Beating an Environment?

Options
To put it simply, I live in a really toxic environment. Other than short, relatively lacking, spurts of energy, I find myself sapped of all enthusiasm I could have. I live with someone that's incessantly annoying and attention-craving(mind you, he's not a child ), rarely giving me space to breathe. Now, I plan to start running regularly, so that'll get me out of here; but I'm also trying to exercise in my house. Granted, it'll be in my bedroom, so I won't have to deal with him, but this house in general just seems to take out any enthusiasm I have. I won't be moving out for another six months, when I go to college, but I obviously want to start now. I have music to listen to, and it does help, but it's still incredibly difficult.

I don't know if I'm really getting the feeling of it all across, but I'd enjoy some input.

Thanks in advance, for anyone that replies!

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Weight loss? Fitness? Stress management?
    Try some meditation every day as well as regular exercise to help manage your stress level. There are guided meditation videos on you tube or audio guides if you aren't sure how to go about it. http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Running is a good start. Is there anything else you enjoy doing or any friends you can hang out with elsewhere? I can't recall the particular names of any right now (you can google search and find some), but there are books and online articles that can help you better navigate living with a toxic person and severing those emotional ties when the time is right.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Instead of working out at home can you go to a park?
  • illykins87
    illykins87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Music can be your best friend in a toxic environment. Throw on headphones ignore the world and just do your thing! Can you get an excersize ball, small set of weights or yoga matt for your room? Good luck!
  • CurtisZwinge
    CurtisZwinge Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What is your goal? Weight loss? Fitness? Stress management?
    Try some meditation every day as well as regular exercise to help manage your stress level. There are guided meditation videos on you tube or audio guides if you aren't sure how to go about it. http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations

Weight Loss, and Fitness, essentially. I can't believe I didn't mention that.

Funnily enough, I can't really meditate. I mean, I've tried it, a lot, but it just doesn't work for me. My mind's a little too volatile on the doing-everything-at-once-simultaneously-keep-going-attitude.

Thanks for the suggestions, Loun!
    Running is a good start. Is there anything else you enjoy doing or any friends you can hang out with elsewhere? I can't recall the particular names of any right now (you can google search and find some), but there are books and online articles that can help you better navigate living with a toxic person and severing those emotional ties when the time is right.

Ha! Friends? What are those? Kidding aside, not really. I'll be driving sometime soon, but I don't like it. Call me crazy, but I hate driving with a vengeance. My mind wanders and I have a hard time holding concentrate on many things at once; so I'm a danger to both myself, and others.

I'll look-up those articles, though, and see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions, again, MoS! ^w^
    Instead of working out at home can you go to a park?

I really don't like to drive. My mind wanders, and I'm a danger to both myself, and others. I just really hate doing it. And it's not like the person I'm living with, will drive me.

Thanks though, Cascades!
    illykins87 wrote: »
    Music can be your best friend in a toxic environment. Throw on headphones ignore the world and just do your thing! Can you get an excersize ball, small set of weights or yoga matt for your room? Good luck!

Maybe a yoga-mat, I do like yoga, but I don't have any money right now. I might be getting a job soon, though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, illy!