What if C25K is too hard? Is there something wrong with me?

Options
I am generally a healthy person, I eat well, and of late (since April) I've been getting regular cardiovascular exercise in the form of hour bike rides 3 or 4 times a week, keeping my heart rate up in the 80% range. I just started some really light weight training, and plan to up the weights once I'm comfortable with the moves. I'm not overweight. My problem is that I've always been really weak cardiovascularly speaking. Last week I tried something similar to the C25K program, unknowingly. I decided to walk/jog using my new interval watch, and I jogged for 30 seconds and then walked for 2 minutes, over and over for 45 minutes. The first 30 seconds, I thought my heart was going to come out of my mouth. The last 30 seconds would only be described as a jog by someone very generous. I theoretically should be in better shape than a "couch" person, but according to the C25K website, you're supposed to jog for 60 seconds and walk 90 on day one, straight off the couch! No way I could do that, I'd vomit! My question is, if I do it to the extent I can, will I ever be able to jog for say, 10 minutes straight, or do I have micro-lungs or something else congenital wrong with me?

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Today was day 2 of the C25K program (week 1) and I hear you! I even walk a lot (prior to and still do) and it was not easy. They say you should be able to walk for 30 minutes without harm.

I would take the jogging very slow and then build the pace up. This is what I learned, lol. Take it slow and you'll get there.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    you're just not used to the cardio part of it, i'd say. it's such a different type of exercise than cycling. i started running from 1 lamp post to the next, then built it up from there. good luck- start with what you can.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Stick with it - you will get there - everyone starts at their own level - do your own thing til you get to the level C25K starts at, and then follow it, repeating weeks if you need to. Running/jogging is very different from other forms of cardio. Last year I was doing step aerobics regularly, and had run before, but when I started back to running, I could barely do 2:1 intervals. But by the end of 6 weeks I was running a full 5K. Another thing, make sure your jog intervals are slow enough - if you feel like you're dying, you may be trying to run too fast. A 12.5 or 13 min mile is perfectly reasonable to start - build endurance first, then worry about speed.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    DO. NOT. QUIT.

I could have written your story. Sometimes I repeated weeks. Several times. But I eventually finished. I'm still slow as all get out, but I am moving.

you go at a speed that works for you. Your lungs will get stronger. Hang in there!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for everybody. I tried it and could not increase my time no matter how much fuel I had, water in my body, how cool it was outside. I do better on a treadmill when I can WATCH how long I've been running and push myself to go longer. Everyone is different but I know a lot of people who C2K5 has worked great for. Try it, if it doesn't work, don't fret. Just find what works for you!
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My short answer is yes, you will be able to work up to it. I was very similar 18 months ago, I could barely run (jog) for .1 miles but now I can run a 5K on the treadmill and at least one mile all at once outside. Go slowly so you don't pass out but keep pushing yourself so you don't give up. You need to train your body for endurance and stamina and it will happen.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I discovered that in order to survive C25K, I have to jog really slow. I "run" on a 4.5 on the treadmill. I can walk on a 4, sustain a 4.2 jog all day, and run on 4.5. When I've done 5k's, I average 5 mph. You have to do what works for you while still stretching your limits. This is how you grow.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Just stick with it.
    Focus on your stride and ease into it.

If you ran short intervals for 5 weeks (twice a week) you'd be running 10 minutes solid. C25K is awesome.

Good luck to you :love:
  • R_Pup1976
    R_Pup1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As a pre c25k program, I started week 1 with a 20 minute walk (3 times during the week). Week 2, I did a 20 minute walk with 1 of those minutes being a jog. Week 3, I walked 20 minutes with 2 of the minutes jogged. Basically each week 1 more minute was jogging, after you do the week with 7 minutes of jogging, you're ready for c25k. I'd also suggest slowing down your jog if you can. Hope this helps.
  • lauralu71
    lauralu71 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just found this app over the weekend and started today with day 1. It was very very difficult for me and I never knew I was that out of shape! I found I wasn't able to run all the intervals; some I could only run for 30-45 sec before resuming walking. If you want to request me as a friend, we can work on this together. I would love someone in the same boat! My goal is to do the 5K part of the Atlantic City Marathon on 10/16.

