Be my relationship role model!

Options
LeeBGoode
LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
I'm not going to go into a long story, but recently I decided that I need to work on being a better partner. My example growing up was horrendous, and my programming has been corrupted for sure. I'm making more of an effort to do nice things, like tonight we are watching my stepson's basketball game, so I'm bringing my sweetheart a snack and a tea, as he is coming straight from work and we won't get home until late.

Be my role model and tell me the big and little things you feel are important in a relationship!

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am in a loving and satisfying relationship with myself, all the others involving more than one human didn't work out (except friendships)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Been married almost two decades, so for us never going to bed angry.. Now that I am an empty nester spontaneity is fun.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    my boss says to always have a codeword that means "drop it" if an argument goes too far, and agree to immediately drop it
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    saying thank you goes a long way - even if it's for the every day things like taking out the garbage.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this didn't immediately turn sexual.

Communication is most important to me I think. Never assume your partner knows what's bothering you.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Make an effort to touch them often throughout the day. Doesn't have to be sexual at all if you don't want it to be. I think hugs and hand holding are underrated. Kisses goodbye are a staple.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'm far from worthy of being called a "role model" and God knows I'm still learning but one major thing for me is
    communication. In fact this is huge to me. I hate guessing games. If I have something to say, I'll say it, even if its uncomfortable. I expect the same.

As for the "little things", I like terms of endearment, a gentle touch (even in public), it's nice to know you're thought of etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Listen. Ask questions about what they did, how they feel about things.
    Talk. No one is a mind reader. If you want something, are upset about something then say it. Don't say you are fine when you are not.
    Have a common interest. You don't have to do everything together or like all of the same things but share something.
    Learn to do things for yourself and your household.
    Take care of yourself. If you are unwell physically or mentally get help or follow throughon medications/diet changes/treatment plans. It can stress your relationship a lot to have untreated problems.
    Compliment or thank your partner regularly. People like to feel appreciated.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »

Communication is most important to me I think. Never assume your partner knows what's bothering you.

That was always driving me crazy, and girls are usually the worst in communicating their needs. Boys are much better in that regard.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Accept them for who they are and what their goals are. Support how they want to improve themselves. Let a man know/feel he makes you happy physically and in everyday life. Understand that even the smallest break in trust will completely change a relationship forever.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »

That was always driving me crazy, and girls are usually the worst in communicating their needs. Boys are much better in that regard.

I can sympathize. Women want their partner to know what's wrong without being told. It doesn't work like that though.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Be respectful. When you argue, keep it above board. No cussing, calling him out of his name, no making him feel small. Brag about him to his friends. Conspicuously ignore the one staring at your cleavage and smelling your hair when he gives you a too long hello hug.

Be enjoyable to be around. Put a smile on your face and stop complaining. Be playful. Touch a lot. Don't talk a lot.

Enjoy sex. And have lots of it. But only with him, obviously.

Pray together.

Have a life. Putting the onus on your partner to be everything and everything to you is unfair and men feel smothered by neediness. On the other hand, don't have so much of a life that he feels sidelined. Many men have this feeling once women have kids and feel like their woman is more interested in the kids than him.

Let him think you need him to open a jar or get something off a high shelf. Ego, baby.

Forgive. That's the biggest and hardest. But if you are in a relationship for many many years, you will disappoint him and vice versa at some point. You can quit and get someone better who, after many many years, he will also disappoint you and you, him. People are people. Our notions of romantic relationships is actually a model of perfection, of which we all fall short. And add to that, it's highly unrealistic, given the reality we see all the time around us, but still whine about how the man/woman they get better be superhumanly perfect.

Notice patterns. Do you always have a fight before your period? Do you feel neglected during football season? Do you get busy during certain work cycles/seasons and he feels neglected? Is he cranky during certain times of the day or after certain activities? Instead of railing against "emotional weather," work with it. Take an umbrella, dress warm, wear shorts, whatever. Notice the patterns and work around them, not against them. If you know you are a cranky b before your morning coffee, don't talk about anything until after breakfast.

Stand up for yourself. Call him out if he oversteps with you, and do it early. Make it known you are to be respected.

Make him go out of his way. Have him open doors, take you to pricey dinners, make him want to impress you. Don't let him get comfortable. My hubs keeps my car gassed up for me and valets it when I come home after dark. They actually like this stuff for some reason. Don't ask me why, but they do.

Go out of your way. Cook. Clean. Get dolled up. Do the stuff he likes in the bedroom to your level of comfort. Suffer through stupid movies like Starship Troopers. And if your politics/social justice warrioring/sports opinions differ, realize he has the same right to his opinion as you do yours. So let him have it without belittling it.

I'm not a relationship expert by any means, but I am realistic. Long term relationships are hard and worth the effort. I highly recommend it, if you can do the work.

The advice I'd like from married men is this: how much should the man feel secure/jealous? I notice that in relationships if men are too jealous they act nuts, and if they are too secure they get complacent. There is some kind of balance that men seem to need other men to desire their woman and yet not feel worried she's stepping out on him.

I've always had men interested which keeps my man on his toes, but since I got more religious and had kids, I keep my distance from male friendships to stay away from temptation. I realized he was more into me when I had male friends he could scare off. But lately my gym going and dieting has my hubs randomly showing up mid day and making comments about why I need to get jazzed up to go out by myself. Do I calm him down, or feed it with the comments I get from the men I encounter?

OP, so that should show you - I've been with the same man for all of my adult life and I still don't have it all figured out.

And women who are married longer than me ask me what the secret is. And I'm like, I was going to ask you!

No one has it all figured out.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Don't smother him and let both of you have some freedom. Don't be super clingy.
    Oh and BJ's are always appreciated.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm getting divorced, so I don't feel qualified to chime in here.