Foods low in fats

Options
I been counting my macros is week 2 .I need ideas in easy foods my schedule is super busy. I been having a difficulty with my Fats ! I just can't seem to get it right everyday im always passing my goal and also not reaching my carb goals.is a little frustrating.
I don't feel so guilty with my Macro Fats I don't think I eat bad fats,once or twice a week I do have a little bit of cookie butter and gelato or frozen yogurt on my leg days. But I have been doing some research on IIFYM and a lot of people say I have to make my goals to perfection if not I won't be seeing any results!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    First, weight loss, assuming that is your goal, is all about calories. Meeting or not meeting your macros, assuming you stick to you calorie goal, will make no difference in terms of fat loss as that all comes from calorie deficit.

Second, most of the people who I know who follow macros usually look at protein and fat and the macros they need to meet or exceed and let carbs fall wherever they will.

Third, if you are just starting out as 23 posts seems to indicate, keep it simple, just focus on your calorie goal. Look at your macros to see what sort of meals help keep you full. If higher fat, higher protein meals fill you up, and you are getting sufficient nutrients that come from veggies and fruit, I would not worry about whether you are meeting your macros ever single day.

Finally, what is your macro breakdown? Are you following the defaults here at MFP?
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A lot of people don't know what they're talking about. They're likely trying to make themselves feel better for not being perfect.

Follow the best that you can if you want, but if you're not perfect you won't die or sabotage results. Today I'm almost embarrassingly low on my protein. Whatever, tomorrow is another day. Calories are what is important for weight loss anyway.

Instead of focusing on low-fat, try focusing on higher protein or higher carb foods. Those are a lot easier to find than low-fat foods that actually satiate, and your macros should balance themselves out.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I been counting my macros is week 2 .I need ideas in easy foods my schedule is super busy. I been having a difficulty with my Fats ! I just can't seem to get it right everyday im always passing my goal and also not reaching my carb goals.is a little frustrating.
    I don't feel so guilty with my Macro Fats I don't think I eat bad fats,once or twice a week I do have a little bit of cookie butter and gelato or frozen yogurt on my leg days. But I have been doing some research on IIFYM and a lot of people say I have to make my goals to perfection if not I won't be seeing any results!

Damn, does that mean I have to give back the 62 pounds I've lost? I generally come somewhat close to my macros, but I really don't care if I'm over or under on one (or all) of them for a day here and there. I try to hit or exceed my protein goal every day, other than that I let them fall where they fall as long as I'm within my calories. I generally eat a pretty well-rounded diet so they tend to fall somewhere in the ballpark (within 20-30g either way, which is close enough for me).

Calories are what matter for weight loss. Macros are helpful for general nutrition and body composition goals, but you don't have to hit them exactly every day to get results. Whoever says that is an idiot. People have successfully lost weight on all kinds of different macro ratios, there's no one "perfect" ratio for weight loss.

^This..

I try to hit my minimum protein and fat.. then I let carbs fall where they may. Somedays I was over on protein or fat, that is ok! And there were even days where I would be wayyy under on a macro, oh well, I moved on and tried to hit them better the next day. You definitely do not have to hit your macros to perfection, in fact, I rarely track and still have seen results :)
  • s3rialthrill3r
    s3rialthrill3r Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I find it to be a struggle to get enough fat in my diet on most days. I looked at my diary and I can see that a lot of the fats come from oils and sauces. Most of the meat I have is pretty lean.

As the others have said, maybe you just want to focus on your calories for the time being. Once you're comfortable with that, then you can make a few tweaks here and there when it comes to fat.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    The thing is that fat carries with it 9cals for each gram, so a person can easily overeat in calories without realizing it. I watch my "free fats" meaning extracted oils, or fats in sauces and dressings.

I don't think it's fair advice to say it's all macros when the measurement of those macros is different. Sugars are 4cals per gram and fats are 9cals per gram. So, I mean... yeah.

OP, just keep an eye on sauces & dressings where hidden oils might live. If you can get away from meat & dairy for a little bit (maybe not forever, or even every day), that will give you an opportunity to work on upping your carbs and really seeing where those fats are.

Don't avoid fats found naturally in foods, too much. Those fats help carry vitamins and things, just be aware of it is all.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    kayemme wrote: »
    The thing is that fat carries with it 9cals for each gram, so a person can easily overeat in calories without realizing it. I watch my "free fats" meaning extracted oils, or fats in sauces and dressings.

I don't think it's fair advice to say it's all macros when the measurement of those macros is different. Sugars are 4cals per gram and fats are 9cals per gram. So, I mean... yeah.

OP, just keep an eye on sauces & dressings where hidden oils might live. If you can get away from meat & dairy for a little bit (maybe not forever, or even every day), that will give you an opportunity to work on upping your carbs and really seeing where those fats are.

Don't avoid fats found naturally in foods, too much. Those fats help carry vitamins and things, just be aware of it is all.

I am not quite sure what your point is. If one tracks overall calories it doesn't really matter what macros make them up as long of the person can stick to their calorie goal. Thus, it is far more important for weight loss to pay attention to calories, especially at first, as they are what is driving fat loss. Where macros can come in is in finding the foods that fill an individual up which varies from person to person. However, again that has to do with compliance to one's calorie goals.
  • tefachikis17
    tefachikis17 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know what they're talking about. They're likely trying to make themselves feel better for not being perfect.

Follow the best that you can if you want, but if you're not perfect you won't die or sabotage results. Today I'm almost embarrassingly low on my protein. Whatever, tomorrow is another day. Calories are what is important for weight loss anyway.

