Weight watchers and Calories

Options
I've been on WWE and it's going well. However since October I've been stuck can't lose the last 10 lbs. I tracked my calories on here the sometimes just to see where I'm lacking and what could help. I work out 5 days a week. Today I had a health assessment with a trainer one she noticed I need more protein second we notice all though in reaching my 30 points on WW depending what I eat I can barely get 1200. Today I thought I did horrible during the day so I modified my dinner so I can have 30 points. Well on here I made it to 1301 calories and I'm about to work out. The trainer feels I need to eat about 1500 since I workout so much and my body is probably going through starvation mode. Anyone else had trouble eating too little and not losing? Any other advise?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, because starvation mode, as your trainer explains it, doesn't work like that.

How are you measuring your point/calorie intake? With so little left to lose, you need to be as accurate as possible in your tracking.
  • pamuldrow
    pamuldrow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I measure food and eat the serving portion. Or are you meaning something different
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    She means are you weighing your food, using measuring cups, eyeballing, etc. :)

(Probably. :) )
  • pamuldrow
    Options
    I weigh my food on a scale. I use measuring spoons and and measuring cups. I pack every day for the most part for lunch to keep me on track so I don't have to guests.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to lose those last 5 pounds. You have to be extremely accurate- weigh everything- don't measure unless it's liquid. There is no room for error- if you are a sampler (taking bites, licks, tastes while you cook) this could make a difference. I stopped eating back any of my exercise calories to lose that last little bit and upped the intensity of my exercise. Starvation mode does not exist. It seems that there are lot of people out there that believe that it does and if you eat too little you won't lose weight. The term gets thrown around so much that people who you think are educated know what they're talking about when they say it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode = myth. Though if you're eating too little your workouts will likely suffer and accomplish less.

What is your height/weight/tdee? Do you use a food scale? Log every bite, beverage, cooking oils, etc.? Use a food scale for EVERYTHING?
    pamuldrow wrote: »
    I've been on WWE and it's going well. However since October I've been stuck can't lose the last 10 lbs. I tracked my calories on here the sometimes just to see where I'm lacking and what could help. I work out 5 days a week. Today I had a health assessment with a trainer one she noticed I need more protein second we notice all though in reaching my 30 points on WW depending what I eat I can barely get 1200. Today I thought I did horrible during the day so I modified my dinner so I can have 30 points. Well on here I made it to 1301 calories and I'm about to work out. The trainer feels I need to eat about 1500 since I workout so much and my body is probably going through starvation mode. Anyone else had trouble eating too little and not losing? Any other advise?

• pamuldrow
    Options
    Yes I log everything and measure and weigh my food.
    I'm 5'2 36yrs old as of this morning 146.6. My weight has been between 142 and 145 since September 29th. I tried something new to get more protein which was taking my husband protien powder and seem to put on a pound
  • pamuldrow
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's really been helpful especially about starvation mode and myths
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Measuring food and weighing food are not the same thing. Measuring (cups, spoons) is for liquids. Weighing is for solids. Weigh all solids, measure liquids - and determine how many calories you're really consuming. Do for 8 weeks and you should be down 2-4 pounds.

I am assuming that a 1200 daily intake at 5'2" is a 250-500 deficit. And that you have no medical reasons/untreated thyroid issues which could affect your metabolism.

Without exercise BMR of ~1300 per day puts your TDEE at 1570 for sedentary or 1700 for lightly active. So even eating 1200 is not a BIG deficit. Any inaccuracies will wipe out your deficit and stall your weight loss.

While exercise is not needed for weight loss, moving more burns more calories and can help to have buffer on your deficit. If you're working out 5 days a week, that increases your burn of course.
    Yes I log everything and measure and weigh my food.
    I'm 5'2 36yrs old as of this morning 146.6. My weight has been between 142 and 145 since September 29th. I tried something new to get more protein which was taking my husband protien powder and seem to put on a pound

• pamuldrow
    Options
    To be specific on my methids of measuring my food if the serving say a cup of this i use a cup or a half a cup. So I have measuring cups. I have measuring spoons so like a serving a peanut butter is 2 tablespoons I would use that. I have a food scale to weigh my meat or a potato something of that nature. Again all these tools I had since I start losing weight. I've started off my journey last year in March weighing 167.8. So the measuring and weighing food I have down. I was just thrown off by starvation mode because I haven't really changed the amount of points or calories consumed. The trainer believes it's starvation mode. She is not a nutritionist so I don't know how to really take the advise.

I actually don't have a thyroid gland anymore it was removed and I take synthroid going on 16 years now. However I get blood work done regularly like every 3 to 6 months to make sure my levels are regulated.

• rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Recently, I decided to cancelled my membership with weight watcher because I was not losing and I wanted to see what I am eating ..

I'm doing better counting calories and I see results...

