Did you know you are one of only 3%?

Options
If you are an American, statistically about 97.3% people in our country are living an unhealthy lifestyle, while the remaining 2.7% are maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Don't fall in line like everyone else. Be a leader and a role model to people who want to get healthy. Don't give into peer pressure and be strong. It all pays off in the end. You could be one of the reasons that America finally changes.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Where did you read this? This sounds unlikely.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    IDK...I'd say the majority of Americans aren't living a very healthy lifestyle...but I think more than 3% are.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Another reason I'm glad I moved to Canada.

What's the definition of "healthy lifestyle"?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I feel like I'm remembering reading this once and if I recall, the parameters were extremely stringent and if you missed on one of them you were not living a healthy lifestyle despite the fact that it was only one of several parameters. I recall thinking it was stupid.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is no singular healthy lifestyle. There are many large and small choices that individual people make for and about their own bodies. We all make these choices every day. Sometimes we are happy with the choices we've made and sometimes not. Whether or not those choices are "healthy" depends on the individual and their goals for their own bodies.

We can talk about what proportion of people get a certain amount of cardio or strength training. We can talk about how many people eat their recommended servings of fruits and veggies, or how many people usually choose whole grain foods over processed carbs. We can discuss how many people get enough sleep on a regular basis. We can think about how many people have good mental health and self-care practices. But to lump an unknown set of things into a "healthy lifestyle" and use that to make some people feel superior to others is not helpful.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This concept was debated here. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10357934/less-than-3-percent-of-americans-live-a-healthy-lifestyle#latest

Looks like there was some squirrelliness in the parameters, especially with food.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I feel like I'm remembering reading this once and if I recall, the parameters were extremely stringent and if you missed on one of them you were not living a healthy lifestyle despite the fact that it was only one of several parameters. I recall thinking it was stupid.

Which leads me to believe that there are very few people on MFP that will fit into that lifestyle, for one reason or another.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am a writer and checked up on this stat because I was curious about the research. According to a study done by the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, less than 3% of Americans meet the basic qualifications for leading a "healthy lifestyle." However, the data is a bit outdated. They sent a representative survey to 4,745 people and surveyed them between 2003-06. I think that's a fairly small sample and not indicative of all Americans. I think it also depends on where you live. We tend to be more health-conscious and active in California and on the West Coast. I am curious about regional and global stats for comparison.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2016-03-22/less-than-3-percent-of-americans-live-a-healthy-lifestyle
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would agree that the MAJORITY of Americans live a VERY unhealthy lifestyle...I'm not sure about three percent, though...(that have got it "right") I agree, any changes you can make for the better are helpful...I am trying to eat HALF of what I used to be able to eat, and it seems the weight is coming off again...Any way you slice it, it is hard to change a lifetime of bad habits(I am almost sixty)...Still, it's not impossible, and that's why I'm here...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You were part of the debate I posted. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    This concept was debated here. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10357934/less-than-3-percent-of-americans-live-a-healthy-lifestyle#latest

Looks like there was some squirrelliness in the parameters, especially with food.

Guess I'm a failure since I'm not "American" any longer. Oh well, I'll go on to be an awesome "Canadian".
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You were part of the debate I posted. :)

I just saw that...
    TR0berts wrote: »

Which leads me to believe that there are very few people on MFP that will fit into that lifestyle, for one reason or another.

Yeah...and frankly, most of my real world friends are pretty much health and fitness buffs...but pretty much all of them have a vice or two that isn't exactly "healthy"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Guess I'm a failure since I'm not "American" any longer. Oh well, I'll go on to be an awesome "Canadian".

Pfft, the only awesome Canadians are Bret Hart and the members of Protest the Hero and Beyond Creation.

Everyone else is either French or dripping with apologies.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I've maintained a healthy weight and have been active most of my life ... I probably don't qualify as healthy.

(Nor am I American. :grin: )

But I'd be interested in seeing what supposedly qualifies a person as healthy.

I know that my previous workplace here in Australia had us all fill out this fairly lengthy quiz on what we ate and did, and I did well on most of the items but because of the way a few of the questions were worded, I failed miserably on them so they suggested I (and others who had failed portions of the test) have an interview with a nutritionist or someone who spent all of about 5 minutes with me and sent me on my way telling me that I didn't really need to talk to her, I was a healthy weight and appeared to know what I was doing.
  • sahux1
    sahux1 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    From the link above

From Unfortunately, less than 3 percent of the adults in the study achieved all four of the healthy living measures, the researchers found.

Overall, 71 percent of the adults surveyed did not smoke, 38 percent ate a healthy diet, 10 percent had a normal body fat percentage and 46 percent got sufficient amounts of physical activity.

Sixteen percent had three of the healthy lifestyle behaviors, 37 percent had two, 34 percent had one and 11 percent had none.

Right now, I had 2 healthy behaviours (three if they'd included alcohol intake) so I'm with the 37 percent group. At goal weight I'll have three (I hate exercise and while it may increase life expectancy it will reduce quality of life) so I'll be with the 16% group.

That 10% body fat number seems rather low.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I lifted for more than three decades for me, not to be a role model or try to change anybody.

The only true change has to be wanted from within oneself.

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Pfft, the only awesome Canadians are Bret Hart and the members of Protest the Hero and Beyond Creation.

Everyone else is either French or dripping with apologies.

You forgot about Devin Townsend. And Voi Vod proved you could be French and awesome.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I won't nicpic (sp) the stat... but brother it's kinda cool and reassuring that I'm in that small sliver of persons that strive for optimal health. Be a better you! Strive and thrive!