Laura
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with armsparky that it may partly be a lung capacity issue. Sounds weird, but try a few breathing exercises throughout the day, whenever you're standing in line or sitting in traffic or have a few seconds to spare. Breathe out until you've completely emptied your lungs, then breathe in slowly through your nose, without moving your shoulders (breathe from the belly, not the chest), until you feel like your lungs are completely full. Repeat several times.

If you google "lung capacity training exercises" you'll come up with more, but that's the easiest one. I'm a flute player & singer, so I'm always trying to improve my lung capacity, too. Regular deep breathing seems to help. Best of luck to you!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've realised I've been trying to run too fast... There's no way I can run any faster than about 4.5mph for longer than 30 seconds. I know it's not a classic run speed, but it's faster than my walk, and gets my heart rate up to over 170bpm. Any faster and I will literally pass out. I figure the more I do it, the better I will get and I'll be able to sustain longer and longer run periods. There's no chance of me getting 5k in 30 minutes at this speed, but the more I do it, the harder I'll be able to push myself. It's all about finding your 'sweet speed' and sticking to it, trying to extend your run periods each session. It will take me MUCH longer than 9 weeks to get there, but I'm considering a half marathon for my 30th birthday (18 months away) so have what feels like forever to train.

Stick with it. I know you can do it.
  • allybtucker
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. After years of starting and stopping trying to jog, I was really starting to feel "defective". I think I never stick with it long enough, and I've never tried this interval type training before last week. I think it will really get me there, even if I have to start slower than a couch potato would. Thanks especially for the lung capacity suggestion. I just tried it here in front of my computer and had a coughing fit. Stupid micro lungs, I will enlarge you even if you resist!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you can do this! don't worry about your speed at all. slow is fine at this point in the game!

i spent 4 weeks on week ONE, 4 weeks on week four and 2 weeks on week six. it took me 16 weeks to complete the 9 week program. but you know what? i run now. you can do this! just keep pushing.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I discovered that in order to survive C25K, I have to jog really slow. I "run" on a 4.5 on the treadmill. I can walk on a 4, sustain a 4.2 jog all day, and run on 4.5. When I've done 5k's, I average 5 mph. You have to do what works for you while still stretching your limits. This is how you grow.

Yes, yes and yes. I walk / jog / run these exact speeds. Go slower than you think you need to. Build up your endurance, and the speed will come with time.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Go slllloooooooow. I mean slower than feels natural. When I first started, I was almost on the floor panting at the end of the first minute. Part of it was because I hadn't run (or even attempted it) in 12 years and part of it was because I decided in my head that one minute would be a cake walk and I pushed too hard. Go slow and the endurance will build. I'm in week 7 now and if I run slower than natural, I can run 25 minutes and not want to die. If I push myself, I can now run a 12 minute mile. Just give yourself permission to go as slow as you need, and then go even slower until you feel comfortable running for a full minute. Don't quit; you'll get there!
  • SunSand76
    SunSand76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just finished up week 4 of the c25k, and trust me I am not breaking any speed records. I think it's been the only way I've gotten through so far. I tried some running (walk/run intervals) with my daughter a few weeks before officially starting c25k and it pretty much turned me off. I was dying, gasping for air! I don't think I was running for anymore than 30 seconds at a time, if that. Once I started c25k I finally realized after run #2, I was trying to go too fast. But jogging IS running. And if you feel like you need to stop you can try to slow down even more just to keep up the jog. Sometimes I'm just shuffling along, but I'm still doing it. And I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was at week 1. I feel more endurance building and that is exciting. I still have a long way to go and I'm prepared to re-do weeks or certain days and that is A-ok with me. I'm determined to finish this out successfully. Give it another try. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes and remember to go at YOUR own pace. You can do it!
  • allybtucker
    Options
    This slower is better thing seems to be the advice of the day. I'm going to go out later when it's cooler and see how that works out. I'll report back!!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I still feel that way sometimes....especially for the first mile or two! just try and take a deep breath and go at whatever pace you need to! :)
  • allybtucker
    Options
    Well, you are all officially geniuses. Who knew that you could jog the same speed as you walk? :-) At that pace I was able to do the minute with no problem. I have to admit I felt like I was cheating, but at least I know how all the "minimally fit" out there were able to do it, and I don't feel like such a loser. Woo hoo, mystery solved!!