I bought ginger root...now what??

1235»

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited January 2017
    I love ginger, but I don't think it has any effect on metabolism. I mince it along with the green onion bulbs and garlic and saute in fat as a base for many Asian dishes. I also make tea by slicing an ounce thinly, no need to peel, throw in my carafe, pour a quart of boiling water over it and let it steep for 30 minutes or more. I've used powdered ginger in baked goods before and it was delicious. I'll have to try fresh some time. Homemade ginger bread is the delish.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I was just going to suggest homemade ginger ale. Love.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.

Thanks!

What if i told you... you can use a spoon to peel ginger painlessly and effortlessly.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v908vjRX8Gc

I am glad I live somewhere where ginger is cheap. I used to grow it in a pot on my patio when I lived in Vegas, very attractive plant. I just use the cut the big chunks off the sides to make a cube method and throw the peel chunks in the compost. Saving them for tea is a good idea though.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.

"Fat burners" are a scam and a complete waste of money. At least food tastes good.

No they aren't. They just don't provide miracles, they're supplements which are intended to do exactly that, supplement your diet and exercise. When used that way they work as intended. Not only that but most have appetite suppressants in them as well.

Is this a joke? Of course fat burners are a scam. Why else would they add "works on conjunction to diet and exercise). At the very most they would increase your TDEE by a very tiny percent. May as well go for a 15 minute walk.

The only way to be successful at weight loss is to eat below your maintenance..and yes, any diet falls under this.

So I guess the improved results that I and people I know have had while taking them are just imaginary? Do you even have experience taking them or is your opinion based on what you've seen others say? My opinion is based solely on what I have experienced myself while taking them and yes I have had improved results while on them vs while I'm not, and before this is said; no I am not talking about the initial water weight these cause you to lose.

then how about you eat in a surplus and take the fat burners and see how well they work,then report back to us. then you will be able to tell if they work compared to a deficit of calories

I think the point is being missed. Most people call them fat burners which is why I referred to it at such but they don't "burn fat" they're actually called thermogenics which raises your BMR. If you really need proof just track your heart rate, my normal Resting heart rate is 55 and while on a thermogenic or "fat burner" my resting heart rate is 80 consistently throughout the day. That makes a difference in the amount of calories burned in the day, more so than these metabolism boosting food which was my original claim in my first post.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Check out this article on benefits of ginger root and ways to make it:

http://www.chopra.com/articles/the-health-benefits-of-ginger-tea

According to the link -

Drinking ginger tea can:

Help the body absorb nutrients
    Help alleviate the stomach pain
    Help with irritable bowl syndrome
    Help with weight loss
    Help fight cancer
    Help manage glucose levels
    Improve circulation
    Improve the food digestion
    Increases the production of gastric juice
    Protect against Alzheimer’s Disease
    Open inflamed airways
    Reduce arthritic inflammation
    Relieve menstrual discomfort
    Relieve stress
    Stimulate appetite

I'd buy maybe three of those.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    A Chinese friend just taught me to steep slices of it in hot water as you would a tea bag. The longer it steeps, the stronger it gets. It's great for a cold or stuffy nose. You can also use crystallized ginger to get the same effect.

This is what I use it for.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.

"Fat burners" are a scam and a complete waste of money. At least food tastes good.

No they aren't. They just don't provide miracles, they're supplements which are intended to do exactly that, supplement your diet and exercise. When used that way they work as intended. Not only that but most have appetite suppressants in them as well.

Is this a joke? Of course fat burners are a scam. Why else would they add "works on conjunction to diet and exercise). At the very most they would increase your TDEE by a very tiny percent. May as well go for a 15 minute walk.

The only way to be successful at weight loss is to eat below your maintenance..and yes, any diet falls under this.

So I guess the improved results that I and people I know have had while taking them are just imaginary? Do you even have experience taking them or is your opinion based on what you've seen others say? My opinion is based solely on what I have experienced myself while taking them and yes I have had improved results while on them vs while I'm not, and before this is said; no I am not talking about the initial water weight these cause you to lose.

then how about you eat in a surplus and take the fat burners and see how well they work,then report back to us. then you will be able to tell if they work compared to a deficit of calories

I think the point is being missed. Most people call them fat burners which is why I referred to it at such but they don't "burn fat" they're actually called thermogenics which raises your BMR. If you really need proof just track your heart rate, my normal Resting heart rate is 55 and while on a thermogenic or "fat burner" my resting heart rate is 80 consistently throughout the day. That makes a difference in the amount of calories burned in the day, more so than these metabolism boosting food which was my original claim in my first post.

your heart rate can be raised from caffeine,certain meds, etc. its not going to be a big enough of a raise for it to matter when it comes to weight loss. there are days my resting heart rate is in the lower 50s and other days its in the lower to mid 60s. I dont burn much if anymore calories that day compared to the lower heart rate. even on days I drink coffee(but then again coffee does not give me energy). the calorie burn is not significant.heart rate is not a big indicator of calories burned either.not to mention a lot of fat burners include ingredients that could be harmful,foods have a thermogenic effect too, but its also small,except for the exercise it would be more than the food or pills,I would assume.

