How much cardio do YOU do?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I walk 10-18 miles per day, with at least two of those (but usually more like 5-9) involving wearing a weight vest. I don't run, ever, unless something is on fire.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 days a week. All cardio, running 3-5 miles. I just started taking a box master class so I think I'll sub a few miles with the boxing class. Once a week if it fits in my schedule, I take a beginner crossfit class.

• alexshir
    alexshir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to get in at least 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes. I am recovering from broken ankle surgery that occurred in August 2016. I can only tolerate about 30 minutes at the moment and even that is painful at times. I use a Nordic track Free strider, which is a elliptical/treadmill combination. Before my accident I could do 45 minutes to an hour at a time. It's very frustrating, but hoping my ankle will get back to normal soon. I'm almost 60, so I want to get back to where I was. I also try to do low impact videos off of youtube, but still have trouble with plank jacks and mountain climbers, which I always loved doing. They put too much stress on ankle right now.
  • jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do 20 minutes of cardio 3 days a week and strength training and 1 day I do 45 minutes of cardio only. I'm working with a trainer once a week
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Another cardio-*kitten* here.

I walk to and from work so bank about 45 minutes of light cardio every day. I tend to walk at a brisk pace.

I used to hate running but now love it. It gets addictive - so if you're new to it, give it a chance. My preference is to run as fast I can for 30 minutes. I usually do sprints - so a form of HIIT.

I'm trying to do more weight-training, but default to cardio when I can't motivate myself to hit the weights. I figure any exercise is better than no exercise for general health.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    brittcody wrote: »
    Purposeful cardio (Leslie Sansone videos) is 45 minutes - hour, 3/4 times a week. Of all the cardio I do, it's about 73 hours a week.

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I walk while watching movies instead of sitting on my butt watching movies. I'd rather be sitting, but I like food.

I walk while I'm reading. My husband thinks it's hilarious, but the calories really do add up (and there are studies to support the idea that sitting for long periods isn't that great for us).

Are you listening to audio books? I usually read 100-200 books a year but I can't do audio books (can't focus). If I could figure out how to physically read though and walk at the same time I may be more open to this whole cardio thing :D
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I do 2 runs a week, about 5 k each run, sometimes 6 cause I'm working my way to 21,1 k
    Then I do 3 weight lifting sessions
    And 3 Crossfit wods that are like cardio + weight lifting and are awesome.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Purposeful cardio (Leslie Sansone videos) is 45 minutes - hour, 3/4 times a week. Of all the cardio I do, it's about 73 hours a week.

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I walk while watching movies instead of sitting on my butt watching movies. I'd rather be sitting, but I like food.

I walk while I'm reading. My husband thinks it's hilarious, but the calories really do add up (and there are studies to support the idea that sitting for long periods isn't that great for us).

Are you listening to audio books? I usually read 100-200 books a year but I can't do audio books (can't focus). If I could figure out how to physically read though and walk at the same time I may be more open to this whole cardio thing :D

It's not a magic trick; I do it all of the time. In fact, I'm doing it right now, walking circles around my dump truck at work, reading and responding to these forums on my phone, while waiting to get called to load.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I usually do 3x60 minutes of cardio per week (not counting random walks over lunch during the week which are usually 15 to 45 min depending on how nice the weather is). I love steady state cardio, doesn't matter what: stationary bike, elliptical, treadmill, walk... I just tend to get into a zoned-out head space and don't notice the time fly. I'm looking forward for the forest paths where I live to defrost again so I can get back to C25K, but not going to risk my knees on the iced patches neatly hidden by the treacherous snow.

My personal trainer is trying to get me to do HIIT but I hate it. He claims that the calorie burn would be so more worth my time and he tends to get on my case pretty much each and every time I see him. It gets annoying. I care about doing something I enjoy, not about maximizing my burns with something I positively hate. He's paid to teach me proper form while lifting and helping me adapt lifts to my medical limitations. Cardio doesn't come into it.

I might have to learn the 'read and walk' trick. I love to do both... :smile:
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

It's not a magic trick; I do it all of the time. In fact, I'm doing it right now, walking circles around my dump truck at work, reading and responding to these forums on my phone, while waiting to get called to load.

I think you're way more coordinated than I am lol. I do have a rebounder packed away somewhere though, so after we move and get settled in (next week!!), I'm going to try reading and using it at the same time :)
  • yoginipinar
    yoginipinar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swim twice a week for 60 minutes each time. I also run or do some HIIT one or two times a week before or after my strength training sessions. Running is on moderate pace and including some sprint intervals which takes about 40 minutes each time.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    When trying to lose weight, I do 45-60 mins of cardio 5-6x a week. That's on top of lifting and hour each day. While in maintenance, I do 30 mins of cardio followed by 30-45 mins of strength training 5 days a wk.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on cardio. I exercise 60-75 minutes a day, 6-7 days a week... mainly rowing with some running mixed in when the weather is nice.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - I can just smell that crisp air. And swimming in the lake! My happy place. I can't wait for summer!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I can't focus well on audio books either. I typically read on a Kindle and I walk in a loop around my kitchen island so I don't have to worry about tripping on anything.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Wait, 73 HOURS a week?!

I can't focus well on audio books either. I typically read on a Kindle and I walk in a loop around my kitchen island so I don't have to worry about tripping on anything.

I can't believe I haven't thought to do something like this before (I also have a Kindle). Ok, I may be joining you cardio people soon lol :)
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    I prefer lifting but I do at least 4 cardio sessions per week. I call cardio a "necessary evil." I hate it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting. It's incredibly boring. There's no adventure, no excitement, no fun. It makes me look and feel better, so I do it, but it's a chore.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love cardio. I can do an hour on the stairmaster a few days a week and I like to run 2-3 miles at least once a week.