High fats low carb - not losing weight

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open up your diary - people here are willing to help you out and getting a new set of eyes on your entries may help you find some areas that need tweaking
  • jajohnso77
    jajohnso77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jajohnso77 wrote: »
    *Not trying to hijack, just answering a question*
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How about would you store net fat -- put on fat beyond what you currently have?

Yes. I believe that if I were to change my macro split to a LFHC (200-300g carbs per day) type ratio and not change anything else I'm doing, my weight loss would effectively stop and I would, at a minimum, stay where I am if not gain weight. I could be eating extremely healthy and yet slowly, over time still getting fat and getting very frustrated. I'm not talking about changing exercise routines or anything else - just by simply changing that macro split that's what would happen to me. But hey, that's just me and how I process different types of foods. And I'm not saying that calorie deficits aren't helpful in LCHF diets, I'm just saying that they aren't required to lose weight. There's more than one way to activate the body to burn its stored fat and depending on the person, deficits aren't always required to do that.

Just curious, is there general agreement that the bio-chemical effects of ingested carbs is the primary reason and cause of the creation of excess accumulation of fat (formation of triglycerides, etc) in fat cells?

run an experiment on yourself...eat 4000 calories a date low carb high fat for three months and report back with the results..

I guarantee you will gain weight.

then eat 1200 calories a day high carb/low fat for three months..

I guarantee you will lose weight

I don't have to - someone else already did.
  • sam_ibrahim13
    sam_ibrahim13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't responded to your questions I'm finding it hard to read through the thread with all the information regarding macros. I've been on MFP for years and logged on and off for a long time. Only been logging for a month properly now, I'm off to see how to open/share my diary

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't responded to your questions I'm finding it hard to read through the thread with all the information regarding macros. I've been on MFP for years and logged on and off for a long time. Only been logging for a month properly now, I'm off to see how to open/share my diary

Sorry OP, your thread did get a bit off track with the discussion.
    If you go to Settings>Diary Settings>Diary Sharing>Public that should do the trick.

I think if you enjoy eating Low Carb, and track your calories accurately to stay within an appropriate deficit (with less than 20 lbs to lose that would be 0.5 lb/week) then you should start losing again very soon. It's likely that some extra exercise or where you are in your monthly cycle is masking any of your initial efforts.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So I'm a lb shy of being a healthy weight in terms of BMI. I want to lose another 14lb. I haven't lost in two weeks, as per title I'm following a high fat low carb diet recently. I've not lost a lb, I've started exercising (once a week at body combat) I'm fairly active in the day as I'm a mum to two little people! Not sure where I'm going wrong, do I need to exercise more? I went for the high fat low carb route as lots of the food I already eat so it just logging it all, eating I'd say 1500 cal a day

1st bold maybe has you retaining water since it's new exercise, if not the case bold number 2 would be the reason you aren't losing. If you aren't logging accurately then you really don't know how much you are eating.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jajohnso77 wrote: »
    *Not trying to hijack, just answering a question*
    How about would you store net fat -- put on fat beyond what you currently have?

Yes. I believe that if I were to change my macro split to a LFHC (200-300g carbs per day) type ratio and not change anything else I'm doing, my weight loss would effectively stop and I would, at a minimum, stay where I am if not gain weight. I could be eating extremely healthy and yet slowly, over time still getting fat and getting very frustrated. I'm not talking about changing exercise routines or anything else - just by simply changing that macro split that's what would happen to me. But hey, that's just me and how I process different types of foods. And I'm not saying that calorie deficits aren't helpful in LCHF diets, I'm just saying that they aren't required to lose weight. There's more than one way to activate the body to burn its stored fat and depending on the person, deficits aren't always required to do that.

Just curious, is there general agreement that the bio-chemical effects of ingested carbs is the primary reason and cause of the creation of excess accumulation of fat (formation of triglycerides, etc) in fat cells?

No, there's absolutely not general agreement on that, I think it's wrong. And I think the idea that you'd lose weight without a deficit on low carb is wrong too.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, so I will just quote this post.

A calorie deficit is required to lose weight IN ALL DIETS. That is why so many people are able to be successful eating in ways that work for them, because they all have one thing in common - they create a sustained calorie deficit over time.

This.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My point is, that it has become frustrating, erudite or ignorant. Reading all of this is 2 pages of frustrating.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    My point is, that it has become frustrating, erudite or ignorant. Reading all of this is 2 pages of frustrating.

Then perhaps the forums just aren't for you. :)

Perhaps...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

there is your answer, it has only been a month.

if you do not have a food scale, I would suggest getting one.