How much cardio do YOU do?

Options

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used to do a mix of weights and cardio, and I need to get back into that. I usually run about 10 miles a week and row about 30 minutes a week.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy cardio? If so, then do cardio :)

I'm a runner. If I'm not training for anything, I run about 30-45 minutes, 3x/week plus a strength/cardio circuit class for 1 hr, 2x/week. If I'm training for a race, my mileage goes up accordingly.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @brittcody we have very similar goals. I run 3 days a week, 2 days of speed work and one long tempo run so the times vary. I have recently incorporated cv and resistance circuit training to lean out and build muscle. With the exception of my 10-13 mile run, all my other work outs are pretty much 30 minutes or less. To be honest, I look and feel better than last year when I was training for a half ironman and putting in TONS of miles and hours.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We don't all live in a natural paradise, though.

I sure don't! I live in an apartment building in a city. My neighborhood looks a lot like your afternoon run.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I ride horses 2-3 days a week 30-45 minutes. If you don't think thats cardio, then you've never ridden a horse.

Also try and go for a hike 1-2 days a week, weather dependent.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The amount I do is based on being a wannabe triathlete (I've done up to Olympic distance duathlons but swimming has always been my nemesis) My typical week will include running 4 x (including one brick workout) totaling about 40km/wk in the off season and peaking at 60 km closer to a race; cycling 3 or 4 times for around 100km weekly, swimming 2 or 3 times for 45 min to an hour. I also try to get in to the gym at least twice a week for strength (being consistent with strength has really helped with injury prevention).

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lift 4-5x/week
    ..and do Cardio a whoopin' 1-2x/week
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot, so I may be in a hotel 4 night/week. That makes me do cardio more than I want to. I run 3-4 miles Mon-Wed, Yoga Thu, weights Fri and Sun, and I actually run outside on Saturday mornings. So I only run a total of 10 - 15 miles/week.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I do not enjoy weights AT ALL, so I run about 50km per week and incorporate 1 or 2 interval/hills workouts in there. People talk a lot of crap about runners building no muscle, but in the year and a bit I've been running regularly (while maintaining my weight), I've seen a huge difference in both the strength and visual appearance of my lower body. It's done great things for my body and even my upper body looks more muscular since my body fat % has dropped a bit.

I force myself into a short strength training session once or twice a week, but I'm not doing any kind of progressive program or pushing myself much so I think I can pretty much attribute the positive changes I've seen to running.

I do ski in winter and cycle in summer as well, but not enough to bother including it when I'm figuring out how much I exercise.

All this to say do cardio if you want, do strength training if you want, both is best but don't worry too much about doing a bit more of one than the other unless you have a specific goal (lift x kilos or run x distance in x time.) For the sake of your heart and your bone density, yeah, it's best to do both cardio and load-bearing exercises, but I really think for most people whose primary aim is just health, it shouldn't be such a fraught thing. Totally different if you DO have those specific kinds of goals or are training for something in particular, but if you just want to drop a little bf% and feel happy and healthy, I'm not sure how much it matters which percentage of what you do.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    1 hour after 75 min weight session six day a week and 45 every night I walk 3 miles before bed
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds beginning in May 2016 by doing about .5 hour of cardio 6 days a week and eating at a deficit. A few times a week I will do light strength training or toning. I make sure to walk at least 10,000 steps a day - yes, I know it is not a "magic number" but it is the measure I use for myself.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do some kind of cardio for at least 30 minutes every day, partly because it's the biggest calorie burner but also as it is useful cross training for my chosen team sport of roller derby. I incorporate other body weight circuits and light lifting, but the cardio works for me and has definitely improved my performance in derby.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting. It's incredibly boring. There's no adventure, no excitement, no fun. It makes me look and feel better, so I do it, but it's a chore.

Have you ever tried Olympic lifting...I much prefer it. I do other stuff, but the Oly stuff is what gets me in the door.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    brittcody wrote: »
    How much cardio do you do and how many times a week do you do it?

As much as I can!

I'm aiming for 65 hours of cardio this month ... and I think I'm getting close. Why 65 hours? That's what I did last January. :)

As a minimum, I aim for 60 min/day ... but preferably averaging 90 min/day ... 7 days a week.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all kinds of exercise, so I mix it up. Probably do some form of cardio 6 days a week. I do water aerobics 70-90 minutes 3-4 times a week which incorporates both cardio and strength. I also like to walk, hike, and play disc golf. It's still cardio, but depending on my walking partner (or just myself), the hike, or the disc golf course will determine how intense of a workout it is. I have lifted heavy in the past, but right now I'm mostly doing bodyweight and light dumbbell exercises between the more cardio-esque workouts.

I also push myself to do yoga a couple times a week because I know it keeps me bendy and prevents injury doing the other things. I never regret doing it, but wish I could say I love it as much as other forms of exercise.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It fluctuates throughout the year depending on training goals. It will be ramping up here as I have a half marathon to train for at the beginning of May, and about 6 weeks after that a 35 mile hike. Rarely does it ever drop to less than 3-4x per week, although the sessions may not be very long.
  • Silvacobra
    Silvacobra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since this year, I have started to go swimming 3 times a week for at least 45 minutes. If my tennis club is starting the outdoor season, I like to play tennis too but from now on I do this and I feel great. Unfortunately I don't like jogging, no matter how hart I try. While I am playing tennis, I am not that focused on "just moving around" and sometimes I forget about how much I am running on the field. And when I swim, I don't feel my whole weight of course and it's a lot easier then.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Zero