Explain my running times

Options
markymarkmark75
markymarkmark75 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I normally run 20km every morning Monday to Friday. Since last Thursday I have not drank any beer and my running times have been a lot slower, about 20/30 seconds per km. Last night I drank a few beers and some g&t's and then this morning I was running 1 min per km quicker than I have all week....

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What else have you changed?

If nothing, then the lowering of Calories (energy) and carbs (easily accessible version of said energy) could explain why you were slower. And adding some more in could explain why you're faster this morning.

That said, I wouldn't really advise booze as any form of preworkout or anything. ;)
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Running calorie deficit always slows me down. Got to love liquid carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    carbs...simple non fermented sugars in your beer
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Don't knock it buddy! Slip a G&T in your water bottle for your next run and you could be on for a PB.

Seriously - beer specially has a fair chunk of carbs.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You run 12 miles a day every day? a 60 mpw volume is impressive. You deserve good beer!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Beer fuel!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Could it also be hydration? Low alcohol beer would be providing you with more fluids. You could dry drinking the equivalent volume of beer in water and see then if it's the hydration or the carbs?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I always run faster the day after I've had a few drinks. I think it's just accidental carb-loading from the extra boozy calories (and sometimes subsequent snacking.)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    beer carbs! nothing like finishing up a cycling century and having a cold glass of beer
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Don't discount the possibility of a better night's sleep from the alcohol. Excess consumption(passing out isn't sleep or rest) will hamper your sleep, but a little bit will help you relax physiologically and rest better.
  • MichaelJM1960
    MichaelJM1960 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A few comments about running times: I run, I coach, and I drink beer. There's a lot of factors that lend to slowing times over a span of time. So far as the beer...the carbs analogy isn't helpful. While it is heavier in carbs than protein, a beer before a run is probably a wash as the calories from the carbs in it aren't very helpful; and with many, it makes you pee, which can lead to dehydration.

To answer your question more thoroughly though I'd want to know a little more after saying this: 12 Miles a day is a lot. I train and run marathons. The theory in training for those is peaking and ebbing distances that start around 10 mile average and gradually climb over 20 weeks to an 18-20 mile average for about 5 weekends about a month and a half ahead of the race. Those longer runs are only done 1 day a week. Weekly runs are 4-7 miles.

You're fit; but, you can still overdo it. I can tell you, as someone who has trained for a 50 miler, you're running so much your legs are simply tired. Your body stores electrolytes that it draws on for energy during a run. It stores them in "stores". As you run, you body draws on them....bloodstream, liver, fat, muscle, etc. As each store is depleted, it moves on to the next. The intensity and duration of your workout determines how quickly your body moves through them. The soreness you feel after a run indicates you're into the more complex types in fat and muscle...your body has to work harder to convert fat and muscle to energy.

Now, just like it takes longer to chew into the more complex stores, it takes longer to replenish them with rest, and if you chew into them often enough (20Km//day) long enough (Mon-Fri every week); you'll never recover.

- Consider doing your 20km Mon, Wed and Fri.
    - On Tuesday drop the distance to a 10km and do intervals (speed work); slow 2/3 and 1/3 fast (time or distance).
    - Rest completely on Thursday...walk, or ride a stationary bike.

This will make you faster, improve your stamina, and allow you the time you need to properly recover. I hope this was helpful.