Workouts for runners?

Hi all,

My question is if anyone knows of any workout routines or cross training that would be useful for runners. I ran my first 5K in 2015 but plans for a second last year had to be abandoned because I was basically on the verge of injury from a cardio-only program.

I do see a trainer but can only afford to see him once a week and we don't really see eye to eye on my concerns because I don't think I'm active enough and he does.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Water exercises. Anything that builds up your core strength and flexibility like Pilates and Yoga. Cycling.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I do 2-3 strength workouts a couple times a week - about 20-30minutes - you can find lots of free workouts on youtube - I like fitness blender - they have some full body workouts; I also added TRX into my training plan once a week, as well as yoga
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Hi all,

My question is if anyone knows of any workout routines or cross training that would be useful for runners. I ran my first 5K in 2015 but plans for a second last year had to be abandoned because I was basically on the verge of injury from a cardio-only program.

I do see a trainer but can only afford to see him once a week and we don't really see eye to eye on my concerns because I don't think I'm active enough and he does.

Any thoughts?

A suggestion:

http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are tons of great programs out there. I'd focus on ones that include lots of single leg work & core work.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    You can check out Runner's World for some workouts geared towards runners. Building strength in your legs and core are obviously important, but I also work my upper body as well. Workouts for runners will typically be geared more towards lower weight and higher reps instead of lifting heavy. I run 5x per week, do 1 day of non running cardio, 2 days of strength, and a short 20 minute runner's yoga 2 to 3x per week.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I second the TRX, and anything that will strengthen your core. You may want to incorporate some HIIT once or twice a week too.

I try to run 3-4 times a week, 2-3 TRX workouts and add in some plyometrics.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Cycling. I can run a lot further in the summer/Fall before leg fatigue kicks in from the extra 'strength training' from cycling hills. And strengthening arms will help with speed (increased cadence). Most of my core strengthening comes from dancing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    swimming or cycling.

i have seen massive improvements in my running by adding in some cycling.
  • Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks everyone!

If I can just voice my concern about YouTube: I've read that there's a reason those are free, because the right search term can pull up just about anything...and I have to be honest in saying I don't know a burpee from a bench press (because I don't know what a burpee is). So I've had to make a habit out of crosschecking anyone whose videos I might be considering. If no credential is shown on their profile, it's as good as no certification at all in my book...and I have to concede that's something I don't want to compromise on.

I think that's why I lost faith in workout programs. I was with Daily Burn for a few months, and they claim that their trainers are certified. But I couldn't verify that the trainer for the program I had chosen (True Beginner, led by Justin Rubin) really was certified, so it was barely two weeks in before I started questioning his competence. Once that happened, I had an excuse to not give my best that couldn't be worked around because I no longer felt any connection. So that was it, I was done. I likely will never go back there because I felt betrayed.

My concern is that YouTube feels like the Wild West...and on that front I have to concede Fitness Blender is out because I can't confirm either trainer is nationally certified.

I'm loving the cycling idea though...there's a stat bike in my house. :)
  • irocentric
    irocentric Posts: 2 Member
    It's very important that you work rest days into your routine, which is what I suspect your trainer wants you to do. Your muscles need time to recover and it will help you avoid injury down the road.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you want some strength/resistance training, try a programme like You are your own Gym or New Rules of lifting for women.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    certification/accreditation as a trainer isn't always required by the letter of the law; workplaces can require it if they desire, but it has to be published as part of the required job description, or provide some legal context as to why it is...I used to develop certification/accreditation programs for my day job and we ran into that discussion quite often - could we require folks to pursue said certifications

FWIW- I've seen really crappy trainers who are certified by national bodies and awesome ones who aren't...
  • Nanjass02
    Nanjass02 Posts: 3 Member
    Download an app called Spartan workouts! It is awesome for maintaining your cardio condition and it also makes you stronger
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I second the TRX, and anything that will strengthen your core. You may want to incorporate some HIIT once or twice a week too.

I try to run 3-4 times a week, 2-3 TRX workouts and add in some plyometrics.

TRX recently posted a workout for runners. I think Running world recently had a strength workout for runners. I see these on my Facebook feed.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I wouldn't get too hung up on certification.

I've had dealings with two certified trainers over the last couple of weeks, and had serious issues with both. That said, having seen their exams I could pass them now, with no preparation.

Anyway, in terms of cross training, and as a marathon and Ultra runner, cycling and swimming are both very good at balancing the stress of running. I also do predominantly plyometric work in the gym; box jumps etc
  • Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    Sorry MeanderingMammal, but I'm not bending on trainer certifications. In my book they matter, and if I can't crosscheck you I will presume you aren't certified and that will be the name of that tune. You can see why I had to give up running last year.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Sorry MeanderingMammal, but I'm not bending on trainer certifications. In my book they matter, and if I can't crosscheck you I will presume you aren't certified and that will be the name of that tune. You can see why I had to give up running last year.

But you came here for advice? Also, if you and the trainer aren't on the same page, you should find someone who is.

"cardio only" programs can work. Sure, you may need a day or two per week for some core work, but I do 95% cardio only. The trick is building a solid aerobic base (that means VERY slow running or even walking) in a gradual manner. My opinion on cross training is this, I can't afford the time to not be running (I actually do more stairs now than I run) AND still meet my goals. Others have different goals, "cross training" works for them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

But you came here for advice? Also, if you and the trainer aren't on the same page, you should find someone who is.

"cardio only" programs can work. Sure, you may need a day or two per week for some core work, but I do 95% cardio only. The trick is building a solid aerobic base (that means VERY slow running or even walking) in a gradual manner. My opinion on cross training is this, I can't afford the time to not be running (I actually do more stairs now than I run) AND still meet my goals. Others have different goals, "cross training" works for them.

Cross training is pretty important from a fitness and performance standpoint...it reduces the risk of overuse injury and muscular imbalances and can also help you break through performance plateaus.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    As a runner, I was very surprised by how much my deadlift and squat work has helped my running as a result of firing my glutes more effectively. That spreads the workload in my running, which means I can go farther.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I've started taking a weekly crossfit class, it's a beginner class and I think it's great cross-training. I still run 5-6 times a week, about 3.5-5 miles each time.

I've been thinking about adding in swimming, but it feels like it would be more time consuming than going out for a 30 minute run and I can be awfully lazy sometimes :)