Jillian Michaels DVD's and pregnancy

Options
Hi everyone

I have just found out I am pregant but wish to cotninue with some form of exercise regime. I had a miscarriage in March so obviously dont want to do any exercise that may risk this pregnancy. I had just completed the 30DS prior to finding out I was pregnant but had made up a regime alternating JM's other DVD's including 6 week 6 pack!!

These DVD's are obviously quite tough routines and I just wondered if anyone knew if it was safe to continue with them? I also go to a boxercise and aerobics class and the instructors have advised me it is safe to continue with these providing I dont exert myself and go at my own pace.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• LouD76
    LouD76 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My sister in law continued with her step classes all through her pregnancy, in fact her last class was the day before her baby was born. I'm no expert, but I'm sure if you continue and take it easy you should be fine. Best would probably be to ask your doctor just to make sure. If those kind of exercise is not allowed, just go for long walks.. Good luck and congrats ..
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels dvd's wouldn't be suitable for use in pregnancy. Maybe you could find a dvd designed for exercise for pregnancy?
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you should consult your DOCTOR
    i am a fitness professional but if any of my students come and say they are preganant i refer them their doctor as they know best
    saying that lots of ab work will not be good while pregant, and jillan does do a fare amount in her dvds. if you are used to exercise before becoming pregnant you can continue, but you may have to alter certain moves
    please speak to your GP - lower impact exercise will be better such as swimming. when pregnant your joints become looser due to hormones so you are more prone to strains and spains
    hope this helps
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Always consult your doctor, esp. since he/she would know your medical history!!!! That being said, I am guessing that, while aerobic exercise might be fine if you pace yourself and modify as needed, Jillian is going to be out....doing any kind of exercise where you lie on the floor can be dangerous for the baby past 12 weeks (cuts off oxygen), and an ab workout is probbaly not going to fly during a pregnancy. But, again, ASK YOUR DOCTOR.....no one on here can give you the guidance a trained professional with your health history can. Good luck!! There are always safe exercises you can do during pregnancy!!
  • EvaBondarMauiPilates
    Options
    Aloha momma!

I wanted to recommend my new pregnancy dvd to you because it is quite mellow and filmed beautifully on the beach in Hawaii.
    It is based on pilates principles but includes upper body, lower body, back, and most importantly kegel section.... I developed it with two obgyn's and wanted it to be "good" for all trimesters so there isn't anything laying on your back (you shouldn't assume this position after the bump appears to be safe for baby). You can get it on amazon for about $10-$12 bucks and see the other reviews on it as well.... Let me know if you have any further questions...aloha, Eva Title: Eva Bondar's Pregnancy Workouts
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com has many pregnancy & prenatal exercise videos. They have video clips & reviews ..... maybe you could get some ideas there.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/pregnancy-exercise-videos-41
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    join pregnancy yoga classes not referring dvds coz there ull have the instructor but consult dr first coz ppl with such history may be asked for rest