Losing inches vs losing weight

Options

Replies

• Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    If you are within a healthy range, inches are a much more important measure to me.

I personally consider a smaller waist measurement and higher weight to be my holy grail body change. For my body type this is a certain indicator of muscle growth.

Hi there,

I totally agree with you. I am loving my curves and the way my legs and butt look and feel. I still have a ways to go, but I am committed to get healthy and strong.

Thanks for your input.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Hi everyone! Today has been a productive day. I really pushed myself hard and now I discovered my love of rowing. It's addictive! Hope everyone had a good day.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Inches are most important to me. I like to see the scale go down, but ultimately my goal was to be smaller not lighter.

Same here! I have learned not to take the numbers on the scale too seriously.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It totally depends on your goals. If your goal is to look better, be healthier, feel better, etc., then inches are absolutely as good as pounds as a way of measuring progress.

On the other hand, if your goal is to meet some externally defined weight standard that has nothing to do with how you look or feel, then pounds are all that matters.

Weight can vary a lot due to water retention, food waste, muscle growth, etc., but the tape measure doesn't lie. I have personally watched my stomach getting flatter (and my pants looser) while my weight has stayed almost exactly the same for weeks, then suddenly my weight drops by several pounds. I'm not sure what is behind it, but it has happened several times over my weight loss journey.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Really and truly, it is the inches that count. Weight is ultimately just a number.

It really depends. For me-my weight controls my glucose numbers. So how much I weigh is my #1 priority. Dropping from size 14 jeans down to size 4s was just a nice side affect :)
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Feel free to add me.
  • Truvanessa
    Options
    Congrats @Sunny_Bunny_ ! That is amazing! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't understand...Your body is changing without weightloss or exercise?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't understand...Your body is changing without weightloss or exercise?

Honestly I don't see much difference in the pictures above other than the tummy, which could simply be posture (holding tummy in vs. not), but it's also possible a change in diet caused less bloating.