Running advice, distance or time?

Options
Managed to run 3 mile at the gym without stopping which as a beginner im made up with, but next time i go do i stick to 3 mile and try to do it faster or aim for a longer distance? I want to have some kind of plan in place, any advice i would be greatful for!

Replies

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    3 miles is a good workout. When I run outdoors I tend to go by miles (at least 3) when I run at the gym I usually go by time (30 minutes). There's no method to my madness though...just what I'm used to.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Loumossmfp78 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds like a good idea, mix it up abit! although i can do the 3 mile i definately need to improve on my time! Thanks
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Try to keep a steady pace and increase your distance slowly. Speed will come later.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds like a good idea, mix it up abit! although i can do the 3 mile i definately need to improve on my time! Thanks

You're times will increase the more you run. Good luck.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal. Are you training for a 5K race or something similar, or are you just wanting to improve?

When training for a goal, you will typically alternate your runs. Once a week go for an easy pace but longer distance, once or twice a week you train for speed by doing interval runs (aka fartleks), and then any other runs are mid distance at an easy pace.

That routine will build both your running stamina and the speed you can run. The only caution here is not to push too hard to fast because you can injure yourself.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with @silverfiend 's post. You should probably focus on one overall goal, either time or distance and mix up your workouts a bit as well. If you're looking for more guidance, there are tons of beginner running plans out there for you to look at to get an idea. You can always join us in the January runner's thread over in the Challenge section. Running 3 miles is a great accomplishment, so congratulations and good luck with your running!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    A new runner!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!! Congratulations not just on 3 miles, but on 3 miles and wanting to do it again. That's the spirit! So what do you want to do? Do you want to go fast? Or do you want to go far? Or do you simply want to see where it all takes you? If you're doing 3M then you're already at a 5K (3.1M) race distance. Which is great! You can work on your distance and try to expand to 10K (6.2M), which also has many races. This should take you a while to reach. You can work on trail running, with all the birds and squirrels and trees and roots and rocks and such. Some runners really groove on the serenity of trail running. Your options are as endless as the routes you can run. Again, congratulations, and keep enjoying it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goal is?
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    It depends on your goal. Are you training for a 5K race or something similar, or are you just wanting to improve?

When training for a goal, you will typically alternate your runs. Once a week go for an easy pace but longer distance, once or twice a week you train for speed by doing interval runs (aka fartleks), and then any other runs are mid distance at an easy pace.

That routine will build both your running stamina and the speed you can run. The only caution here is not to push too hard to fast because you can injure yourself.

I wasnt sure which way to approach it, i enjoy running and although i did the 3 mile it wasnt the quickest, so i thought about aiming for a quicker time before i step up the distance! But i like the idea of alternating my runs like youve suggested, so might give that a go! Thanks
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    trijoe wrote: »
    A new runner!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!! Congratulations not just on 3 miles, but on 3 miles and wanting to do it again. That's the spirit! So what do you want to do? Do you want to go fast? Or do you want to go far? Or do you simply want to see where it all takes you? If you're doing 3M then you're already at a 5K (3.1M) race distance. Which is great! You can work on your distance and try to expand to 10K (6.2M), which also has many races. This should take you a while to reach. You can work on trail running, with all the birds and squirrels and trees and roots and rocks and such. Some runners really groove on the serenity of trail running. Your options are as endless as the routes you can run. Again, congratulations, and keep enjoying it!

I wasnt expecting to enjoy running so much , i guess i want to see where it takes me without the novelty wearing off! Dont think im ready for trail running just yet but maybe thats something i can work towards thanks so much
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Do most of your runs slowly. You will build up your endurance with less chance of injury. Speed will come with more miles even if they are done slowly. Only do a faster run about once a week, and warm up well before you start running faster. (i.e. 1/4 mile walk, 1 mile slow jog, then do some faster intervals.)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I ran track and cross country in high school. At the start of every season, our coach would drill into us, "Distance first, speed later."
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options

I think long term my goal is going to be distance thanks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think long term my goal is going to be distance thanks

In that case, train for distance, speed will come.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    Do most of your runs slowly. You will build up your endurance with less chance of injury. Speed will come with more miles even if they are done slowly. Only do a faster run about once a week, and warm up well before you start running faster. (i.e. 1/4 mile walk, 1 mile slow jog, then do some faster intervals.)

im going to aim to run 3 times a week, do 2 slow to build up my endurance and then my 3rd aim for speed thanks a lot youve really helped
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    that's a good plan. i have my long run on mondays (10k at the moment), a nice steady 5k on wednesdays and another faster 5k on fridays. then in the weekend i have two nice rest days, so i can start on monday all over again.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    That's kind of how I started running. I was 60 days into P90X3, and decided to run on the treadmill. Just felt like running! I fully expected to have to do a run walk combo, but I ran the entire 3 miles without stopping (although it was slow).

Since I only had 30 days of P90x left, i didn't have time to add in more runs. So, I ran 3 miles once per week and worked on increasing my speed for small durations. After P90X3 was over, I gradually started adding in more running days. I got up to running 3 miles a day, 3x a week. At some point, I moved from the treadmill to outside. From there, I increased 1 run a week by 1 mile. I remember being ecstatic when I ran 5 miles straight. Now, my 1st marathon is 4 weeks away.

If you really enjoyed running, I would recommend following a plan so you don't get injured. Although I didn't do C25K personally, I hear a lot of people rave about it. There are also free training plans you can find on the internet. You'd want to look for a beginner 5K plan. The more your body gets used to running, and the more miles you log, your speed will naturally increase. You just need to take small steps so you don't get injured.

Welcome to the world of running...it's addicting! Lol!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    Thankyou @jennypapage ! That sounds like a plan aim for different runs on different days! Im gonna do 3 runs a week, i can do the 5k now no problem so maybe i need to work towards the 10k that way im being challenged still! Didnt think id like running so much :)
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    Thankyou @BEERRUNNER! I didnt think i had it in me run 5k without stoppping.my first attempt too, i was ecstatic and i felt great after it! Didnt realise how much i loved running! I think i need to step it up to 3 days now and aim for the 10k on one of those days! If i did a 3 mile treadmill run today im i crazy attempting a jog outside tomorrow? Or do i need a rest day in between
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I find running on a treadmill to be easier than running outside - at least at first (my first outside runs after a winter on the treadmill suck!)

I'd take it easy and build and not do too many consecutive days of running - consider cross-training (swimming, cycling, weights, yoga)