Gym Hair, DO Care!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Try a French braid with the end tucked in and then secured with clips.

I tend to just do a ponytail without pulling the ends though. I will water wash (WO) or co-wash (wash with conditioner instead of shampoo) after workouts and wash with shampoo 2 weekly.
    My hair is butt length, used to be to my thigh. I usually do a ponytail bun secured with a hairstick. Sometimes a braided ponytail is OK. I tend to wash M/W/F with dry shampoo in between. I use "not your mother's" from Walmart or Ulta. I wear my hair down at work. I style my hair with water and hair cream or mousse, scrunched, naturally wavy.

Hey, I used to have butt length hair, too. Lhc? I noticed you use a hairstick! :smiley:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    trudie_b wrote: »
    Wow, I guess I must sweat more than some of you ladies. My hair is soaked by the time I finish a workout, especially around the hairline. Not washing it really isn't an option. Dry shampoo really wouldn't cut it.

Your conclusion is not correct. I sweat a lot during my workout It drips form my face and I my hair will be wet with sweat - However just like with water - my hair will dry again given time. My husband simply rinses his hair halfway through the week -no soaps at all.
    Washing it every day would dry out my hair and my scalp and would cause major dandruff. Honestly, leaving your scalp and hair alone and not washing is fine. It took me some will power to get into this routine but after a month it was fine and my scalp calmed down and stopped over producing to counter the negative effects of the shampoo.

As well as my head feeling less itchy,my hair looking better it has saved me a bundle in money in, for me, totally unnecessary chemicals.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    sympha01 wrote: »
    Different people have different chemistry and hence, different grooming requirements. That being said, I think many white people have a tendency to over-wash their hair.

:laugh:
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member

Your conclusion is not correct. I sweat a lot during my workout It drips form my face and I my hair will be wet with sweat - However just like with water - my hair will dry again given time.

Yeah, but if I leave mine to dry (I've tried this), the salt from the sweat leaves it all stiff and crunchy!!

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited January 2017
    I had long hair & cut it short about 10 years ago for this exact reason. I love it and would never go long again.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member

I tend to just do a ponytail without pulling the ends though. I will water wash (WO) or co-wash (wash with conditioner instead of shampoo) after workouts and wash with shampoo 2 weekly.
    My hair is butt length, used to be to my thigh. I usually do a ponytail bun secured with a hairstick. Sometimes a braided ponytail is OK. I tend to wash M/W/F with dry shampoo in between. I use "not your mother's" from Walmart or Ulta. I wear my hair down at work. I style my hair with water and hair cream or mousse, scrunched, naturally wavy.

Hey, I used to have butt length hair, too. Lhc? I noticed you use a hairstick! :smiley:

Yes, I used to be very active on LHC! I cut alot the last couple years, had a haircut accident, and haven't been on as much. The hairstick holds my bun better than any pins or claw clips. The only other thing that comes close is linzi clips.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I have just longer than shoulder length hair- and I rinse it if i don't sweat much- and then use SLS free conditioner otherwise- I 100% do not wash it daily.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I use shampoo once every 7-10 days. On in between days I rinse or wash with conditioner. My hair is curl and between chin and ear length and kind of like this. I workout at home mostly so I just use a headband or bobby pins to hold it back.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    My hair is too short to go in a ponytail, so I pin it back, wear a buff, or just throw on a baseball cap... which has the added benefit of keeping swear dripping on my face.

I wash my hair with shampoo once a week, and just rinse it in cool water the rest of the time or use dry shampoo.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My hair would end up looking something this if i shampooed it everyday

vjv1qm05pnex.jpg

I have to wear it up on shampoo days, as it goes all soft, fluffy and bouffant-y and just completely refuses to do as it's told!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I rinse my hair every day when I shower and shampoo 2-3 days a week. My hair gets too sweaty not to rinse it and not a fan of dry shampoo.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    trudie_b wrote: »
    Wow, I guess I must sweat more than some of you ladies. My hair is soaked by the time I finish a workout, especially around the hairline. Not washing it really isn't an option. Dry shampoo really wouldn't cut it.

I just sweat when it's hot and humid outside. In my gym where the thermostat is set to 64-67 degrees F, I don't sweat despite lifting heavy.

In the spring and fall I can go 3-4 days in between shampooing, but with this dry winter air my hair gets yucky feeling quicker. I've switched to a heavier conditioner, and that seems to have helped.

A lot of you have mentioned chemicals. I don't buy shampoo with artificial fragrance, etc., and these can be impossible to find locally unless you are near a Whole Foods/natural food store.

Here are some brands I like:

http://www.iherb.com/Acure-Organics-Hydrating-Shampoo-Moroccan-Argan-Stem-Cell-Argan-Oil-8-fl-oz-236-ml/40492

Vegan - Sulfate Free- Paraben Free- Cruelty Free

https://www.amazon.com/Aubrey-Organics-Mosqueta-Conditioner-Certified/dp/B0006GZC88/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483309796&sr=8-4&keywords=aubrey+rose+conditioner it was cheaper on iherb but they've stopped carrying it there :(

You may be able to check out the chemicals in your shampoo in EWG's database: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017

Yes, I used to be very active on LHC! I cut alot the last couple years, had a haircut accident, and haven't been on as much. The hairstick holds my bun better than any pins or claw clips. The only other thing that comes close is linzi clips.

Me too! :laugh: I knew it. @DancingMoosie I never hear anyone outside of lhc discuss hair sticks.

I hear Ficcares are fantastic, but I've never owned one. I've also wanted one of those moons... :/

I also cut right from BCL (all hennaed) to chin. I then went on a dying and bleaching spree (I know, gasp, right?) It is now between shoulder and apl. One of my best friends from lhc (she used to be more active around 4 years ago) there has the most gorgeous thigh-knee length hair!
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Dry shampoo will help your hair look full, make it manageable for workouts and make it smell nice :) my hair is...about 2 inches maybe 3ish past my shoulders...I wash my hair maybe twice a week, and I work out about 6 days a week. Dry shampoo is my BFF
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Resurrecting this thread to say, I cut my hair off, and I'm so pleased I did! It's a super short pixie at the back, and an angled bob at the front. Sooo much better for the gym.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    I workout 6 days of the week, twice a day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and there's no chance in hell I'll wash my hair after every workout. I usually have a braid or a ponytail/bun when I'm working out.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    I rinse my hair every day when I shower and shampoo 2-3 days a week. My hair gets too sweaty not to rinse it and not a fan of dry shampoo.

Same here!
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Dry shampoo will help your hair look full, make it manageable for workouts and make it smell nice :) my hair is...about 2 inches maybe 3ish past my shoulders...I wash my hair maybe twice a week, and I work out about 6 days a week. Dry shampoo is my BFF

What brand do you use? I've tried a couple and it makes my hair look terrible. I have straight then hair.
  • No matter what I do to my hair I always end up looking like Joey Ramone a half hour later. Bun or braid in all that I do.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Mine is wavy/curly and coarse coarse textured, sort of wiry by its nature. When it was superlong I washed once a week because it took two days to dry completely; and just put it in a braid to work out, sort of looped up and low, it was too heavy to bun and then bounce around.

Now it's layered and shorter, ponytail works best. I do sweat everyday and wash twice a week or so but because of the texture of my hair don't have any problems really, it's resistant to water.