How to get enough calories when long distance running?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It isn't a big deal when you eat the calories as long as you feel ok and don't notice any side affects.

I have done an hour of cardio in the morning without eating many times, and actually prefer to do it if I can.

Yeah, this. After all, most races are in the morning, and you don't eat enough calories to offset what you burn in a half or full marathon before. On the weekends I do my long run, and usually do eat before, but not that much. I eat afterwards.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would say usually I burn between 5 and 600 calories. For example, yesterday I ran 6.25 miles in 55 minutes. According to my technology that equivilates to 650 calories, which I suppose could be a slightly high estimate. I don't think I was clear enough in my first explanation. What I meant to say was sometimes if I workout at, say, 2 o'clock after lunch, up to that point in the day I've only consumed about 6-700 calories. So if I burn 600 running that's nearly all that I've eaten so far. I would just like some recommendations for foods that I can eat throughout the day up to that point. Preferably low in sugar.

I've recently been working out fasted, so I've had nothing to eat at all before my 11:30 am workout. If you feel good during your run, don't worry about what you're eating beforehand. If your stomach gets upset try adjusting. I like the list provided here: http://www.runnersworld.com/snacks/25-great-snacks-for-runners/slide/17
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I would say usually I burn between 5 and 600 calories. For example, yesterday I ran 6.25 miles in 55 minutes. According to my technology that equivilates to 650 calories, which I suppose could be a slightly high estimate. I don't think I was clear enough in my first explanation. What I meant to say was sometimes if I workout at, say, 2 o'clock after lunch, up to that point in the day I've only consumed about 6-700 calories. So if I burn 600 running that's nearly all that I've eaten so far. I would just like some recommendations for foods that I can eat throughout the day up to that point. Preferably low in sugar.

That's not a big deal, as long as your net calories at the end of the day are reasonable (ie: you eat a larger dinner or a medium snack in mid-afternoon). What's your net calorie intake at the end of the day?
    I go running on weekend mornings without a breakfast. I don't like to run on a full stomach.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Burning 650 calories after having eaten that much earlier isn't a big deal. At any given time, your body has as much as 2,000 calories worth of carbohydrates that is stored for use. Now don't take that as permission to go burn 2,000 calories while in a fasted state, but at the same time you have quite a few calories available. If you have eaten before you exercise then that helps the slow the rate at which you must use the stored carbohydrates.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's not really a big deal...net calories for the day are what is important.

Indeed. Or ever net calories for the week.

I eat a 2,000 kj breakfast, then burn that many calories on a run nearly every day.

I always eat back all the calories in my daily limit by the end of the day.

It doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body burns energy day and night. I eat three quarters of my daily limit at dinner/bedtime. I've lost 80 lbs this way, and also maintained my goal weight for 9 months and counting.
  • rachelpeers
    rachelpeers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Eat more. If you train, you need to eat. Underfeeding will ultimately result in recovery issues, performance issues, and will hamstring your fitness development. If you're burning more than you're taking in, you're providing your body with zero energy to perform daily functions, not to mention mere existence. Burning off as much or more than you consume is the same thing as eating nothing.
    Not to mention that if you continue to undereat, you'll start to sacrifice lean muscle for fuel. Not uncommon in long distance runners upper bodies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png