Zumba question

Options
Hello hello! I just joined a gym and they have zumba classes. I love to dance in general and I have heard such great things, but I really don't know much about it. I have a reoccuring injury that involves my knee dislocating when I pivot with my foot planted. It's an old injury and after 10 years I instinctivly move in a way that won't cause it to pop out, but it can and will happen from time to time. And it sucks. I'm still able to run and do things like play tennis and other sports without much trouble. I guess what I'm really wondering is how much of the activity is stepping and how much involves pivoting, if that makes sense. I'm sure some of you have knee problems as well, how does zumba affect you?

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Zumba can be tough on the knees initially...lots of bending types of moves. Good news is that you can do this at your own pace and not push it.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem with my right knee... i havent had a problem (yet). you way want to just watch a class to see if you think you can do it or not. i would say you can look at videos on youtube but all instructors are different. you can also try to modify steps for yourself :0)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's high impact Latin dance.
  • plv2010
    plv2010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not every teacher teaches the same dances, so it depends. I can tell you that my class involves some pivoting and stepping. The thing I will tell you is not to rush it, and take your time. Most Zumba classes kind of throw you in it, and you just have to follow the instructor. I know the first class I went to, I was struggling to catch on to the moves, and I mis-stepped a few times, which could have injured by knee. But overall, Zumba is great when you get the dances down. Have fun and good luck!
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Lots of pivoting, but you can always modify to fit you needs. Zumba is so much fun to get out there and shake your money maker! LOL!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to check with your doctor. However, if you run, play tennis, etc. (high impact) without any problems, then Zumba should not bother your knees. Some of the moves are kinda tricky, but anything can be modified. As long as you're moving, you're burning calories! Just try it out one time and let the instructor know about your knees. They will let you know if you should modify or just bag it completely.
  • FullmetalAlchemistMommy
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba on my kinect for a few weeks now. I have the same issue with my left knee and just had surgery in march for my right knee. Depending on what steps you are doing, you will plant an pivot your foot. Actually, now that I think about it a lot if the moves require you to do that, I think its all the salsa/merenge inspired dance moves. If you have a patellar stabilizing brace, I would recommend it the first few times just to be on the safe side. I think once you figure out how to make the moves work for your body you should be fine. It's a blast and an awesome calorie burner. Have fun!!!
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    I'm a big guy and have some joint pain from time to time in the knees and ankles. I was at one point going to 3 hour long zumba classes each week and loving it. Basically the thing is just keep moving with the music. If you can't do something just like the instructor does it, no biggie. You're not trying to perfect a routine for a show. Just move and have fun. I'm sure the instructors put a lot of effort into planning the dances/moves so that it's a balanced workout, but I know that for me, it just made an hour of cardio fun.

In Short - If you can't do something without hurting yourself, don't. JUST KEEP MOVING!
    Good Luck!
  • deb20lbs
    deb20lbs Posts: 1
    Options
    I love zumba and I love to dance. I have been doing it now for over 2 years and tonight was the first time that I did two hours back to back in class. Because of this website, I learned that I was already over my calorie limit for the day and the 2nd hour was with a great zumba teacher. Each teacher is different and they all have their own style and intensity. Start with a beginning yoga class and one that teaches the true latin dancing instead of the high intense combo latin/hip hop class. Take it slow and stretch really good afterwards.
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It may be helpful to talk to the instructor before your first class. Let him/her know about your injury and ask if their are specific moves that you should skip or adapt. Also, see if there is a Zumba Gold class offered. It is designed for newcomers to Zumba as well as for active older adults. The Gold class typically will not required jumping or twisting the way regular Zumba does. I have gone to several different classes and enjoyed them despite some old knee injuries.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba, but it does bother my bad knee. I just adjust accordingly, and don't twist/pivot my legs/feet too much. So far, I've not had any serious problems. Give it a try, but go easy until you see how it effects you. Have fun!!!!!
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have a brace that I never wear (I know I know, but it's itchy!!) so I will bring it along for backup. Hopefully all will go well. Thanks for the advice!
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Be careful. There tends to be a good amount of twisting. You can modify, but if you are trying to do the exact same moves as the instructor, you may twist the wrong way. I agree, let the instructor know. At my gym they have a lower impact Zumba (I think it's called Zumba silver) you may want to start with and build up. Either way, if you are unsure of a move or choreography, just keep moving and make something up that you know you can do. I don't worry about looking like an idiot, because everybody is just concentrating on themselves so much nobody notices (well they notice me, because I turn ridiculously red, but that's beside the point)
  • northstar699
    Options
    It may be helpful to talk to the instructor before your first class. Let him/her know about your injury and ask if their are specific moves that you should skip or adapt. Also, see if there is a Zumba Gold class offered. It is designed for newcomers to Zumba as well as for active older adults. The Gold class typically will not required jumping or twisting the way regular Zumba does. I have gone to several different classes and enjoyed them despite some old knee injuries.

Oh man, if my sisters caught me I'd never live it down!! Maybe I can take my mother with me...
  • northstar699
    Options
    Be careful. There tends to be a good amount of twisting. You can modify, but if you are trying to do the exact same moves as the instructor, you may twist the wrong way. I agree, let the instructor know. At my gym they have a lower impact Zumba (I think it's called Zumba silver) you may want to start with and build up. Either way, if you are unsure of a move or choreography, just keep moving and make something up that you know you can do. I don't worry about looking like an idiot, because everybody is just concentrating on themselves so much nobody notices (well they notice me, because I turn ridiculously red, but that's beside the point)

Oh no, I turn red too!! That's why I've avoided gyms up until this point. Every time I work out it looks like I'm about to have a stroke! It's SO embarassing when everyone around me gets that concerned look on their face.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Go look it up on YouTube. It will give you an idea what its like and then make you decision from there, but look at several videos of it. Hope it helps!