Losing 150+ pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• terrillscott
    terrillscott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Been lurking and I think I need to engage with like minded folks. Thanx for the open talk. My weight has creeping up and up and even recognizing I have lots to loose, like 100 lbs. is hard. But I do, so here I am and looking for a first goal ... again! I did fit pal a few years ago and it was helpful, so back I come. I will appreciate the accountability. If anyone would care to "friend" me that would be cool to.
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I need to lose more and have given myself small monthly goals. One baby step at a time. This month I surpassed my goal and I'm proud of myself but I also know not every month will be a win and I will stumble from time to time but I'm going to keep picking myself up and trying to reach the small goals and hope that they eventually add up to a large loss of weight.
  • success313
    success313 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    All these small goals will be reached because we have a great support system here on MFP and you can do it. I'm glad to hear that I am not alone on this journey!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    success313 wrote: »
    It's hard to look at the whole picture right now. I am trying to get back to a healthy weight and it's going to require more than 150 pounds (about half of my body weight). I've been reading all of the inspiring success stories and tips that you have provided.

My question is...

How do I keep focused on smaller goals without actually getting overwhelmed with how much I have to lose?

I'm in this for life.

Thoughts?

I lost 148 lbs. I liked to have multiple goals in many areas, scales, measurements, progess pics, new ingredients, new recipes, fitness goals, steps, etc. That way a few areas are always going well even if others are lagging. I kept a journal where I tracked everything, including my progress pics, favorite quotes, positive comments from others, etc. I still love to look back and see how far I've come and the fitness progress made. Some days it will feel overwhelming, so just remind yourself to focus on the small steps. That is the only way you get there, just like a Symphony is played one note at a time.
    One of my favorite quotes that kept me going:
    "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results." Robin Sharma.. This is TRUE and I'm living proof!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs, one pound at a time. My knee replacement doctor suggested I should lose 20 - something clicked with me and I found MFP, and accomplished the big loss. It really is being mindful of one day, one meal at a time. Recently I had my passport renewed, and compared the new one with the old one and a couple of other photo IDs I have - what a difference!! I really would not have noticed it, nor would my family, unless I held those two or three pics up to compare - I mean, they see the loss, but how dramatic it is is really evident in photos now.

So take photos as you reduce - you will marvel and laugh at them when you reach your goal!!
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    many people are right consistency but i cant seem to get there my self i obsess for a while and then get tired of measuring and calculating everything
  • success313
    Options
    No need to obsess. Just stay focused and come here and vent whenever you need to!
  • mrcs_jolly
    mrcs_jolly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have lost 130lbs...i'll tell you, it is one day, one rep at a time. If you are consistent and patient, it will come. You cannot quit and you have make it an important component of your life. You will def have crummy workouts on some days but you will have more good ones.
  • Currans26
    Currans26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, probably been asked before. I'm currently at 262 and have a long way to go but I'm quite worried about loose skin, any tips on how this can be reduced? Thanks in advance
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Currans26 wrote: »
    Hi, probably been asked before. I'm currently at 262 and have a long way to go but I'm quite worried about loose skin, any tips on how this can be reduced? Thanks in advance

There are plenty of posts about this. Some people get it badly, others less so. The overall consensus is folks are way happier being fit and healthy with some loose skin, than overweight and constantly in pain, out of breath, etc. from being extremely overweight.
  • success313
    Options
    mrcs_jolly wrote: »
    I have lost 130lbs...i'll tell you, it is one day, one rep at a time. If you are consistent and patient, it will come. You cannot quit and you have make it an important component of your life. You will def have crummy workouts on some days but you will have more good ones.

Way to go! Losing 130 is no easy task. You must be very proud. I love hearing weight loss stories like yours because I know that there are others that were in my shoes once and have made it to goal. In 2011, I reached my goal of 155 after losing 84 pounds with WW. I felt amazing!

