Gum! I'm hooked

Options
Hate to admit it but I'm somewhat hooked on gum.. chewed almost a pack between dinner and my next meal

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    As long as it's sugarless and your jaws don't mind, I don't see a problem. My husband chews lots of gum. He quit smoking almost 5 years ago, chewed nicorette for a year and now just chews some kind of fruity sugarless gum. Oral fixation? I don't know, at least he's not smoking.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was like that for awhile. I had to stop myself lol I was chewing a large pack(32-34 sticks) every few days. hadnt had a piece of gum in about 2 weeks and I dont miss it.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh have about 10 packs stocked in my desk at work on a constant cycle! A co-worked and I chew a lot to stop us from snacking at our desk jobs. We simply stick to sugarless
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Oh have about 10 packs stocked in my desk at work on a constant cycle! A co-worked and I chew a lot to stop us from snacking at our desk jobs. We simply stick to sugarless

I had to switch.. was buying the large packs of crybaby sour gumballs and it was stealing all my carbs lol
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a freaking chewing gum junkie! But it's better than 2 packs of camels a day.

• EricaCraigie
    Options
    mellowadam wrote: »
    I'm a freaking chewing gum junkie! But it's better than 2 packs of camels a day.

Absolutely !! Good job cutting out the cigarettes :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    As long as it's sugarless and your jaws don't mind, I don't see a problem. My husband chews lots of gum. He quit smoking almost 5 years ago, chewed nicorette for a year and now just chews some kind of fruity sugarless gum. Oral fixation? I don't know, at least he's not smoking.

Sugarless gum still has calories which add up if you're chewing a lot of it.
  • showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm gum....I love it...I love mentos gum!!!!
  • EricaCraigie
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    I'm hooked on phonix

Lmfao
  • jphillips3200
    jphillips3200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

i'm willing to sacrifice those calories for my gum habit. I dont know what I would do without it!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Love gum!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sugarless gum has between 1 and 3 calories per piece,depends on the brand. I have never seen gum with anything higher than 3g of carb(yes that was sugarfree). so its not really going to be a whole lot of calories really.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As long as you dont look like some of those people who look and sound like cows chewing cud, then i dont see a problem other than maybe tmj.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As long as you dont look like some of those people who look and sound like cows chewing cud, then i dont see a problem other than maybe tmj.

Haahaa you just nailed why i quit chewing gum! I worked with a girl who chewed constantly and you could hear her from across the room. I got paranoid that i sounded and looked like her and stopped.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm a chain chewer when I get on a roll, but I try to have some self-control. I may or may not be chewing a piece right now and thinking about replacing it with a new one....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I chew gum to curb snacking as well.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I was thinking more from a "don't let your teeth rot" standpoint. 1-4 calories per piece shouldn't affect anyone's weight loss attempts, especially if the gum replaces snacking. I'm sure it would fall somewhere in the margin of error when determining your intake.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Me too :) just be careful that it doesn't pull out your fillings (if you have any!)
  • EricaCraigie
    Options
    At least if you're like me and chew it for hours straight you're burning those 10 calories or whatever from chewing.. which may be the value of the gum itself.