Cardio only weight loss or weight training?

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »
    What are the best weight training strategies for toning arms, inner thighs and butt?

You can't spot-reduce. Weight comes off different areas depending on your genetics.

A calorie deficit will reduce fat.

Weight training will give you a nice body.

Weight training will give you a slight calorie burn, cardio will give you more. Both are important for health.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    What are the best weight training strategies for toning arms, inner thighs and butt?

If by "toning" you mean building a little muscle, or at least holding onto as muscle as you can while you lose fat, then do exercises that work your arms, inner thighs, and butt while getting adequate protein and eating a small deficit, so that those muscles don't disappear faster than the fat.

If by "toning" you mean getting rid of fat so that whatever muscle you have is more visible, eat at a small deficit with plenty of protein while doing exercises that work your arms, inner thighs, and butt, so that those muscles don't disappear faster than the fat, and pray that your genetics will cause you to lose fat from your arms, inner thighs, and butt sooner rather than later. Because there are no exercises that cause spot reductions in fat.

If by "toning" you mean something other than those two things, forget about. The only real changes you can make in muscles is to build them or let them atrophy (get smaller). You can't make them "long and lean" (their length is determined by the points they attach to your skeletal structure). You can't change some quality of the muscle to make them "toned." There is only more muscle, or less muscle, or the appearance of more muscle or less muscle by having less or more fat over the muscle, and your genetics determine where the fat goes and leaves first and last.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    Okay so is it necessary to always drink protein shakes after or before lifting
    No. This is a ritual that was purported to be "needed" by supplement companies and magazines. If you're meeting your protein needs, all you're doing is adding extra calories with a shake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    So if im targeting to basic toning and mainly burning fat , i wouldnt necessarily have to do alot of weight lifting either way ?
    If your intention is to lose fat, you don't have to exercise at all. Just eat a calorie deficit. If you want to "TONE UP" the muscle underneath, it's not gonna happen unless the muscle is put under resistance. Which usually means some sort of resistance training. It DOESN'T have to be lifting weights. You can do it with body weight only, yoga or pilates or even decent isometric exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    If you mean losing fat in those areas, there are none. No exercise on any part of the body targets fat loss. You can target the MUSCLE underneath, but that doesn't mean you're going to burn more fat in that area by doing it.
    Realize exercise is for fitness and health. Fat loss still is about CICO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    see my thing is I'm considered bottom heavy (pear shaped) all of my weight goes to my thighs and butt and then when it doesn't fit down there anymore and comes up to my stomach and arms thats why I'm trying to figure out how or where the weight will start to come off from first or if there was a way to target certain spots .. but i guess not :(
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Alas, you aren't going to lose your extra weight from the places you'd like in the way you'd like. I'm pear shaped as well--weight comes off my arms, chest (goodbye boobs), and generally my upper body first.

BUT, a good progressive lifting program will help tremendously! My legs/butt are still proportionally bigger, but they are way smaller and less jiggly than they were before. I second New Rules of Lifting for Women. Major difference in body shape and composition for me--I'm actually going through it again.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you cannot choose where your weight comes off. If you rigorously maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose fat. Problem is, you WILL also lose muscle. This is why eating sufficient protein and doing some strength training are so important -- they help you hold on to that muscle that you already have.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You have to build up... and if you are new to lifting I would strongly recommend a trainer but imo nothing g gets results faster and makes your body look and feel better than lifting heavy things!!! It's weight training alllll the way hands down!
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ok i definitely understand better now , and have an open mind with everyone advice ...thank you!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    see my thing is I'm considered bottom heavy (pear shaped) all of my weight goes to my thighs and butt and then when it doesn't fit down there anymore and comes up to my stomach and arms thats why I'm trying to figure out how or where the weight will start to come off from first or if there was a way to target certain spots .. but i guess not :(

I'm pear shaped as well. For me where I gain first is where I lose last. My thighs and butt take forever to slim down and my stomach disappears pretty fast. That's me though and you may be different.

I do cardio, body weight strength (calisthenics) and recently started lifting. It makes no difference in where I lose weight but I do feel better and stronger and will look better at my goal weight when I get there being fit.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do both concurrently. Probably good to alternate days. Weight training on one day, cardio on another. If you do exercises like HIIT you can do them both at the same time. Cardio will burn calories but it won't sculpt your body. Only strength training can do that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ok i definitely understand better now , and have an open mind with everyone advice ...thank you!

Yay! Best wishes for your future training.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,134 Member
    Options
    If is has not been said, lift heavy weights (for you) ideally with free weights doing compound lifts while eating at a calorie deficit and eating relatively high protein and you will get a fit body.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/