look at my diary pretty please?

Options
DaniiWanii
DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
I am a vegetarian... could you look at my diary to see if there is anything I can do better?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/DaniiWanii

Replies

• DaniiWanii
    Options
    oh i alllllllwaaaays seem to go over on sugar and carbs :(
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I would suggest keeping an eye on your sodium intake as well...it causes you to retain water
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

This, and sodium.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think get in some more healthy fats + protein. Try to meat the goal set and you can even get more protein in. Beans and legumes are a good (and easily prepared) source of protein and a handful of nuts or a spoonful of avocado will up your fat intake.
    Morrisons - Morrisons Mackerel Fillets In Brine, 88 g

i thought you said you were a vegetarian?
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    I think get in some more healthy fats + protein. Try to meat the goal set and you can even get more protein in. Beans and legumes are a good (and easily prepared) source of protein and a handful of nuts or a spoonful of avocado will up your fat intake.
    Morrisons - Morrisons Mackerel Fillets In Brine, 88 g

i thought you said you were a vegetarian?

yeeeeah well occasionally eat fish and yesterday had the hugest binge and ate chicken and mushroom soup... strangeest thing ever. it's so difficult i hate going into the dreaded RED
  • DaniiWanii
    Options

This, and sodium.

I am trying to only eat natural foods.... after i had a HUGE binge yesterday so hard to keep in the RED :(
  • kmleo
    kmleo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I noticed that in your dinner for Tuesday July 19, the item you have listed as "Fresh Red Onion - Red Onion - Raw, 0.5 onion " has 47 carbs and 20 sugars. That is completely impossible and it has skewed your carb and sugar totals. I recommend searching for a different red onion entry to replace it with so that at least you have more accurate totals.

Aside from that, you can get more protein from nuts and legumes, as mentioned by Joanneeee.

Best wishes!
  • kitkat1781
    kitkat1781 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (but I eat seafood), so I took a look at your diary to compare with mine. Your sugar is high, but from the days I looked at, it appears that is due, for the most part, to a lot of fruit. I have no real expertise in the area, but I like to think that the sugar from fruit is better for you than the processed stuff you find in candy, etc... so I think it's ok. I would echo some of the other posts and suggest that you increase your protein. Try things like nuts, tofu, other meat substitutes (veggie burgers, soy-based "fake meats") to increase protein. I noticed you don't log your water intake--I noticed a big difference once I started being cognizant of how much water I was drinking (really NOT drinking) in a day.
  • jmdep68
    jmdep68 Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree. I use Natural peanut butter. Jif makes a good one that is no stir, meaning no oil sitting on the top when you open it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that jumped out at me is that the stats on that red onion are WAY wrong. 1/2 an onion does not have 47g of carbs. I eat onion nearly every day, and it's no where near that. According to nutritiondata.com, a whole, medium raw onion = 44 cal, 10g of carbs and 1g protein.

Any time you see something that looks unreasonable (in this database), double check it. I had bok choy show up with 1000 mg of sodium and I went wow! ouch! But I double checked it and it was wrong, so I chose a different entry.

And get more protein. 100g of protein (or 1g per pound of lean bodyweight) and make it your primary goal to meet it daily, the rest will fall into place.
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (but I eat seafood), so I took a look at your diary to compare with mine. Your sugar is high, but from the days I looked at, it appears that is due, for the most part, to a lot of fruit. I have no real expertise in the area, but I like to think that the sugar from fruit is better for you than the processed stuff you find in candy, etc... so I think it's ok. I would echo some of the other posts and suggest that you increase your protein. Try things like nuts, tofu, other meat substitutes (veggie burgers, soy-based "fake meats") to increase protein. I noticed you don't log your water intake--I noticed a big difference once I started being cognizant of how much water I was drinking (really NOT drinking) in a day.

