I'm gaining weight to quickly at 2000 kcals per day?

Options
dave_in_ni
dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
I'm 6ft, 175lbs. I went on a major cut last year, this year I have been gradually raising calories to build muscle. This week the goal 2000 kcals, now I'm fairly active and lift 4 times per week, 2000 should be the start of my maintenance, last week I was on 1800 and weighed 76.6kg, that's an average over the week, this weeks average 78.1kg

This happened over Christmas as well, I didn't go mad but gained 3kg. It seems once I hit around 2000 kcals I start gaining, 1800 or below and I'm in a deficit. I would say it's not muscle I'm gaining its fat as my lifts have been stalled for months. I'm gonna stay at 2000 for another week if I hit 80kg we have an issue as I should be able to hit 2500 kcals per day and be at maintenance.

Any ideas?

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    Options
    Anyone?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You're a guy and you are tall so 2000 cals is low for you, heck I'm only 5ft 2 and maintain on at least that.
    You probably didn't gain 3kg at all, most of it is water from you increasing your calories, the glycogen stores fill up but they will settle down, it can take a few days or a bit more. Stick with eating those 2000+ cals and then keep adding to those. You will EASILY maintain on 2500. I'm thinking of my hubby who is 6ft 1 and maintains on 3000 cals (he has an active job)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    ps from your profile name...you don't happen to be from NI by any chance? :smiley: if so, hello from a fellow Norn Iron'er :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A big jump for 1 week is probably water/glycogen or the actual weight of extra food.

Stay at 2000 and see what happens next week.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    ps from your profile name...you don't happen to be from NI by any chance? :smiley: if so, hello from a fellow Norn Iron'er :smile:

I am indeed from Northern Ireland. Mid Ulster.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    A big jump for 1 week is probably water/glycogen or the actual weight of extra food.

Yeah true. It's easier to nip these things in the bud before they get out of hand though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

Yeah true. It's easier to nip these things in the bud before they get out of hand though.

Reacting to fluctuations won't help you in the long run though... You'll just yo yo at the same weight
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

I am indeed from Northern Ireland. Mid Ulster.

ME too ...ish! LOL!!! :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Trust the process, give yourself a week or two eating at 2000 and then bump them up again - you really don't have anything to worry about, your weight will settle down fine, trust the process :smile:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Trust the process, give yourself a week or two eating at 2000 and then bump them up again - you really don't have anything to worry about, your weight will settle down fine, trust the process :smile:

Pretty much this.

I started my current bulk at 5'10", 168.4. I started out at 2600/day. Gained a bit, stalled, upped to 2800. Anyway, long story short, I started in early Decrmber; I am now 174.2, eating between 3200-4500 depending upon the day's activities, and still only averaging 0.68 lbs./week gained.

Dem strength gains though: it's been a fun couple of months of 5/3/1.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I agree with TRUST the process.

When I up calories 150 - 200, I immediately see a gain on the scale and then after a week or two it stabilizes. If I worried about these fluctuations that occur, I would not get anywhere with the bulk.. I expect the scale to flip out a bit the first week or so after an initial increase.

Trust it..
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP: We're all different. My weight is very sensitive to cal level and yours may be too.

I'm 66, 5'8", weigh 160 and exercise at a little every day. My estimated BMR is around 1600 and estimated TDEE is around 2100.

I have been maintaining at 160 for 2 months at just under 1900 cal/day. Lost 36# over 5 months by eating 1700-1800 cals/day. Tried 2000-2100 for awhile and immediately gained weight. So, only 100 cals up or down can have a significant effect on my weight.

Just continue to log your cals and weigh yourself daily. If you continue to gain at 2000 cals, you know that you need to cut back. Go back to 1800 to lose the weight gained and when you get back to your goal weight, try 1900 instead.

Don't worry about what your calculated TDEE is, it's just an estimate that has nothing to do with you specifically. As long as measured correctly, the scale and log don't lie.

Good luck!
  • jayBird131313mfp
    jayBird131313mfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am 6'4" and want to get back to my old football weight of 225. I am now a huge 289lbs! so should I maintain and build up muscle? i was a weight lifter in high school and could bench press 400lbs! I am 41 years old and have blood cancer, and am in a wheelchair! I am in a nursing home in Corning,NY. every one here is against me! i need some weight lifter friends to spur me on! I have a BMI of 2690
    I am a Vegan so I think I cured my cancer! but now I am a fat guy in a wheelchairi
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    i am 6'4" and want to get back to my old football weight of 225. I am now a huge 289lbs! so should I maintain and build up muscle? i was a weight lifter in high school and could bench press 400lbs! I am 41 years old and have blood cancer, and am in a wheelchair! I am in a nursing home in Corning,NY. every one here is against me! i need some weight lifter friends to spur me on! I have a BMI of 2690
    I am a Vegan so I think I cured my cancer! but now I am a fat guy in a wheelchairi

I'm guessing you mean BMR of 2690. A BMI of 2690 would have you weighing around the size of a small pickup truck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When you up calories, you're going to, 1) top off glycogen; 2) retain more fluids in general; 3) have more inherent waste in your system...that's all going to show up on the scale...not everything on the scale is fat. I'm friggin' 42 and 5'10" and my maintenance is around 3,000 calories per day...there's no friggin' way your maintenance is 2,000 calories.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When you up calories, you're going to, 1) top off glycogen; 2) retain more fluids in general; 3) have more inherent waste in your system...that's all going to show up on the scale...not everything on the scale is fat. I'm friggin' 42 and 5'10" and my maintenance is around 3,000 calories per day...there's no friggin' way your maintenance is 2,000 calories.

I'm 32, same height, and can maintain on about 2100 if I do nothing but lift 4-5x/week and sit on my *kitten*. The reason my bulk calories keep going up is because the more I shove into my body, the less it wants to sit still.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Right guys, over a month into this bulk, I've moved up to 2400 kcals on average now and my weight is 78.3kg from where I started at 76kg, so say roughly 0.5kg per week. Sadly I think this extra gain is fat as I've had zero strength increases in my training.

Am I on the right track?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You should post your routine in full, if you're in a calorie surplus you should be able to lift more. You might be doing too little to cause an adaptive response, or too much and not allowing for recovery.
  • dave_in_ni
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'd post it but this is the link http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172565211. I am doing the full body program.