Coffee....good or bad?

Options
I love coffee..so does my boyfriend.we love tea also(more actully)but coffee is the only thing "on tap" at work.I just discovered this wonderful sweet cream creamer.35 calories a serving.so my coffee will be with 1 splenda and about 1-1/2 servings of this delicious creamer.thoughts?

Replies

• andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Should be okay as long as you're not having like 10 cups a coffee a day. =)
  • themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    I had a meeting with a nutritionist and she said what ever you drink, drink the same amout in water..

1 cup of coffee = 1 cup of water

this is what I try and do. and as long as you are not drinking coffee in crazy amounts like 8 9 or 10 cups a day i think you will be ok.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wish I could drink coffee - even a small cup does a number on my stomach. I've read that there are a lot of people for whom the amount of caffeine in coffee is too much, but from all the drinkers out there I always feel like I'm the only one.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine (and delicious!).

be careful of creamers --many contain partially hydrogenated oils. PHOs can sabotage your weight loss (even only 35 calories). There is one brand, International Delight, that doesn't use PHOs.

Check labels of all processed foods for PHOs and make sure to avoid brands that use them.

blessings.
  • magali86
    magali86 Posts: 4
    Options
    drop the coffee and stick to great tea. Coffee is not good for you in the long run. Also take lost of water this never hurts.
  • hiimshadoe
    hiimshadoe Posts: 122
    Options
    Okay thank you guys, I mainly just want to drink a couple (2-3) cups when I'm at work.
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    Mmmmm.... Coffee. This is one of the things I won't give up. I have coffee everyday, sometimes more than once. And I like it my way( creamer and fake sweetener.). Just make sure it fits into your limit and drink plenty of water to contrast the caffeine.
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I gotta have my coffee with my sugar free creamer every morning......love it !
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my coffee. Its wonderful :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I don't eat fast food. I don't drink pop.

I figure if the worst part of my eating is coffee with creamer (no sugar free, either.. *gag*) and an occasional Reese's peanut butter cup or some milk chocolate almonds..

I'm doing just fine.

I say - go ahead and drink the coffee. Just be sure you're drinking enough water to counteract the caffeine in the coffee. :)
  • erinbeckerin
    erinbeckerin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since I drink 2-3 strong cups a day I've switched to half-decaf whenever possible. Too much caffeine is (potentially) tied to a handful of adverse health consequences.
  • bcrugbygirl
    bcrugbygirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i stick to adding cinnamon and/or vanilla extract to it to flavor it and if i want it creamy i add a lil milk but usually drink my coffee black
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    Coffee alone is zero calories. in fact the caffeine actually increases your metabolism.faster heart rate and all.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The faster heart rate you get from the caffeine in coffee, tea and soda is not a good metabolism boost. It is a one that will leave you slower and more sluggish than ever if you drink too much.
    That being said. I too enjoy my coffee. Always have, always will. I do drink decaf and I prefer powdered creamer, no sugar or sugar substitute. I spent years drinking regular though. (Don't want to seem like a hypocrite here.) Regular coffee isn't going to kill you if you drink it in moderation. But if you are looking at the calories, sugar etc, be careful what you put in it. It does add up if you aren't careful!
    :drinker:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Things aren't always as simple as boiling down to "good or bad". There are benefits as well as risks to almost everything.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think having a cup or two of coffee is fine. It is one of the things I will not give up, I love coffee. I cut back to one big cup in the morning and that works fine for me. I drink mine with low fat milk usually and enjoy every drop of it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you were having one full fat venti caramel macchiato a day from Starbucks, then that would be bad just because you would be losing over 300 calories and something like 13 grams of fat to a drink. But regular coffee? No sweat. I enjoy a coffee every morning with either skim milk or So Delicious coconut milk creamer and a teaspoon of real sugar, all for less than 50 calories. It's worth every calorie!
  • vnvdvci
    vnvdvci Posts: 16
    Options
    Umm, coffee's actually pretty good for you. Lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes, discourages development of gallstones, colon cancer, Parkinson's and liver disease. And improves cognitive function.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/coffee_health_risk

I really don't understand why it got such a bad rap in the first place. Just make sure to stay away from creamer's. Milk, half and half, or cream. And don't drink a crazy amount (more than 2 cups, I'd say)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think you're good. I drink around 2 cups a day. I couldn't give it up completely.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have about 16 oz every morning. I fill my travel mug, add 2 tsp splenda and some (not sure how much, I eyeball it) of the Great Value brand fat free french vanilla creamer. It is delicious.