I try not to eat the 'fake meat's they are no good for ... i just need to start getting nuts and stuff. Hard when i don't buy my food. But after the huge binge yesterday i need to sort myself out. today is good, trying to eat only natural products! Yeah i don't think the sugar from fruit and veg matters too much. thanks for the advice!
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    Options
    I agree. Your protein intake is very low. Since you're vegetarian you'll need to find other ways to incorporate more protein into your diet.
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    The biggest thing that jumped out at me is that the stats on that red onion are WAY wrong. 1/2 an onion does not have 47g of carbs. I eat onion nearly every day, and it's no where near that. According to nutritiondata.com, a whole, medium raw onion = 44 cal, 10g of carbs and 1g protein.

Any time you see something that looks unreasonable (in this database), double check it. I had bok choy show up with 1000 mg of sodium and I went wow! ouch! But I double checked it and it was wrong, so I chose a different entry.

And get more protein. 100g of protein (or 1g per pound of lean bodyweight) and make it your primary goal to meet it daily, the rest will fall into place.

yeah cheers haha! i try to log as much as i can i need to take more time to do it i usually rush haha!
  • lumai75
    lumai75 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I eat a lot of Quorn products, high in protein and low in fat, so long as you just go for straight Quorn - for example pieces, mince, fillets or sausages and not the pies or things covered in breadcrumbs, you can have a great vegetarian meal for not many calories.

I tend to snack on cottage cheese to keep the carbs down, not to eveyones taste admittedly, but it fills you up :-)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to gauge without a little more information...

Do you eat dairy? Or tofu? Was I seeing correctly when I saw that you ate an egg?
    What is your target loss/week? I think 1200/day is kinda low and think we have similar goals. (from what I can tell)

Sugar/carbs from fruit and veggies are healthy.
    Try to cut the refined carbs (think: crisps, pasta). Beans, legumes, and quinoa are good subs for pasta, us a tortilla or lettuce instead of bread. If you like peanut butter, it's great with an apple as a snack to boost your energy and keep you feeling full longer.

Attempt to eat your fruits in the morning and as a first snack. Something filling for lunch, like a veggie wrap with a form of protein (like beans, cheese, other veggies wrapped in a tortilla or lettuce). You could even eat that as a form of salad. Then a veggie for afternoon snack. Dinner would ideally be a form of protein, a veggie, then a grain.

Check out my food journal on the dates of July 5th and July 6th. Those were nearly ideal eating days for me, message me and tell me what you think :)
  • DaniiWanii
    Options
    It's difficult to gauge without a little more information...

Do you eat dairy? Or tofu? Was I seeing correctly when I saw that you ate an egg?
    What is your target loss/week? I think 1200/day is kinda low and think we have similar goals. (from what I can tell)

Sugar/carbs from fruit and veggies are healthy.
    Try to cut the refined carbs (think: crisps, pasta). Beans, legumes, and quinoa are good subs for pasta, us a tortilla or lettuce instead of bread. If you like peanut butter, it's great with an apple as a snack to boost your energy and keep you feeling full longer.

Attempt to eat your fruits in the morning and as a first snack. Something filling for lunch, like a veggie wrap with a form of protein (like beans, cheese, other veggies wrapped in a tortilla or lettuce). You could even eat that as a form of salad. Then a veggie for afternoon snack. Dinner would ideally be a form of protein, a veggie, then a grain.

Check out my food journal on the dates of July 5th and July 6th. Those were nearly ideal eating days for me, message me and tell me what you think :)

It's so hard not buying my own food because I can basically only choose from what I have in the house and we aren't particularly well off so I just have to make do :/
    I try not to go for the pasta but it's all we have really that builds my calories up and carbs... I am gonna try and give up the bread and pasta though I could eat it all day long!

I need to lose 21lbs to get to my GW. I am not over weight at all at the moment and in healthy bmi range for my weight and height i just need to lose the wobble and tighten up. I think 21lbs would be a great amount of weight to lose.

Thanks for wall the advice... :)