Calorie Counting: Does it Work Long-Term?

Options
2»

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    thank you guys for all your input!
    By "normal" eating, I just meant that since counting calories, although it does work, I can't seem to maintain it for too long. An apple is no longer a source of nutrition for me, but 60 calories. If I go over my caloric limit, I end up sabotaging the rest of the day with a binge, that or I end up being heavily disappointed in myself which ends up ruining the rest of my day.

The thing was, I used to be pretty skinny and never really watched what I ate (BMI of 19-20) but I was also younger and a lot more active. When I gained a little weight I discovered calorie counting as a means to shed a few pounds. But after restricting my calories for a few months, I binged out of control and regained all the weight I lost. After a couple of years of counting and not counting I gained about 40 lbs. I know calorie counting works, but I don't know what my problem is and why I can't stick with it for more than 2 weeks at a time. I personally became obsessed with food and the numbers and if something didn't have a nutritional label on it it would freak me out.

For those of you who have lost the weight calorie counting and kept it off (first of all that's amazing, congratulations), how did you stick with it? Without becoming crazy (like me)?

Again thanks for all your honest input.

I keep things really simple. I know a lot of people love tracking here on MFP and also tracking/playing around with macro ratios but that just stresses me out. I literally have a piece of scrap paper (or sticky notes) that I keep on my counter and as I prepare food I jot down the calorie number and then keep a running tab. If we go out to eat (which we do several times a week) I spend 2 minutes going online to the restaurant's website and pre-pick my food choices that fits in with my calorie goals. I still use my food scale for things I know I'm not good with portion sizes-like oats, rice, nuts and dried fruit. And then I focus on weekly totals and tend to eat a little less during the week because I like having higher calorie weekends. This far into things I don't track at all on the weekends but I know come Friday night I've banked several hundred calories from the week to offset higher calorie meals/snacks/drinks. This allows me to enjoy myself without feeling guilt about what I'm eating or drinking.

And I weigh myself daily and I have a 5lb maintenance window. This catches any real gains that may be happening, and if I creep outside of that window and stay for a few days, then I know it's time to get more strict with things until I'm back in that 5lb range (I've only had to do this a handful of times over the past few years).

And then I think most importantly for me-I haven't cut out any foods that I enjoy eating, so my maintenance plan is a realistic, sustainable way of life for me, for the next 40+ years :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    By "normal" eating, I just meant that since counting calories, although it does work, I can't seem to maintain it for too long. An apple is no longer a source of nutrition for me, but 60 calories. If I go over my caloric limit, I end up sabotaging the rest of the day with a binge, that or I end up being heavily disappointed in myself which ends up ruining the rest of my day.

The thing was, I used to be pretty skinny and never really watched what I ate (BMI of 19-20) but I was also younger and a lot more active. When I gained a little weight I discovered calorie counting as a means to shed a few pounds. But after restricting my calories for a few months, I binged out of control and regained all the weight I lost. After a couple of years of counting and not counting I gained about 40 lbs. I know calorie counting works, but I don't know what my problem is and why I can't stick with it for more than 2 weeks at a time. I personally became obsessed with food and the numbers and if something didn't have a nutritional label on it it would freak me out.

For those of you who have lost the weight calorie counting and kept it off (first of all that's amazing, congratulations), how did you stick with it? Without becoming crazy (like me)?

Whether logging my calories or not logging my calories, the key for me is the weekly weigh-in. I have a number I don't want to see and I know each week that I am going to step on the scale. I often think about that when I am considering whether I am going to eat something or not.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research and I understand that different things work for different people, but has anyone lost a good amount of weight and kept it off by counting calories? And if you have, did counting calories make you obsessed with the numbers, and obsessed with food? Or were you able to transition into a "normal" eater?

Three and a half years ago I lost 30 lbs (15% of my starting body weight), which to me was "a good amount," and I've kept it off for three years.

Obsessed with the numbers? I don't think so. I'm aware of the numbers on foods I eat regularly, and have a better idea of what the numbers probably are on things I don't eat regularly. Most of the time, my decisions about what to eat aren't determined by the numbers, although sometimes toward the end of the day I'll make choices aimed at getting enough protein or fiber.

Obsessed with food? Certainly not anymore than I ever was. I always liked to cook, and eat at interesting restaurants, and just plain eat. I think now I'm somewhat more inclined, at least sometimes, to think of food in terms of fuel and nutrition rather than just what's going to taste good or meet some momentary urge.

Was I able to transition into a "normal" eater? Hmmm. You're going to have to define that one for me. I still log almost everything I eat, almost every day. It's not a big deal. With pre-logging, it also serves as a meal planning guide and a way to help me remember what's in the kitchen that needs to be eaten before it spoils, which I think is a good, "normal" practice whether or not you're concerned about calories and macros. I feel a lot more like a "normal" eater consuming amounts of food that allow me to maintain a weight at which my blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol are under control, rather than the weight I was before I started tracking my food intake.

