For the Gluten Sensitive...

Options

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For a food to be considered gluten free, and safe for MOST celiacs, but not all, it need less than 1 part per 20,000,000.

What is your source? I'm Coeliac and in the UK food sold can only legally be called GF if it has less than 20 parts per million...?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Great article. Interesting for sure.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's a very interesting theory, but I wouldn't want to test it, as much as I miss bread -- especially breads like those highlighted in the article.

Beer contains fermented gluten, and I and any other celiac would still have a reaction to it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Gx____ wrote: »
    For a food to be considered gluten free, and safe for MOST celiacs, but not all, it need less than 1 part per 20,000,000.

What is your source? I'm Coeliac and in the UK food sold can only legally be called GF if it has less than 20 parts per million...?

Standards in North America are stricter than they are in the UK. I'd never eat your products over there.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    It's a very interesting theory, but I wouldn't want to test it, as much as I miss bread -- especially breads like those highlighted in the article.

Beer contains fermented gluten, and I and any other celiac would still have a reaction to it.

Exactly. I'd want to see large controlled studies where gluten reaction was determined using actual small intestine biopsy results. If there ever comes a time when someone develops genuine gluten-free sourdough bread I'll probably gain back every pound I've lost making up for lost time :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I guess the post refers to "gluten sensitivity " Not the same as coeliac disease.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I guess the post refers to "gluten sensitivity " Not the same as coeliac disease.

Except the article mentions celiac disease and the theory that the rise in it is due to breads being rushed. It's just a bad article.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Except the article mentions celiac disease and the theory that the rise in it is due to breads being rushed. It's just a bad article.

Yeah I agree. - it's misleading to say the least
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I raised a Celiac. I would never feed that to her. Zero. Gluten. Ever. The smallest crumb does her in. Took 10 years after her diagnosis to tolerate legit GF oats. No way no how should she eat that bread.

Maybe for those on the "intolerant" spectrum, but never a Celiac.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Gx____ wrote: »

Sorry. I mistyped that. Serves me right trying to type and talk to the kids at the same time. I believe it is 5 parts per million in Canada.... Still a crumb.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Standards in North America are stricter than they are in the UK. I'd never eat your products over there.

Actually, it depends on where you are in North America. If you are in Canada, oh heck yeah. Their standards are for lower ppm, and they allow fewer questionable ingredients.

If you are in the USA, standards are the exact same as in the UK. Possibly poorer monitoring by our government, considering that the FDA literally HAS no real monitoring. They will only see if a company is in compliance with the rules if there are enough complaints about people getting sick. There are no regular checks, otherwise. :-/