Metabolic Effect

Options
Has anyone heard of Dr. Jade Teta? He wrote the book with his brother, Keoni Teta, "Lose Weight Here". Jade also has a blog online. The theory and science sound good. I know lost weight the first 6 weeks of 1200-1500 calories with exercise but then next 8 weeks I am up and down. I have been dieting off and on for 40 years. It is frustrating and difficult.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds like really really bad science to me. (Amazon page for book.)
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi - I actually bought the book and...it worked, but that's ONLY because they had me drop down to 1000 calories for two weeks while only walking (eat less exercise less) and then bump up to around 1700 for two weeks while doing my normal workout (eat more exercise more), which kept me in a deficit as well. It's CICO, simple. Although I got my last stubborn 5 lbs off very quickly when doing the eat less exercise less phase I was completely miserable due to hunger and not being able to lift.

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sorry for the double entry, obviously I'm an idiot on many levels and can't figure out how to delete a post completely.
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Hi - I actually bought the book and...it worked, but that's ONLY because they had me drop down to 1000 calories for two weeks while only walking (eat less exercise less) and then bump up to around 1700 for two weeks while doing my normal workout (eat more exercise more), which kept me in a deficit as well. It's CICO, simple. Although I got my last stubborn 5 lbs off very quickly when doing the eat less exercise less phase I was completely miserable from hunger and from not being able to lift.

• audra54321
    audra54321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you believe that the program helped you gain more muscle? I don't think you had a lot of weight to lose. I have about 80 pounds to lose.
  • jlt1267
    jlt1267 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kommodeveran...If you're going to claim something is bad science, especially the work of a doctor who studies and devotes his life to understanding how hormones and exercise interact with each other, you should back it up with some substance and evidence.

--
    My wife has been doing ME for almost 2 years (I've recently started it), and has put on quite a bit of muscle, and it has helped her shed some of the remaining weight she has struggled to lose. ME workouts are a form of rest-based Tabata, the primary difference is the intervals aren't strictly prescribed. You rest when you need to and go when you can, and you adjust the difficulty by adding bands, weights or just use body weight. The workouts sound much easier than they really are.

According to Dr Teta, nutritional needs are not cut and dry. Like his workout, the point is to adjust according to what your body tells you. He calls it SHMEC; sleep, hunger, mood, energy, cravings. When one of these clues gets out of whack, you have to make adjustments. The science is strong that your metabolism will compensate, so sticking to the same thing often leads to set backs. Eating less and exercising more works for some people but isn't sustainable for most. So, based on your lifestyle, SHMEC and schedule, sometimes you'll exercise more and eat more, exercise less/eat less, exercise more/eat less, eat more/exercise less (cheat days). It is basically metabolic conditioning, so it's on it's toes and has to adjust and compensate.

This is the distilled down explanation, and again, I'm just starting, but I've seen it work and it's been going on in my house for a while so I have a pretty good understanding of the foundation of the program. I've been more or less on the nutritional part since my wife started it. :). Again, it really is about being in tune with YOUR body, and not a cookie cutter system. To say it's CICO is a little to simplified because calories are not all equal, and Dr Teta does cover nutrition, how micro and macro nutrients help with your goals, but leaves it to you to find what works for you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jlt1267 wrote: »
    Kommodeveran...If you're going to claim something is bad science, especially the work of a doctor who studies and devotes his life to understanding how hormones and exercise interact with each other, you should back it up with some substance and evidence.

--
    My wife has been doing ME for almost 2 years (I've recently started it), and has put on quite a bit of muscle, and it has helped her shed some of the remaining weight she has struggled to lose. ME workouts are a form of rest-based Tabata, the primary difference is the intervals aren't strictly prescribed. You rest when you need to and go when you can, and you adjust the difficulty by adding bands, weights or just use body weight. The workouts sound much easier than they really are.

According to Dr Teta, nutritional needs are not cut and dry. Like his workout, the point is to adjust according to what your body tells you. He calls it SHMEC; sleep, hunger, mood, energy, cravings. When one of these clues gets out of whack, you have to make adjustments. The science is strong that your metabolism will compensate, so sticking to the same thing often leads to set backs. Eating less and exercising more works for some people but isn't sustainable for most. So, based on your lifestyle, SHMEC and schedule, sometimes you'll exercise more and eat more, exercise less/eat less, exercise more/eat less, eat more/exercise less (cheat days). It is basically metabolic conditioning, so it's on it's toes and has to adjust and compensate.

