Options
124»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Personally I hate Nutella and don't agree with it being marketed as a "health food." But like all desserts, everything in moderation.

I thought they stopped promoting it as a health food.

I've never seen it promoted as a health food.

A few years ago they had a commercial with a mom giving her kids Nutella on whole wheat toast and saying how it was a "wholesome breakfast" over beauty shots of milk and hazelnuts. It didn't actually say it was "healthy" but I'm sure people who don't put much thought into what they eat could have taken it that way :wink:
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yummmm.....Nutella and Biscoff spread are staples in my house. I love them, but I can also moderate them fairly well. I love mixing them into my plain oatmeal.

Speaking of....has anyone tried biscoff and nutella rice krispie treats!? They are to die for. I replace the melted chocolate with melted nutella. :p

http://www.bakerella.com/brown-butter-biscoff-crispy-treat-bars/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Who TF ever thought Nutella was a "health food"?! That being said - yummy deliciousness. Yummy, high-calorie deliciousness.

It's mental health food!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What's sad about it? Other than the fact people think it is a health food.

That is the sad part in my opinion. It drives me crazy when people say they are having a healthy snack and it's nutella.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    What's sad about it? Other than the fact people think it is a health food.

That is the sad part in my opinion. It drives me crazy when people say they are having a healthy snack and it's nutella.

Hey! It has protein (some) in it! Health food, dammit! :)
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Everyone's so big on how coconut is good for you. This is how I like to get my coconut.
    f4pfr7dlcbfi.jpg

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Who TF ever thought Nutella was a "health food"?!

The creative director at Nutella's ad agency, most likely. ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This makes me happy..

qkrcpbgknt9x.jpg

That "duo penotti" brand came out with an Oreos and cream spread recently, I found it at my supermarket yesterday!

duo penotti - love this! i have 1 TBSP on my English muffin in the am - so much chocolate-y goodness
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My son eats it most mornings on a waffle for breakfast. But, he's so active that his fitbit often hits 20k steps by the end of school and I can't keep weight on the boy (he's 11). It's not a health food, but sometimes you resort to anything you can to get food in your kid (especially when they won't stop moving to eat)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Everyone's so big on how coconut is good for you. This is how I like to get my coconut.
    f4pfr7dlcbfi.jpg

Have you tried the Maltese?

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @CooCooPuff Yes, I would rank them as follows:
    1-Bounty This is my fav. 1 and 2 are very close
    2-Twix
    3-Maltesers-This was ok.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Personally I hate Nutella and don't agree with it being marketed as a "health food." But like all desserts, everything in moderation.

There was a lawsuit a few years ago about this.

I submitted a claim to take advantage and got a check for the price of a large jar.
    kimny72 wrote: »

A few years ago they had a commercial with a mom giving her kids Nutella on whole wheat toast and saying how it was a "wholesome breakfast" over beauty shots of milk and hazelnuts. It didn't actually say it was "healthy" but I'm sure people who don't put much thought into what they eat could have taken it that way :wink:

Must have been in a different country than the ones I've lived in.

But then, I only started eating Nutella after I moved to Australia. It didn't seem to be very popular in Canada ... I don't recall ever seeing ads for it. I do recall that I tried it once in Canada, after discovering I couldn't eat peanuts, but didn't like it. I hadn't worked out that you've got to add honey to it to make it taste good. :)

• Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nutella is the only food I completely lose control over! I can't just stop at one serving I could easily polish off an entire jar plus some with just a spoon. I am jealous of those saying they don't like it I wish I didn't the calories in it are crazy !
    Definitely a very sometimes food for me
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It just occurred to me that I may have stumbled on a Nutella replacement by accident while trying to make something else. I was trying to make icing or frosting for some brownies but trying to avoid the billion calories (estimated) that come from the butter and sugar in traditional frosting. I haven't finalized the recipe yet but this is pretty close. It's a small batch because I'm experimenting but I think double this would make enough for a 9x9 set of brownies.