Instead of focusing on low-fat, try focusing on higher protein or higher carb foods. Those are a lot easier to find than low-fat foods that actually satiate, and your macros should balance themselves out.

Thank you so much ? Would you say is better to take more protein then carbs ,or it doesn't matter?
  • tefachikis17
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Damn, does that mean I have to give back the 62 pounds I've lost? I generally come somewhat close to my macros, but I really don't care if I'm over or under on one (or all) of them for a day here and there. I try to hit or exceed my protein goal every day, other than that I let them fall where they fall as long as I'm within my calories. I generally eat a pretty well-rounded diet so they tend to fall somewhere in the ballpark (within 20-30g either way, which is close enough for me).

Calories are what matter for weight loss. Macros are helpful for general nutrition and body composition goals, but you don't have to hit them exactly every day to get results. Whoever says that is an idiot. People have successfully lost weight on all kinds of different macro ratios, there's no one "perfect" ratio for weight loss.

Thank you so much for the advice! And congrats on your weight loss
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Thank you so much ? Would you say is better to take more protein then carbs ,or it doesn't matter?

No, definitely not. Especially not for fat loss.I follow the MFP standard which I believe is the general recommendation (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) of 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. I don't stress about my fats very much because I prefer to have a high (good) fat diet. I just find I get my fats and carbs quite easily, so I mostly focus on protein. I don't use protein supplements so my intake tends to be quite a bit lower than some of the other numbers you'll see here, I would just rather eat real food, which for me is mostly plant-based with some dairy mixed in. So I guess, as for your question, I would recommend focusing what you're having a tougher time getting, which for most people is protein but could be carbs too. Remember that macros are a %, and if you focus on increasing one you'll automatically go down in another.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

No, definitely not. Especially not for fat loss.I follow the MFP standard which I believe is the general recommendation (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) of 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. I don't stress about my fats very much because I prefer to have a high (good) fat diet. I just find I get my fats and carbs quite easily, so I mostly focus on protein. I don't use protein supplements so my intake tends to be quite a bit lower than some of the other numbers you'll see here, I would just rather eat real food, which for me is mostly plant-based with some dairy mixed in. So I guess, as for your question, I would recommend focusing what you're having a tougher time getting, which for most people is protein but could be carbs too. Remember that macros are a %, and if you focus on increasing one you'll automatically go down in another.

MFP's default recommendation is okay enough, even though IMO it's a bit low on protein. If they work for you as far as satiety, workout performance, etc., call it good enough. A great resource for setting up your macros (and why) can be found in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

FWIW, my macros are set at 40C/30P/30F, which pretty closely corresponds to the recommendations in the above thread. Not only do they work out great for me in terms of satiety, but they also closely match the way I normally eat so I don't even have to really think about tailoring my intake toward hitting my macros - it just more or less happens, at least close enough for me. As I said before, I don't really sweat it if I'm off 20 or 30g either way, or happen to have a bad day once in a while and be low on protein or whatever. It all evens out in the big picture.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I am not quite sure what your point is. If one tracks overall calories it doesn't really matter what macros make them up as long of the person can stick to their calorie goal. Thus, it is far more important for weight loss to pay attention to calories, especially at first, as they are what is driving fat loss. Where macros can come in is in finding the foods that fill an individual up which varies from person to person. However, again that has to do with compliance to one's calorie goals.

The point is that fats are fine, but it's easy to overeat your calories through fats because they are more than twice the calorie load per gram than carbs. That's all. I'm not a hater. There are appx 120 calories in 14 grams of oil (1 tablespoon). It's easy to underestimate your caloric intake when you are not paying attention to fats. That's my only point.

In other words, we actually agree, we're just coming to the same conclusion from different routes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You do not have to hit your goals to perfection in order to see results. I have been doing calorie counting/macros for over two years now. I acheived my weight goal within the first year and have been maintaining ever since. I don't think I have had a single day ever where I hit my goals to perfection, I'm just going for "close."
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not sure what your budget is but get a George Foreman grill. I've been using ours that we got as a wedding gift and it has been a dream. We put all kinds of meat on it, including skinless chicken breast, tuna steaks, lean beef steaks. My protein levels have gone through the roof and my fat levels have dropped big time. I have also lost a good 12 lbs since we first started using it.
  • tefachikis17
    Options

What results are you looking for? Weight loss? Don't over complicate it. Eat food, most of it nutritious. Move your body. Do something that makes you stronger.

Then, figure out how tefachikis17 works. Does she feel better with more fats? Or more carbs? Or more protein? Then do that, eat what works for you, while still eating food, most of it nutritious.

Thank you. Im trying to loose fat but lean as well
  • tefachikis17
    Options

The point is that fats are fine, but it's easy to overeat your calories through fats because they are more than twice the calorie load per gram than carbs. That's all. I'm not a hater. There are appx 120 calories in 14 grams of oil (1 tablespoon). It's easy to underestimate your caloric intake when you are not paying attention to fats. That's my only point.

In other words, we actually agree, we're just coming to the same conclusion from different routes.

Yes I was surprised to see how many calories are in olive oil just for 15ml .Thank you
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your budget is but get a George Foreman grill. I've been using ours that we got as a wedding gift and it has been a dream. We put all kinds of meat on it, including skinless chicken breast, tuna steaks, lean beef steaks. My protein levels have gone through the roof and my fat levels have dropped big time. I have also lost a good 12 lbs since we first started using it.

I have one of those George Foreman grills. I've had it for years. I've never even used it one time. Thanks for the reminder. I should try it.
  • tefachikis17
    Options

Thank you ! I got mine as a wedding gift too..So definitely would be using more now