which is why people are saying fat burners dont work because most of the bottles or packaging state when used in combination with diet and exercise. its the exercise and diet(mostly the diet) thats causing the fat/weight loss. The pills arent going to be a larger difference than food.if it is, it still wouldnt be much more.They may give you more energy to exercise longer(not saying they do as I dont take them and I never will),but coffee for a lot of people do the same. But thats as far as it would go.
  • patslitzker
    Having a higher heart rate definitely will cause more calories burned, your body is working harder. But anyways I'm just speaking from personal experience and offering my viewpoints in case the op was interested. A lot of people have bad views on them but they can be useful. I wasn't too concerned with any Heath risks when I took them and other people probably are.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Having a higher heart rate definitely will cause more calories burned, your body is working harder. But anyways I'm just speaking from personal experience and offering my viewpoints in case the op was interested. A lot of people have bad views on them but they can be useful. I wasn't too concerned with any Heath risks when I took them and other people probably are.

yes your body is working harder IF you are working out,therefore your body needs more oxygen. I guess people who have heart issues burn more calories at rest then? http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/17661/1/The-Connection-Between-Heart-Rate-and-Fat-Loss.html as for views being bad on them. they are bad, they can cause health issues or interact with meds if they have other ingredients in them,heck caffeine can be fatal for some people.they arent useful because they dont burn fat,at one point in time they most likely had a better effect because they contained ephedra in the past. they no longer do so they are just basically caffeine pills with other ingredients that also have been proven not to work. but if you want to take them thats your choice.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Make a smoothie with carrot, apple and a bit of ginger.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member

I think the point is being missed. Most people call them fat burners which is why I referred to it at such but they don't "burn fat" they're actually called thermogenics which raises your BMR. If you really need proof just track your heart rate, my normal Resting heart rate is 55 and while on a thermogenic or "fat burner" my resting heart rate is 80 consistently throughout the day.

Oh ... that's not good! :worried:

• ChefBlueEyes
    ChefBlueEyes Posts: 26 Member
    Try this link for health benefits of ginger
    https://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-ginger/
  • patslitzker
    Machka9 wrote: »

I think the point is being missed. Most people call them fat burners which is why I referred to it at such but they don't "burn fat" they're actually called thermogenics which raises your BMR. If you really need proof just track your heart rate, my normal Resting heart rate is 55 and while on a thermogenic or "fat burner" my resting heart rate is 80 consistently throughout the day.

Oh ... that's not good! :worried:

Makes me feel alive
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Try this link for health benefits of ginger
    https://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-ginger/

AuthorityNutrition is really not an authority on nutrition, I'm afraid. :(

Note that the title says...

"11 Proven Health Benefits of Ginger"

...but then goes on to list these "proven" benefits in very ambiguous terms:

"May reduce" instead of "Does reduce."
    "Appears to be effective" instead of "Is effective."
    "Can help with" instead of "Does help with"
    "May lower" instead of "Does lower."
    "May Help Prevent" instead of "Does help prevent."
    "May improve" instead of "Does improve."

Basically, the article is deliberately misleading and should be disregarded due to the blatant falsehood of the click-bait title alone. If any of these 'benefits were truly scientifically proven, the wording would have been very different. :)

• TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    U2R2 wrote: »
    @TheSkyBlushed
    I personally love the combo of:
    garlic minced 1-2 cloves
    1" ginger mince
    3-4 tablespoons honey
    1-2 tablespoons of wheat free tamari (or soy sauce)
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (to taste)
    I usually just eyeball the amounts, so keep tasting until you get the right mix for you.

Hmmmm, I am taking chicken taquitos to a college basketball game affair this weekend. Can you say mexicasian?

The chocolate covered ginger is on the must try list too.

It really could top ice cream it's so good. I brought this to a potluck once and one guy asked if he could just drink the sauce through a straw. LOL
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2017
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I was just going to suggest homemade ginger ale. Love.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.

Thanks!

Yep. Some people use a spoon... but I have never gotten the hang of that one. I just place the cut side down so it sits flat on the cutting board and sort of shave off the skin in a downward direction (away from you or fingers) And that way all of the juice stays on the cutting board to be scooped up! And what's nice about using the box grater is that those long hairy fibers stay on the outside of the grater while only the juicy mince is harvested. WIN! :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member

If it really raised your heart best enough to make a difference that would be dangerous.
  • patslitzker
    Well it did make a difference and I'm alive.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Well it did make a difference and I'm alive.
    But maybe just by luck. Imagine if you had an unknown heart defect.
  • patslitzker
    I've done a lot worse things than those pills so I wouldn't blame them lol.