Any good Tilapia recipes?

Options
Bronxmama50
Bronxmama50 Posts: 3 Member
Hello all! I'm looking for any good Tilapia recipes. Don't cook fish much, but do love it. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe - it's simple, but it tastes so complex.
    Tilapia with tomato caper sauce

tilapia-with-tomatoes-and-capers.jpg

Check out the skinnytaste tacos and the Thai curry
    Skinnytaste Tilapia
  • wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is farmed, and is not good for you. Try to find a white fish that is caught in the wild like Cod. Cod is so good, and it is so versatile.
  • Bronxmama50
    Options
    wowser5 wrote: »
    Tilapia is farmed, and is not good for you. Try to find a white fish that is caught in the wild like Cod. Cod is so good, and it is so versatile.

Thank you for your suggestion!
  • Bronxmama50
    Options
    I love this recipe - it's simple, but it tastes so complex.
    Tilapia with tomato caper sauce

tilapia-with-tomatoes-and-capers.jpg

Check out the skinnytaste tacos and the Thai curry
    Skinnytaste Tilapia

Thank you!!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Tilapia Pro's:
    • Cheap
    • Usually skinless and already filleted for you.

Tilapia Con's:
    • Muddy taste.
    • Low in nutrients.
    • Barely has any Omega 3.
    • Reputation for being fed animal feces.
    • Farm-raised, usually in poor conditions.
    • Contains more chemicals than other fish.
    • May worsen inflammation.

It's important to know the source and to use all your senses for inspecting the quality before buying. Some fish, Cod included, often has worms in the Summer time. They are visible with the eye. A good substitution would be Merluza, but that may be difficult to find.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've always heard farm fish is better than wild because it is more sustainable, and let's face it: cheap, lean protein is cheap, lean protein. Eventually you get tired of chicken.

This
    is one I want to try, mostly because I suck at pan cooking fish.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've always heard farm fish is better than wild because it is more sustainable, and let's face it: cheap, lean protein is cheap, lean protein. Eventually you get tired of chicken.

This
    is one I want to try, mostly because I suck at pan cooking fish.
    ooo darn that does sound pretty good.

• xcheyxo18
    xcheyxo18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia.

I preheat the oven to 350, I place the tilapia in a oven safe glass pan and pour about 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce on 4 filets add a dash of salt and pepper, lemon pepper, and lemon juice. I bake for 30 minutes and serve with baked shrimp cooked the same way and mixed veggies.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1129258

This is my go-to recipe for tilapia. It uses olive oil, spices, and balsamic vinegar to give it a nice pan-seared crust. I've also tried blackened versions that were good, but the flavors in this are a perfect pairing with a light salad or easy side veggie.
  • MichelleH7376
    MichelleH7376 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wowser5 wrote: »

Does Cod have a real "fishy" taste?
  • MCgardener
    MCgardener Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Halibut, Pacific Cod, wild salmon. I have read those are the three healthiest fish and the article actually specified no tilapia. FYI
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I turn it into tilapia salad. (Boil, pat dry, mash with some mayo and seasonings, portion out). But yes- you might want to not eat it too regularly (potentially farmed in a high pollution area).
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch page can tell you a lot about the sustainability and safety of how different species of fish are caught or raised. The tilapia page is here: https://seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tilapia?q=Tilapia&t=ti, but you can check their database for any species.