The weight will come off just be patient
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    To be specific on my methids of measuring my food if the serving say a cup of this i use a cup or a half a cup. So I have measuring cups. I have measuring spoons so like a serving a peanut butter is 2 tablespoons I would use that. I have a food scale to weigh my meat or a potato something of that nature. Again all these tools I had since I start losing weight. I've started off my journey last year in March weighing 167.8. So the measuring and weighing food I have down. I was just thrown off by starvation mode because I haven't really changed the amount of points or calories consumed. The trainer believes it's starvation mode. She is not a nutritionist so I don't know how to really take the advise.

I actually don't have a thyroid gland anymore it was removed and I take synthroid going on 16 years now. However I get blood work done regularly like every 3 to 6 months to make sure my levels are regulated.

The serving should also have a weight measurement next to it I believe (I'm in the UK so we don't have cup servings on our packaging, hence my "I believe"). You need to use that and weigh things in grams that are solids. With a small deficit the inaccuracy of a cup vs the weighed weight can be significant. Especially with peanut butter, your two tablespoons may be waaaay bigger than what a weighed out correct portion is.

Cups should only ever be used for liquids.

It's not starvation mode.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options

The serving should also have a weight measurement next to it I believe (I'm in the UK so we don't have cup servings on our packaging, hence my "I believe"). You need to use that and weigh things in grams that are solids. With a small deficit the inaccuracy of a cup vs the weighed weight can be significant. Especially with peanut butter, your two tablespoons may be waaaay bigger than what a weighed out correct portion is.

It's the same here, always weigh solids on your scale using grams. Even if it says 2 Tbsp, there should be an amount in grams next to it, unless its a liquid. For example, Peanut Butter is 2TBSP/28g. use your scale and weigh 28g, too many inaccuracies with TBSP for non-liquids.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I changed to MFP how many cals I was eating in vegetables. A good thing, of course, but in WW they were treated as 'free' when I was doing it...but even veges still have cals! And that was a big chunk of cals that should have been coming out of my daily allowance.

I lost weight with WW back when it was just normal points (based on cals/sat fat only)...then they changed to propoints which took carb into account and changed counting sat fat to normal fat....and it was awful. If I used all my point including the new weekly points then I put on weight. If I ate all my daily points, I remained the same. That was why I switched to just cal counting, and it's been better. (I still have to eat under the recommendations to lose, but that's because of a medical condition, but just counting cals is much better for my weightloss than treating some food differently than others because of the carbs in them).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's the same here, always weigh solids on your scale using grams. Even if it says 2 Tbsp, there should be an amount in grams next to it, unless its a liquid. For example, Peanut Butter is 2TBSP/28g. use your scale and weigh 28g, too many inaccuracies with TBSP for non-liquids.

a easier way to do this - put the jar on the scale and zero it out - then remove PD/cream cheese/butter etc - until you get a negative number associated with the serving in grams

i.e. -28 for the 2TBSP of peanut butter
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    And this is why you are not losing weight.

Cups/spoons are not accurate for solid food. The label has a serving in 'cups' or 'spoons' but also in grams. Use your food scale to test your cup method. Put the spoon on the scale, tare it. Put what you would log for a serving of peanut butter in the spoon. Check the weight. Its most likely higher in grams than what you think. Just one example of where you're eating more than you realize.

You could try this, and see how things improve. Or you can keep doing as you are, wondering why its not working. What's the harm?

If your trainer believes in starvation mode, ask him/her to give you advice on fitness training only. The trainer is clearly not a dietician.

• pamuldrow
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'm surprised I'm measuring wrong especially I have been during that way and lost 20 plus pounds. But maybe that's why I can't get the last 10 off. No harm with weighing everything instead of using my spoons and cups. I don't eat 2tbls of peanutbutter either I was using that as an example of something I would use a measuring spoon for. I do use a measuring spoon for my creamer in my coffee so I will keep the difference in mind
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the last 10 will come off the slowest even with being accurate on everything,I need to lose 18 and its taking forever
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'm surprised I'm measuring wrong especially I have been during that way and lost 20 plus pounds. But maybe that's why I can't get the last 10 off. No harm with weighing everything instead of using my spoons and cups. I don't eat 2tbls of peanutbutter either I was using that as an example of something I would use a measuring spoon for. I do use a measuring spoon for my creamer in my coffee so I will keep the difference in mind

When you have a lot of weight to lose, you can afford to be inaccurate to some extent. When you are down to the last 5-10 lbs, that's slow going anyway, but inaccurate measurements make it much harder.

The good news is that sometimes weighing will actually give you more food. I created a thread last week regarding some soup and some ice cream I was weighing. Using grams I was able to get more food than the 1 cup or 1/2 cup serving size on the container.

I do think peanut butter, though, is the one food that goes in the opposite direction. Sad...