Quick breakfast ideas not laden with sugar?

Options
Hi all. Just wondered if anyone has any breakfast ideas which are quick and easy and under 200 cals? For months I have been having a Nutrigrain breakfast bar but this just gives me a sugar high and doesn't keep me going. I only eat 200 cals at breakfast as I have found even when I have a calorific, full-of-protein cooked breakfast, I am always hungry at meal
times...so the big breakfast doesn't work for me.
I'm in a hurry in the mornings so no time to cook. Any ideas of healthy bars, cereals etc? (I'm in the UK too if that's any use!)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Oats. Fruit. Toast. Crumpets. Protein shake. Pre cooked meats. Eggs. Leftovers. Cheese. Nothing. Anything.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I find that 50-ish grams of bite-sized shredded wheat with at least 1/2 cup milk works okay. No added sugar, you get some protein from the milk, you get decent fiber. It's like eating cardboard but I look at my breakfast meal as totally functional and expect no enjoyment from it. On the weekends I do scrambled eggs. But each of these breakfast hit more around the 230 calorie mark.
  • pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have Qi'a oatmeal with two tbsp of PB2 peanut butter powder weekday mornings. 200 calories, 11g protein and 2g sugar.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    PB or a slice of cheese on a mini bagel or half of a bagel. Hard boiled eggs (boil in advance--they'll keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator). Oatmeal. String cheese. Yogurt.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. But why does it have to be under 200 calories? Sees like an arbitrary number.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do a thick smoothie (140 g frozen strawberries. 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk. 35 g whey protein. 125-140 g banana.). Comes in a tad over 300 calories and keeps me full, plus tastes like dessert. If I'm in a rush, a clif bar (240 calories) keeps me pretty full.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cottage cheese with hot sauce. Throw in some vegetables if you have some time. I eat this almost every day and never get tired of it because I vary the vegetables. Sometimes they're hot, sometimes they're cold.
  • HelensBeads
    HelensBeads Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Marmite on 2 toasts. Bread is roughly 100 cals per slice, less if you get the 400g loaves, so long as you go for the medium sliced. Marmite comes out around 20 cals. High salt, but I don't salt much food.

Or have 1 toast with mashed avocado.

25g oats, zapped into porridge with water, roughly 100 cals, add a scoop of whey powder of your choice for creamyness/flavour/protein.

Weekend if you have more time, scrambled eggs, spinach, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oats with protein powder or just with fruit or peanutbutter.
  • rheadarky
    rheadarky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oats with lowfat milk and half of a banana,herb tea with 1tsp of sugar and a bolied egg .
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I do oatmeal with a tsp of brown sugar plus some fruit added in: blueberries, strawberries or peach are my favorites. Yes, it has sugar but keeps me full.

Or an english muffin with one egg, a slice of ham, and a 1/3 slice of cheese.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    piece of toast. poached egg. Takes the amount of time as it takes to make toast if you do it right!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Eggs. Hashbrowns. Pancakes. French Toast.

Seriously, there's so many options.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I can understand not eating a big breakfast because you don't have much of an appetite in the mornings, but I don't understand not eating a "calorific, high protein" breakfast because you are hungry at later meal times. I'm not tracking. Aren't you suppose to be hungry at later meal times?

Anyways, since you don't want protein or sugary carbs at breakfast, I suggest a serving of peanut butter or maybe a tablespoon of olive oil. Advocado is high in healthy fats and can be pretty satiating.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. I have trouble getting under 200 calories for breakfast. A large egg is 70 calories. Maybe 2 eggs and 2 slices of Oscar Meyer microwave bacon? Not a lot of sugar and that would be right at 200 calories for breakfast.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a bunch of sugar, oatmeal can actually be served as a savory dish, too. I've had it with sweet peas and parmesan cheese, for instance, and it's wonderful that way. A breakfast under 200 seems pretty limiting, though. Like the others, I am also confused why being hungry at mealtimes is a bad thing. Breakfast doesn't usually keep most people full the entire day, even if you eat a big one.
    Other ideas:
    Polenta with cheese or fruit
    Toast with an egg or cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt