I gained a pound since yesterday, and I think this is why.

Options
fiberopticjellyfishmfp
fiberopticjellyfishmfp Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
dvbjwpv4hbgo.png

We went out to eat last night and I had a lot more sodium than usual. I'm finally learning that weight fluctuations happen and it's not necessarily related to over eating

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my weight fluctuates 5lbs in a day
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As others have said..a person's weight can fluctuate greatly from day to day. It's natural. Sometimes it is sodium..sometimes it isn't.. I have noticed up to a 4 pound gain on some days..and as much as a 2 pound loss on some days..

I weigh daily..it's good information to understand your body and how it reacts to your diet and exercise..
  • fiberopticjellyfishmfp
    Options
    I always weigh daily and have since I was 12. It's taken me ten years to realize that daily number isn't everything and I have to look at the overall trend. Before coming here, I would always starve myself and only eat 800 calories a day and then binge and give up! But now I eat 1400 calories a day and I'm still losing weight!! Imagine that. Oh my stats are female, 22, 5'2, 160, and according to my Fitbit my TDEE is anywhere between 1800-2300 depending on how active I am. So I can cry easily eat 1400 and lose I just didn't realize it (:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I can 'gain' several pounds on any given day and it has nothing to do with actual fat gains :) A higher sodium day can definitely cause some water retention!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I gain and lose 5 pounds every 24 hours.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think you guys are missing the point of the OP. She is saying she used to stress about these sorts of fluctuations but now understands they can be caused by all sorts of things and one of the biggest culprits, sodium, is likely the case this time.

Good job OP! Gaining that perspective and learning to roll with those fluctuations is a big part of staying on track for the long haul!

Exactly. Great thread OP!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good insight!

I knew this, but it was thrown into sharp focus last night. I had pizza for dinner last night. Usually, that means I'll be a pound or two up in the morning, even if I was within my calorie allowance. But I chose veggie pizza instead of the meatlovers. Much less salty, and my weight was down this morning, to a new low, in fact. :)
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think you guys are missing the point of the OP. She is saying she used to stress about these sorts of fluctuations but now understands they can be caused by all sorts of things and one of the biggest culprits, sodium, is likely the case this time.

Good job OP! Gaining that perspective and learning to roll with those fluctuations is a big part of staying on track for the long haul!

I was going to say the same thing! Great going OP! :smile:
  • fiberopticjellyfishmfp
    Options
    Thanks guys! I wanted to share my experience because it's so important to realize the scale should be used as a tool with other tools to determine success.
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @fiberopticjellyfishmfp Exactly! I'm someone who weighs themself every day but I'm okay with that because I know my natural fluctuations but I completely understand how easy it is to get caught up with the number on the scale (I used to have a very unhealthy relationship with my scale). I think I had a moment like you where I realised that it's okay when it goes up (as long as the trend goes down overall)! :smile: