Motivate each other to start exercising?? ☺

Options
Hi! I have been using the last month on mfp to overhaul my diet - getting rid of 98% of the bad stuff, massively increasing intake of vegetables and grains and seeing a gradual decline in weight. BUT I cannot make myself shift into gear to start exercising. I have no excuse as I have a good treadmill. I just find I'm more motivated when I feel part of a group. Would anyone like to join me on a daily commitment? Pick whatever kind, intensity and duration of exercise you like. We will post here what we intend to do and post back when we have done it - or if you prefer just post when you have done something. Anything else that will help us to get in gear and get moving is welcome

Replies

• Fififox9
    Fififox9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    O.k then...better practice what I preach. I'm going to go and get changed and do half an hour moderate to brisk walking on the treadmill.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the best way to get motivated is to do it. I used to have the gym or any physical activity but after doing it for a little while and actually getting good at it I started to enjoy it. You'll go from feeling out of place to feeling like a damn animal.
  • Fififox9
    Options
    Thanks patslitzker...yeh...today is the day I make that move. I know it will drive itself once I set up any sort of pattern. Off to start ☺
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Something that may work is starting a program that has a schedule. It makes it easier to hold yourself accountable for doing it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you're having this much trouble, maybe the treadmill isn't your thing. Try our forms of exercise until you find something you enjoy and look forward to.

Example: cross country skiing is a great full body workout. I drive five hours and pay for a hotel to be able to ski in the best place. Not because somebody told me I should or shamed me into it, but because it's fun.

Try riding a bike (outdoors). Hiking in scenic places. Swimming in lakes. Etc.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Add me! We can help each other stay motivated toward our goals and become friends along the road! Sending you a friend request
  • Fififox9
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the good constructive ideas. NorthCascades, you are right about finding an exercise that appeals. My exercise of choice is golf. But here currently the weather is dreadful, courses often waterlogged or frozen and also with 2 young kids it's not happening much. I do like the treadmill - I watch Netflix doing it. It's the handiest for me as I can fit it in when the opportunity presents. If I get up and running I'll be fine. Thanks to all - I know it is a case of mind over matter ☺ Demorelli, thanks for the friend request - lets give each other that friendly nudge. I just did 45 minutes there on the treadmill at a brisk pace. Day 1 down!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    find something you enjoy. If you hate working out, it's because you hate your workout. And if you hate your workout, you won't motivate yourself to get up and do it! It took me a few years to find the exercises i enjoy, and i don't bother doing any others! Find something that makes you feel great. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a good treadmill at home, it is just not my first choice of exercise. It is my backup. My first choice is some kind of cardio video. I love some Chalene turbo jam or Shaun T! I have lots of videos (purchased, borrowed, or online) and just rotate through my favorites.
    I walked on a treadmill and did a few minutes on elliptical this morning while I waited for my computer to update, then completed a Turbo Jam video.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,054 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the challenges here ... maybe being a part of a challenge might help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

Personally, I have no trouble at all motivating myself to exercise. For one thing, it's how I get around ... for another thing, I enjoy it. :)
  • Fififox9
    Options
    Thanks Machka9. That does.soumd lime a good motivator. I'll go take a look now. Going to commit to half an hour brisk walking on treadmill again this evening if anyone feels lime joining me in kick starting the exercise process ☺
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would like to do this. I have lost weight, however, I was terrified to Exercise. After a lifetime being an Athlete, I had a deathly reaction to a Antibiotic. Was in ICU almost 3 months, then tried to just go back to my life. I fell 15 times, broke bones, then would not leave home. I am trying to walk but I am so out of breath, I have to sit. EVERYONE says to just keep going. So, let's do it.
  • Fififox9
    Options
    Hi aka6272. Sorry I didn't get a notification.of your post. Would you still like to try this with me? I will send you a friend request, nut we will post here in case anyone else would like to join.
  • loznessmonster
    loznessmonster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps, I'm kinda glad to see I'm not alone in my struggle to actually get up and do stuff. Any one want a fitness friend, feel free to add me :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    I would like to do this. I have lost weight, however, I was terrified to Exercise. After a lifetime being an Athlete, I had a deathly reaction to a Antibiotic. Was in ICU almost 3 months, then tried to just go back to my life. I fell 15 times, broke bones, then would not leave home. I am trying to walk but I am so out of breath, I have to sit. EVERYONE says to just keep going. So, let's do it.

Google seated exercise on YouTube.....it will give you lots of ideas. Anything to keep moving.