Weight Loss is the Goal, Need Macro Advise

Options
Goal: Lose weight
Means: Nutrition and light exercise (doctor restrictions)
Notes: have drastically changed my eating habits. I went from being omnivorous to being vegan.

Question to you all: What is the best macro ratio considering my goal and limitations above? Also, what are healthy protein sources I can incorporate since I no longer consume meat?

Any advise or links to resources would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For macros, I do 50% carb, 25% fat/protein (used to do 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat but it was tough)

As a vegetarian, I have slightly more protein options but I like gardein (I also use Morningstar but some has egg products) and quorn (which I think are both vegan but look into it). Also, tofu and seitan are good main component protein sources. Of course, beans and various veggies round out my meal.

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, tofu, soy milk, gardin products, Lima beans, peas, beans, I also use Vega protein powder. I believe Olly is also vegan but check me on that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    to lose weight your macros really dont matter its all for health to keep things balanced. if you go over one or under one its fine as long as you are at your calorie allowance you will lose,just make sure you get enough protein.as for best macro ratios, focus on protein the most(to help prevent muscle loss as that comes with losing weight) and let the rest fall where it may. what macro ratio works for some may not work for others.just make sure you get enough of all macros. recommended protein is 0.6-0.8g per lb. if you find you need more carbs or more fat or even protein you can always adjust your macros later on as well to fit your needs. Its all mainly trial and error with macros and finding where you are satiated.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    recommended protein is 0.6-0.8g per lb.

The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight. It's 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight. It's 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man. 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

The number varies drastically depending on where you get the info from. The DRI number you quote is, I think, the minimum requirement but most people try to exceed that. By how much is a matter of debate. It's in the debate section somewhere.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

its going to be different everywhere and bodybuilding.com says this "People who just exercise and do not diet should aim to consume somewhere around 0.8-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.
    If you're dieting and exercising, aim higher—between 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight per day." so thats just one site. IMO 46g is awfully low,especially if someone is exercising