How do you get rid of hunger pains?

Options
2»

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ice, water and Gum depending on the hunger pains.

When your hungry or thirsty the ame impulses are fired to your brain. I need nourishment. Your brain then interprets this and usually comes up with hunger as food generally contains water anyway. So by drinking water when you get this you can often aleviate the "hunger."

Ice is an old trick that anorixics use. As it works on the above information, giving the body nourishment, but because you eat the ice rather than suck it, you can sometimes fool the body into thinking that you're eating as it's gaining nourishment and your jaw is at work. so naturally you must be eating. Doesn't last long, but ice is virtually free anyway. And if you are actually eating what your body needs it's a good way to get used to the dropin food. For example I barely scrape through under my calorie goal, but I still get hunger pains! It's purely because my body is so used to eating a portion designed for two or three people that when it only gets a normal portion it's just not right.

Gum is for when you're not actually hungry. You long for food but you don't actually feel hungry. It allows you to munch without actually feeding you. Surprising how well this can work... so long as you know and understand why you're craving food and eat when you actually need to.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the idea that eating might be the way to go, but if you're new to eating healthier foods you might be feeling what I always think of as that sort of 'scoured' feeling you get when youstart eating loads of fruit and veg rather than carbier, fattier foods. You can sometimes end up absolutely stuffed full of carrots and cucumber and whatnot, and still feel empty, and it's a very odd sensation. The answer, I find, is protein - make sure you're eating plenty of protein-rich foods and you won't end up feeling that way.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    make sure you have a good breakfast something like porridge will keep you going longer!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions above, but for me: little and often, or if sticking to the three meal form, plenty of fibre/protein. Stay off the sugary stuff or fake-sugary stuff.

Sometimes hunger is actually a craving rather than real hunger and keeping busy with something can make it go away.

Log everything you eat, so you can see if you are particular light in protein/carbs/fats etc and if so go for mini snacks high in those areas.

Keep it balanced, keep hydrated and good luck!