2 tbsp real maple syrup
    1.5 tbsp raw dark cocoa
    1 tbsp of greek yogurt
    1 tbsp of tapioca flour
    1 tsp vanilla

I didn't measure the total volume yet as it's a work in progress but it looks like at least 1/4 cup or 4 tbsp and it's about 170 calories or less than half the Nutella. To a former chubster like me that means I can eat twice as much :)

I don't use artificial sweeteners and prefer natural based ingredients but if you're into that sort of thing you could save a significant amount of calories by using an Aunt Jemima type of sugar free syrup. The maple syrup here is more than 100 calories. Leaving out the cream and using calorie reduced syrup you could probably get a reasonable approximation of Nutella for about 25-30 calories/tbsp or 1/4 to 1/3 the calories.

I suppose you could also use powdered peanut butter instead of tapioca but I'm not sure how well it dissolves as I've never used it. Lots of possibilities here and it's just a matter of dumping everything into a bowl and mixing it together. I imagine it would keep for a long time too.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It just occurred to me that I may have stumbled on a Nutella replacement by accident while trying to make something else. I was trying to make icing or frosting for some brownies but trying to avoid the billion calories (estimated) that come from the butter and sugar in traditional frosting. I haven't finalized the recipe yet but this is pretty close. It's a small batch because I'm experimenting but I think double this would make enough for a 9x9 set of brownies.

2 tbsp real maple syrup
    1.5 tbsp raw dark cocoa
    1 tbsp of greek yogurt
    1 tbsp of tapioca flour
    1 tsp vanilla

I didn't measure the total volume yet as it's a work in progress but it looks like at least 1/4 cup or 4 tbsp and it's about 170 calories or less than half the Nutella. To a former chubster like me that means I can eat twice as much :)

I don't use artificial sweeteners and prefer natural based ingredients but if you're into that sort of thing you could save a significant amount of calories by using an Aunt Jemima type of sugar free syrup. The maple syrup here is more than 100 calories. Leaving out the cream and using calorie reduced syrup you could probably get a reasonable approximation of Nutella for about 25-30 calories/tbsp or 1/4 to 1/3 the calories.

I suppose you could also use powdered peanut butter instead of tapioca but I'm not sure how well it dissolves as I've never used it. Lots of possibilities here and it's just a matter of dumping everything into a bowl and mixing it together. I imagine it would keep for a long time too.

I'm curious how this could be a replacement since it doesn't have any hazelnuts?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    f4pfr7dlcbfi.jpg

i'm not sure what this stuff is. are you expected to put it on bread?

sorry for sounding like a dick if i do. i just need the assumption confirmed because my mind struggles with the bread-candy combination. it seems . . . odd to me, like when people put cinnamon or ginger in tomato-based things.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i'm not sure what this stuff is. are you expected to put it on bread?

sorry for sounding like a dick if i do. i just need the assumption confirmed because my mind struggles with the bread-candy combination. it seems . . . odd to me, like when people put cinnamon or ginger in tomato-based things.

Do you ever put jam on toast? Similar concept. Chocolate + bread is actually a pretty great combo, IMO. It's almost akin to eating a chocolate croissant although not as flakey, obviously.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

2 tbsp real maple syrup
    1.5 tbsp raw dark cocoa
    1 tbsp of greek yogurt
    1 tbsp of tapioca flour
    1 tsp vanilla

I'm curious how this could be a replacement since it doesn't have any hazelnuts?

Feel free to experiment.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Do you ever put jam on toast? Similar concept.

it's just me so i'll spare the rest of you guys, but ever since i first asked this i've been trying to figure out why jam =/= chocolate bar in my mind as a thing it makes sense to spread over bread.
    Chocolate + bread is actually a pretty great combo, IMO. It's almost akin to eating a chocolate croissant although not as flakey, obviously.

fair enough. i make pain au chocolat now and then, so i get the idea. but somehow there are extreme specifics [again only in my own mind] about which kinds of chocolate and what kind of bread.

but anyway, moving on . . . wasn't meaning to sound disparaging, just wanted to make sure i properly understood what the twix and malteser versions were meant to be for.