This is the distilled down explanation, and again, I'm just starting, but I've seen it work and it's been going on in my house for a while so I have a pretty good understanding of the foundation of the program. I've been more or less on the nutritional part since my wife started it. :). Again, it really is about being in tune with YOUR body, and not a cookie cutter system. To say it's CICO is a little to simplified because calories are not all equal, and Dr Teta does cover nutrition, how micro and macro nutrients help with your goals, but leaves it to you to find what works for you.

jlt1267, before being too hard on the previous commenter you might want to consider the fact that while the Tetas have doctorates, they are not Medical Doctors. They aren't even nutritionists. Their doctorates are in Naturopathy.
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I bought the book: fitness femminile how to train scientifically IVAN Orizio & Max Arrighetti <3 ( but it's in italian) included in the price video portals in private area, customized recipes from their chef Cook, specifyind the calories for each recipe :) very present on his page
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did not understand the theory about the metabolism of dr Teta
  • jlt1267
    Options
    Assume what you want. I'm in no way affiliated with Dr Teta or ME. I don't even work in fitness, nutrition, marketing, or sales. I build software for a Fortune 500 company. I'm just a recovering fat guy sharing what I've seen happen in my house with my own eyes, and as I said I just started on the program as a new step in my own journey to being healthy again. I was as skeptical as others in this thread when my wife started it. Also I'm well aware of what his doctorate is in.

I replied to this thread because it was the first to come up in a search on the program because I am trying to learn more for myself. And as it's the first result I think its only fair to provide a balanced perspective to the assertion that ME is some snake oil scheme. If I was replying to every thread about Metabolic Effect, I could understand the reaction that I'm trying to promote or defend some money making scam.

ME actually gives away much of what is in his program for free through podcasts, youtube video, his website and more. Not once in my original post did I plug or suggest you buy anything.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jlt1267 wrote: »
    Assume what you want. I'm in no way affiliated with Dr Teta or ME. I don't even work in fitness, nutrition, marketing, or sales. I build software for a Fortune 500 company. I'm just a recovering fat guy sharing what I've seen happen in my house with my own eyes, and as I said I just started on the program as a new step in my own journey to being healthy again. I was as skeptical as others in this thread when my wife started it. Also I'm well aware of what his doctorate is in.

I replied to this thread because it was the first to come up in a search on the program because I am trying to learn more for myself. And as it's the first result I think its only fair to provide a balanced perspective to the assertion that ME is some snake oil scheme. If I was replying to every thread about Metabolic Effect, I could understand the reaction that I'm trying to promote or defend some money making scam.

ME actually gives away much of what is in his program for free through podcasts, youtube video, his website and more. Not once in my original post did I plug or suggest you buy anything.

The book has people eating at a calorie deficit, so they're going to lose weight, regardless of the other stuff the book says. As for being able to spot reduce, that seems to go against the scientific research, and no amount of eating organic foods is going to change that.
  • jlt1267
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The book has people eating at a calorie deficit, so they're going to lose weight, regardless of the other stuff the book says. As for being able to spot reduce, that seems to go against the scientific research, and no amount of eating organic foods is going to change that.

I can't argue for or against spot reduction. Its not what I'm interested in and haven't done my own research. I will say, though, that its folly to treat science as dial tone, it's ever changing. Jade does provide many references to research backing his claims, and points out clearly when the studies are new or incomplete. Its not just made up out of thin air. Whether the science is true, or complete is for the reader to decide I guess. I personally don't take anything at face value and do my own research and verification. That actually how I found this thread in the first place. Spot reduction, in my assumption, is more for those who are trying to change their body for vanity reasons.

Calorie deficit is going to result in weight loss. I don't know of ME suggesting anywhere that you can be in a surplus and lose weight. All programs are geared toward caloric deficit. The problem is, your hormonal system is not static. Nor is your metabolism. And it's not the same for every person. They change for any number of factor, so your calorie in calorie out is likewise not static. Your BMR changes with things like age or stress. Your workout intensity, body composition, and hormonal system is different than the next person. The program is about more than just CICO, as I stated earlier. There is just more to it than that, and why people hit frustrating plateaus or struggle losing the last 10 pounds. I think this is what ME tries to help people with, and its for the reader to figure out what fits them.