Replies

• kaprice12
    kaprice12 Posts: 7
    Options
    :laugh:
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I go the weekly route for weigh-in. Same day, same time, unclothed etc. But I too am ocd (masochistic) about it and weigh myself daily and multiple times. Still, I only count the weekly for my weigh-in.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every few days but now I only weigh once a month and I'm much happier for it. It frees me up to just focus on the process and not stress out so much about a stupid number :)
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself every morning but I only count what I weigh in on Friday mornings... and I measure every couple weeks just to see :)
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Once a week now, I did two weeks and gained without knowing it.
  • Crystal529
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning about the same time. Although I do my official weigh in on Thursdays at 9:30 to see how much I have changed week per week. And yes over the weekends im a few pounds heavier usually and my weight fluctuates a lot in a day. Weighing every day keeps me in total check. keeps me motivated if Im losing, and gets me mad when im up so I gotta get back on track again. So thats a win win for me.
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Once a month, otherwise I get obsessive and it triggers my eating disorder. As long as can see changes in my body, I am happy :)
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, its a bad habit but i cant stand it. I report my weight to MFP every Sat am, if a change. So far its working.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Every morning, and again most evenings. I kinda average it out in my head, because weight fluctuates about +/-3 lbs from day to day. However, it's always about +2 at night, compared to morning.

I often weigh myself before and after a hard workout, to see how much water I lose via sweat. Sometimes it's up to 5 lbs on a really intense day.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weigh in 1-2 times a day. The official daily weight I take first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. If I have an exerting workout, I then weight after that to see how much sweat I got rid of. I guess it is a guilty pleasure, but I also use that to gauge how much water I need to drink to replenish the water weight. My wife and I have a weekly weigh in for our goals on Sunday. Lately I have had issues with Sunday being the worst day for weight results because I have been doing double shifts on Saturdays. Sucks when you have absolutely no chance to work out.

To answer your question, I would weigh in daily to keep an eye on any warning fluctuations that would indicate issues but only write down a weekly official weight. This way, you can fix any problems during the week and have an official record.
  • jgrice
    jgrice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Once a week on my gym's digital scales.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Once per week.

I don't own a scale so that makes it easy not to weigh myself daily. I've also heard "put it under the bed" or hide the scale in the closet". If I owned one, I would weigh myself before and after every bowel movement just to see if it made any difference. So, to protect my sanity, I use the biggest loser scale at the office.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I died laughing about the bm part!!!

I weight in 2x a week only because I'm OCD like that. My weight in time is different. If I had a scale at home it'd have a set time/day.
  • charm13s
    charm13s Posts: 9
    Options
    I like to weigh everyday just to see how weight can fluctuate doing the week. But I only log my weight once a week. I do it every Sunday morning at the same time. I can honestly say that only counting it once a week at the same time/day every week has always seemed to be accurate in terms of how my weight loss is progressing.
  • DoozerDMB
    DoozerDMB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only log what the scale says on Saturday morning. It helps to keep me on track to take that daily peek!
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning, as soon as I wake up. I only go by my weekly weigh ins, but I like seeing progress each day - keeps me motivated!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Its motivating for me. If it goes down I am motivated to continue. If it doesn't or goes up, which is usually does at some point during the week it movtivates me to work harder. I know it is going to fluctuate, so I dont get uptight about no loss or gains. I have pretty much learned my patterns. I consistently average 2 pounds a week, so the difference from day to day isn't a big deal to me other than to keep me on track. If that type of fluctuation bothers you I wouldn't weigh in everyday.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I weigh every few days, just to keep track. :tongue:
  • slimsophomore
    Options
    The most you should weigh yourself is once a week, or you'll feel like you're not losing anything, and get down. :(
    If you don't wanna weigh that often, twice or even once a month is fine.
  • InTheRightLane
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and report it to beeminder.com. With beeminder I am able to see trends in my weight over time. For instance, below is my weight loss history for the past 3.3 years. I also have other graphs that track more individualized fitness goals. I'm a little obsessive about data!

graph
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I heard that a study showed that those who weigh daily actually lose more weight because of being able to catch cues that you are doing too much/ too little faster,
    Yup this did come out recently. I weigh everyday. I think popular wisdom is that weighing once a week or a month is better. It isn't but I think I know why people say (and do) that. Some people have some sort of a weird phobia/addiction/anxiety around scales.

Many people, including me, just look at it like data coming, just numbers. The trends over a week or a month are important but, as she wrote, being on top of the fluctuations just is a sort of gentle course correction.

I think that it is a sign of a -not so good use of a scale- to weigh more than one time a day. Sort of all scientificy it is just good to use the same scale, at the same time of day, wearing the same thing (or like some of us nothing) and just adjust to the fluctuations, and the longer term monthly changes are much more meaningful.