Beer or Vodka?

Options

Replies

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think my point got missed between the back and forth. I'm not saying that calories don't matter, they're the biggest part of weight loss. My original point was that they're not the only part of weight loss, and the calories from alcohol can definitely effect you differently than other calories such as protein.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    I found an article published by the department of biochemistry in New York State if you're interested in checking it out. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/#!po=31.2500
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I found an article published by the department of biochemistry in New York State if you're interested in checking it out. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/#!po=31.2500

And there are studies that show that in the long run there really is no discernible difference...

https://www.bemorenutrition.com/2017/01/20/low-fat-vs-low-carb-which-is-better-for-fat-loss-research-review/
  • patslitzker
    Options
    I just linked a very credible source, you could do the same and not the first thing that turns up on Google.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My problem is usually never the drink of choice, it's craving salty junk food the next day. I always include drinks in my calories if and when I ever have them, and have definitely switched to light beers (Coors Light or Mich Ultra) if I really want beer. Otherwise I do vodka/tequila sodas with a twist. I'm willing to make the sacrifice for lower calories. It's knowing that drinks cause cravings the next day, so I really limit my drinking.

My theory is don't give up anything you wouldn't give up forever, because it's about retraining your habits to help yourself long-term. Just lessen it, or figure out what works best for you. I like to consider alcohol in the category of once-in-a-special-while foods like pizza. (Not saying alcohol and pizza are the same! You get it, I hope!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ooooo - "is a calorie a calorie!" "TEF" - what a good topic for the debate forum . . . but not on a thread where it's a hijack.

And just to keep this post on topic:

If you like wine, a 6oz pour of a white at 11% would come in at maybe 120 calories (less/more depending mostly on dryness/sweetness) and 0.66 oz of alcohol. More calories and alcohol yet - but still not very many/much of either.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

Vodka is no worse for your liver than beer, assuming your alcohol intake is similar.

Personally, I drink bourbon and beer, and eat pizza and whatever else I want. I just do it in moderation. I also eat very low cal during the week so that I can do whatever I want on the weekends.

Nobody HAS to give up anything they really like in order to lose weight or to get fit. Just do the work and eat sensibly.
  • cwolfman13
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Aileenj77 wrote: »
    I heard if u drink alcohol...u stop your body from burning FAT...so if you're trying to lose weight beware.... I wish this was not true.

While alcohol is in your system you won't metabolize anything except for the alcohol...so from that standpoint, you are correct...however, it's irrelevant if you are in a net deficit position. If you are in a deficiency of energy, you're going to burn fat.

Or, according to @patslitzker I and many others who have been here and had a lot of success are just special snowflakes and have done the impossible...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I just linked a very credible source, you could do the same and not the first thing that turns up on Google.

It's credible and there are many like it...actually, quite a lengthy discussion on that link over the last couple of days...there are actually people here who are quite knowledgeable and have had quite a bit of success with things...maybe lurk a bit rather than blasting people who've been there and done that and have the t-shirt and have been quite successful here.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    Not necessarily, you can be in a deficit and lose more muscle than fat or even lose muscle and gain fat while "losing weight". I'm sure most of the people on here who have had success are generally healthy as well and didn't fill their caloric goals with wine and cheetos.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i personally don't drink but once or twice a year, say on my birthday or christmas. It's for many reasons, but the calories is definitely one of them.

IMO - it simply isn't worth it.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    No that is not credible, that is just some random website with god knows who making claims with no actual research to show.
  • patslitzker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Another thing, you people have a habit of putting words in mouths. I never said it was impossible to lose weight while eating in a caloric deficit made of bad calories. I originally stated that better results would be had by consuming better calories. And I also said that losing weight isn't as simple as consuming x amount of calories.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    Well if "calories are calories" why would it matter if it was in moderation or not. Now you're contradicting yourself.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Beer AND vodka are actually my drinks of choice. I haven't given up drinking, but I only drink 1-2 days/week. It's definitely possible to keep it in your lifestyle and maintain health/weight loss, you just have to find balance. That can be trickier for some than others though.
  • patslitzker
    Options
    Yes but the point they were trying to make is that calories are calories, and it doesn't matter where they come from. If that were the case then a balanced diet would not make a difference.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

With that strategy I ended up drinking twice as much (both because it's lighter and easier to drink and because you start making poor decisions quicker) so it didn't work for me. Personally I'd stick with the beer.