If "normal" eater means I don't focus on "diet" foods, or even "healthy" foods any more than I ever did, or on eliminating whole food groups from my diet (diet = whatever you eat), then yes, I'm a normal eater. I always ate (mostly whole) grains and legumes and veggies and fruits and (usually low-fat) dairy and eggs and various kinds of animal protein, and occasionally nuts and nut butters and seeds. I probably eat higher-fat dairy and animal proteins and nut/nut butters/seeds now that I did before I started tracking my intake on MFP. I drink more alcohol (mostly wine, but also beer and spirits) than I did before tracking, but I was never a big drinker and still am not. On the other hand, I also eat a little more seafood now than I did before tracking my intake on MFP. I eat fewer candy bars and other snacks from the vending machine at work, but by no means have I cut them out entirely.

I see you came back later on the issue of normal eater, although it's a little vague -- more what you feel you do that's not normal, rather than an actual definition of normal.

Calories are part of the nutrition picture, but not the whole picture. An apple is not just 60 calories (well, I find my apples are at least 70 calories, and I tend to buy the smallest ones I can find); it's also 3 or grams of fiber, including soluble fiber, depending on size, and about 10% of my daily vitamin C.

The binging and being unable to stick with it -- I'm not sure that getting random opinions and anecdotes from people for whom calorie counting has worked long term without being "obsessed" or binging or quitting is necessarily going to help you, because, frankly, they may not be like you. You might need to talk to an accredited professional who specializes in eating disorders. It's also possible that you set your calorie goal too low, in an effort to lose the weight fast.

It does sound like you tend to make emotional investments in what you eat and sticking to a plan without deviation, and to judge yourself for any deviation. Calorie counting and weight loss are not indicators of your moral worth; certainly each individual decision you make about what to eat is not something that should make you "heavily disappointed in yourself" or ruin the rest of your day. Take note of decisions that keep you from meeting your goals, see if you can learn any lessons about your trigger foods or trigger occasions or being prepared for certain situations or what foods do and don't leave you satiated, and move on.

Honestly, I don't think it's the calorie counting that leads you to "becoming crazy." From what you say, it sounds as though you've internalized moral valuations about food that would affect any approach or practices you took with respect to eating.

If something doesn't have a nutritional label, find a similar food in the database or log your best estimate by deconstructing the food (hmm, seemed like about 6 oz. of flank steak, half cup of cooked beans, let's call it 50 g of onion and 50 g of bell pepper, maybe a couple of teaspoons of oil just to be safe, done). It's not something to freak out about.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are falling into a BIG deficit issue as a way to shed the extra pounds and just by its very nature MFP and apps. like it give you the 'value' of foods and a very clear way to ensure weightloss occurs...binges often happen as a result of extreme deficits and suffering through periods of misery and harsh self-denial.

It occurs to me that you may have unintentionally struck upon a way to express an all or nothing mentality. Ie: How low can I go? How fast can I lose this weight?

If I'm on the mark here I guess acknowledging this aspect of your personality is critical. You might find benefit in researching this issue, understanding it and stopping it being a problem, this may need counseling or outside help I don't know but you do.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Well, I've found that after doing the whole weighing/measuring thing for awhile that I'm pretty good at eyeballing portion sizes. Like you, I've gone through periods where I just get tired of calorie counting and "just want to eat like a normal person," meaning (to me) eat without weighing and logging, which is what I did successfully for many years. The key for me seems to be having an exercise schedule, and knowing what foods work for me, and what foods need to find their way out of my diet. I usually do pretty well if I stick to an eating plan. When I start to get complacent, that's when stupid food choices happen and the weight starts to pile back on.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I have a maintenance weight range. If my weight starts to creep towards the upper limit, I go back to weighing and logging. I've found that when this happens, it's because I've become a little too complacent, or that my 'eye' for portion sizes needs some re-tuning.

Or both. :)
  • mrcs_jolly
    mrcs_jolly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Simply put...you have to be conscious of what you put into your mouth...ALWAYS. If it is generally clean foods then there is no need to count...you know when you have gone overboard or overindulged, you just have to be honest with yourself.
  • Petrolhead75
    Petrolhead75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 109 1bs so far using this app over about a 2 year period, (slowly does it)...it has taught me about portion sizes, and my stomach has shrunk, which helps me keep in my daily allowance, im also a walking encyclopedia of calorie content in foods!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    mrcs_jolly wrote: »
    Simply put...you have to be conscious of what you put into your mouth...ALWAYS. If it is generally clean foods then there is no need to count...you know when you have gone overboard or overindulged, you just have to be honest with yourself.

Wrong. You can most certainly gain weight eating 'clean' (which is a totally subjective and arbitrary term), if you're eating over your maintenance calorie level.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Pssssssttt.... not to be obsessive, but most apples are closer to 90 cals! <3
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    mrcs_jolly wrote: »

Wrong. You can most certainly gain weight eating 'clean' (which is a totally subjective and arbitrary term), if you're eating over your maintenance calorie level.

For sure. Add one or two servings of those "healthy fats" to my food intake now and I'd be gaining weight no problem at all.