However, I was not consistent during maintenance and I reverted to my old eating habits. Almost as if I felt that I was now "skinny" and could eat as I pleased. Hardest learning lesson ever, I tell ya. I am the statistic now. I regained all of that weight back plus more. However, I did it once and I truly believe I can do it again. Thanks for sharing your loss!
  • success313
    Options

[/quote]

I lost 148 lbs. I liked to have multiple goals in many areas, scales, measurements, progess pics, new ingredients, new recipes, fitness goals, steps, etc. That way a few areas are always going well even if others are lagging. I kept a journal where I tracked everything, including my progress pics, favorite quotes, positive comments from others, etc. I still love to look back and see how far I've come and the fitness progress made. Some days it will feel overwhelming, so just remind yourself to focus on the small steps. That is the only way you get there, just like a Symphony is played one note at a time.
    One of my favorite quotes that kept me going:
    "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results." Robin Sharma.. This is TRUE and I'm living proof! [/quote]

Motivation is the key! I have taken so few pictures over these last few years because I am ashamed of how I look. But I did manage to get some before pictures right before I logged into MFP for the first time because I will want to see the progress I have made. I like your journal idea. May have to steal it!
  • success313
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I lost over 100 lbs, one pound at a time. My knee replacement doctor suggested I should lose 20 - something clicked with me and I found MFP, and accomplished the big loss. It really is being mindful of one day, one meal at a time. Recently I had my passport renewed, and compared the new one with the old one and a couple of other photo IDs I have - what a difference!! I really would not have noticed it, nor would my family, unless I held those two or three pics up to compare - I mean, they see the loss, but how dramatic it is is really evident in photos now.

So take photos as you reduce - you will marvel and laugh at them when you reach your goal!!

Congrats on losing over 100! I have some before pictures I will share on MFP. One day, for sure.
  • success313
    Options
    I need to lose more and have given myself small monthly goals. One baby step at a time. This month I surpassed my goal and I'm proud of myself but I also know not every month will be a win and I will stumble from time to time but I'm going to keep picking myself up and trying to reach the small goals and hope that they eventually add up to a large loss of weight.

I'm with you. I have been creating small weekly goals for myself. I'm currently in week 2 using MFP. The first week I decided to stop drinking soda. I don't believe in eliminating foods completely except for soda, as I am pre-diabetic. So, I did well with that and you're right...I was proud of myself. This week my goal has been to increase my activity. So far, I have walked three times (20/30/30). Each week will have a mini goal to keep things moving in the right direction.

We can do this!
  • stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If --- you follow this post you will loose weight: Breakfast is bowl of un-cooked oatmeal add apple juice and raisins in it. Lunchtime- is Popcorn and apple juice. Dinner- chicken and veggies . No bread or cheese or pasta noodles of any kind, When you reach your ideal weight you can add more carbs at dinner like potatoes , beans ECT. but never exceed a 8 ounces cup portion. Because the carbs will be too high and you will gain -the weight back. You may of heard of cheat days in diets, well that is one day out the week you can have pizza or cake but- that for after a man or woman reaches- there ideal weight. Loss weight..
  • success313
    Options
    stylzemail wrote: »
    If --- you follow this post you will loose weight: Breakfast is bowl of un-cooked oatmeal add apple juice and raisins in it. Lunchtime- is Popcorn and apple juice. Dinner- chicken and veggies . No bread or cheese or pasta noodles of any kind, When you reach your ideal weight you can add more carbs at dinner like potatoes , beans ECT. but never exceed a 8 ounces cup portion. Because the carbs will be too high and you will gain -the weight back. You may of heard of cheat days in diets, well that is one day out the week you can have pizza or cake but- that for after a man or woman reaches- there ideal weight. Loss weight..

Thank you for your response. However, I am not interested in cutting out carbs or even eating some rigid meal plan to lose weight. I am much more interested in eating healthy, portion control, exercise and even incorporating some carbs.
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've simply reduced my intake and so far this month am down 22.2lbs. I know if I were to cut out things that I love, like bread, pasta and the occasional sweet I would never be successful.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i know this isnt what this thread is for but anyone can add me i love that i added success... i like getting actual posts in my feed i look forward to them so if your that kind of person please feel free and even if you just want to talk thats fine too
  • ByGraceICan
    ByGraceICan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a bit tragic, but I have a little spreadsheet that lists out all the pounds I want to lose in one column, and a load of "microgoals" in the other column. These are lots of little milestones that I can tick off as I go. They include:

- Losing 5lbs (then 10, 15, etc)
    - Losing 7lbs (I'm the UK, so we also talk in terms of Stones (14lbs) and Half Stones (7lbs)
    - Every time I lose 5% increment of 100% target (I just passed 20% to target and it felt GOOD!)
    - Every time I break into a new "decade" on the scales, e.g. hitting the 170s, 160s, 150s, etc
    - Every time I lose a 5% increment of my Original Body Weight
    - Every time I hit a new round number on my BMI.

Basically it means that with every pound or two I hit another target, and that gives me a pile of motivation to keep going, rather than getting focused on my goal weight (which is a long way away!)