confusion

I think I need to lose weight, but I don't know how much. I gained a bunch of weight, but I don't look much bigger than I sued to and the whole times I was working out fairly consistently including using weight machines. I know I have muscled up a little and muscles weigh more. when I do the waist hip ratio thing ti says I don't need to lose any weight.

I feel like I need to lose some weight.. maybe just 10 pounds, but I'm heavier then I've been.

I know it is also bad to lose too much weight too fast or to yoyo weight.. and a couple years ago I lost a ton of weight doing the couch to 5k thing getting down to a weight I hadn't been for a very long time. So any advice???

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    What are your stats?
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Muscle does not weigh more then fat.

a pound is a pound no matter if its a brick or feathers. Muscle takes up less space then fat.
    However unless you were heavy lifting progressively and eating a calorie surplus, you didn't gain any muscle at most you were only toning the muscle you have. Put your stats into MFP and set the goal to .5 pounds per week loss and go from there, eat back a portion of your excersize calories.

That's incorrect. I put on a considerable amount of muscle mass while losing 160 lbs.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    You're confusing weight for mass.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

a pound is a pound no matter if its a brick or feathers. Muscle takes up less space then fat.
    However unless you were heavy lifting progressively and eating a calorie surplus, you didn't gain any muscle at most you were only toning the muscle you have. Put your stats into MFP and set the goal to .5 pounds per week loss and go from there, eat back a portion of your excersize calories.

That's incorrect. I put on a considerable amount of muscle mass while losing 160 lbs.

The laws of physics say that is not possible.
  • 1lauratm1
    1lauratm1 Posts: 5 Member
    at Kris.. yah that was what I meant, muscle takes up less space. I was lifting progressively so I think that is why my size didn't change much. I do think I gained weight/ fat though too! Thanks I will aimed for .5 a week and try for 15-20, but keep going (watching calories afterward to see what happens and if nothing else keep myself form yo-yoing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Stop it. You can gain a little muscle while you lose weight if you are obese and training with a progressive overload. Considerable amount? No. A little? Yes.
    http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Against the laws of physics? Why don't you provide us with the scientific study you gathered that information from? Might have a hard time citing your rear end as a reference.
  • jbob1488
    jbob1488 Posts: 1 Member
    Losing body fat is the best time for gains if you eat the right way for it. Lost 120 pounds and have way more muscle mass then I ever had.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Muscle takes up less space then fat.

Since this is precisely what people mean when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" -- i.e. it's denser -- it's uselessly pedantic to correct folks every time they say it. Only a complete moron would assert that a pound of muscle weighs less than a pound of fat, and I tend to assume people are not complete morons.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    and I tend to assume people are not complete morons.

We don't know the same people obviously. I've been online enough to know enough of them are.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Stop it. You can gain a little muscle while you lose weight if you are obese and training with a progressive overload. Considerable amount? No. A little? Yes.
    http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/

Yep! This. Newbie gains.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

No, it doesn't. A liter is a liter no matter if it's brick or feathers. :smiley:

Everyone knows that "muscle weighs more than fat" is a casual way of saying "muscle is more dense than fat".
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »

The laws of physics say that is not possible.

Actually, they don't. Fat cells release fat when the body needs energy. Muscle develops when they are strained and there is sufficient protein to rebuild them. You can have a lack of energy and have sufficient protein at the same time, but you have to get the balance just right or the excess protein will be stored as fat or you will have insufficient protein to repair your muscles.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Ok guys let's clear this up...

By VOLUME muscle weighs more than fat. That's what people mean when they say that- Like a cup of muscle definitely weighs more than a cup of fat. Just like a cup of water weighs more than a cup of feathers. No one in the world thinks a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat- they both obviously weigh a pound. They mean the same amount (volume) of muscle weighs more than that same amount (volume) of fat. That's why a muscular person with low body fat with the same measurements as someone with high body fat and less muscle will weigh more. It's also why someone can lose inches yet not lose weight if they are simultaneously losing fat and gaining muscle.

And before you jump all over that one... yes it's possible to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if it is one of 2 specific situations:
    1) Recomposition- eat at maintenance calories and training with weights/resistance. (I've done this personally)
    2) if someone is both new to weight training and also overweight they can gain muscle while losing body fat and in a caloric deficit- but only for a little while. (I've also done this personally)

OK??
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    and I tend to assume people are not complete morons.

We don't know the same people obviously. I've been online enough to know enough of them are.

I assume it until it's demonstrated otherwise, that is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Muscle does not take up less space than fat. A cubic meter is a cubic meter if it's a brick or feathers.

• 1lauratm1
    1lauratm1 Posts: 5 Member
    mass definition. In physics, the property of matter that measures its resistance to acceleration. Roughly, the mass of an object is a measure of the number of atoms in it. The basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. (See Newton's laws of motion; compare weight.)

some things have more particles within a unit of space

ie.e muscle has more mass then fat.. ie. you can have more muscle than fat in a certain amount of space. Also, of course I am counting calories. I just don't know how long ot count or how many, btu whatever at least it will inspire me to do matinence. WHy woudl I be on here if Iw asnt' usign it?
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Who's on first! OMG!
    We still have not answered her original question. I think it is more important that you feel healthy and strong, and you are in the range of what doctors say is a healthy. We still do not know your current stats.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    1lauratm1 wrote: »
    I think I need to lose weight, but I don't know how much. I gained a bunch of weight, but I don't look much bigger than I sued to and the whole times I was working out fairly consistently including using weight machines. I know I have muscled up a little and muscles weigh more. when I do the waist hip ratio thing ti says I don't need to lose any weight.

I feel like I need to lose some weight.. maybe just 10 pounds, but I'm heavier then I've been.

I know it is also bad to lose too much weight too fast or to yoyo weight.. and a couple years ago I lost a ton of weight doing the couch to 5k thing getting down to a weight I hadn't been for a very long time. So any advice???

OP, please share your height, weight, sex, and age so people can give you helpful advice and tips.
    If you don't want to share that info, look up the average weight for your age and height on a BMI chart. Enter your stats into MFP and set your goal for 0.5 lb loss per week. Weigh your food as described on MFP, log everything, eat back half your exercise calories, and go from there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    There's really no reason why the OP needs to share that information. My recommendation to the OP is to step on the scale to get her current weight. It seems like she is saying she doesn't know what she weighs or what she needs to lose. A person should weigh in at least once a week. If you know your weight then you know what you need to do. If you are on the heavy side, you cut calories and if you are on the light side you eat more. But you have to know where you are at before you can figure out how to get to where you want to go.