  • aniqa109
    Options
    Ok thankyou for taking the time out to write all that information. Yeah I am busy I walk alot and I'm on my feet running around with school runs etc and recently I've started exercising on top. I think il try to eat the way you explained as I was getting it wrong before and see how I feel and see how much I lose. Thanks a lot because each time I started mfp I would struggle and give up and since 2013 I been struggling with my weight as I was slim prior to that.
    Wish me luck!