Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why was Nesta Carter stripped of his medal?

Options
Tallawah_
Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
edited January 2017 in Debate Club
Would someone be able to explain to me why Nesta Carter has been stripped of his Beijing 2008 medal given the substance he was tested positive for (methylhexanamine) is known to crop up inadvertantly in supplements, is also known to be at best a little stronger than a cup of coffee and was only added to the banned list in 2009? I understand retrospective testing of banned drugs that were known to be banned at the time but at the time he ran his race methylhexanamine wasn't banned???

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    There's really no debate here. The WADA rules from 2008 says: "All stimulants (including both their (D- & L-) optical isomers where relevant) are prohibited [ ... including ...] tuaminoheptane and other substances with a similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s)."

Methylhexanamine is nearly identical in structure to tuaminoheptane, and has identical effects.

Source: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/WADA_Prohibited_List_2008_EN.pdf (page 8)
  • Tallawah_
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    There's really no debate here. The WADA rules from 2008 says: "All stimulants (including both their (D- & L-) optical isomers where relevant) are prohibited [ ... including ...] tuaminoheptane and other substances with a similar chemical structure or similar biological effect(s)."

Methylhexanamine is nearly identical in structure to tuaminoheptane, and has identical effects.

Source: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/WADA_Prohibited_List_2008_EN.pdf (page 8)

Wow! OK! Still seems kinda harsh. Methylhexanamine was known about at the time, why didn't they list it? I would've thought that 'similar chemical' phrase was intended to catch clever cheats who slightly change known compounds to something not yet known. I would've expected known compounds to be listed.

Does anyone really believe Carter knowingly took this to gain an unfair advantage?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Tallawah_ wrote: »

Does anyone really believe Carter knowingly took this to gain an unfair advantage?

If you don't think all professional athletes aren't on PEDs, I have some Tennessee oceanfront property you're gonna love.
  • Tallawah_
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Tallawah_ wrote: »

If you don't think all professional athletes aren't on PEDs, I have some Tennessee oceanfront property you're gonna love.

LOL!!! Well you're on pretty safe ground there!...there are plenty of them which are allowed!

The question was really about knowingly taking a banned drug...i.e cheating