Options
    My Costco staples are:

Kirkland brand- liquid egg whites 6pk
    frozen turkey burger patties 12pcs
    plain greek yogurt 2pk
    Whole eggs

Premier protein shakes
    Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate powder

And then I also buy the Kirkland brand dog food. My dog has been doing really well on that for years now.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Tortilla Chicken Soup and Green Chili Chicken Soup. Of course the rotisserie chicken! One of the big bags of popcorn and tortilla chips.

Seconded on the chicken tortilla soup. The Mediterranean chicken skewers are good too.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I love everything about Costco! I always walk in with the intention of getting a couple of things for my lunch but always end up with a basketful of stuff!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Lets see... my shopping list usually includes some combination of these things:

Produce:
    • Berries
    • Spinach
    • French Green Beans
    • Sugar Snap Peas
    • Broccoli
    • Cauliflower
    Meat/Dairy:
    • Black Forest Ham
    • Herb Turkey Breast
    • Milk
    • Fage Greek Yogurt
    • Finlandia Cheese Slices
    • Cheese Tortellini
    • Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
    Deli:
    • Whole Rotisserie Chicken
    • Rotisserie Hindquarters
    • Rotisserie Chicken Breast
    • Chicken Alfredo
    • Ravioli Lasagne
    • Turkey Rollers (Kids favorites)
    Dry Goods:
    • Whole Bean Coffee
    • Premier Protein shakes
    • Seven Grain Bread
    • Taco Seasoning
    • Dog Food
    • Dog Biscuits
    • Viva Paper Towels
    • Kirkland Toilet Paper
    • Water Softener Salt
    • Kirkland Laundry pods
    • Dish washer tabs

I've gotten pretty good at knowing which items go on sale regularly. Items like detergent or protein shakes keep for a long time so when they go on sale I stock up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Talk to me about their "Rotisserie Chicken" I see a lot of you mentioned it. What makes it popular, the taste, price, size? I don't often shop at Walmart in the past I picked up one and it was huge! Other stores they are getting to look more like Cornish hens. :#:D

I like the larger ones so you can make more meals out of the them.

Loving all the suggestions :smiley:@Sabine_Stroehm regarding protein bars... what type do you purchase from there? a brand of theirs?

So their prices...better than other places because of bulk purchasing?

Edited for more question & queries: :laugh:
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce (bell peppers, cucumbers, heirloom cherry tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, brussel sprouts, green beans, spinach, and grapes), large FAGE plain Greek yogurt, frozen Normandy veggies, salmon, and occasionally Crunchmaster crackers, Swiss or Manchego cheese, and Boom Chicka Pop. Try to stick to the whole foods, and not the processed.

Btw, I used to love their $1.50 hot dogs... until I found out they're almost 800 calories. :(
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Talk to me about their "Rotisserie Chicken" I see a lot of you mentioned it. What makes it popular, the taste, price, size? I don't often shop at Walmart in the past I picked up one and it was huge! Other stores they are getting to look more like Cornish hens. :#:D

Loving all the suggestions :smiley:@Sabine_Stroehm regarding protein bars... what type do you purchase from there? a brand of theirs?

As far as the chicken...yes, taste, size, and price. They are huge (we call them small turkeys), and only $5. They also sell 8-packs of rotisserie leg quarters for $5. That's what I usually get.

Their prices are great for what you are getting. But...you still need to compare to what you'd normally buy at a grocery store. For example, if you usually buy ZipLock brand freezer bags, it's a good deal to buy them at Costco. But, if you normally buy generic Target freezer bags, those will generally be cheaper.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I like the Kirkland organic chicken broth because it is gluten free and most others at that price are not. I also buy:

Madras lentils
    Kirkland canned tomatoes (diced and sauce)
    Black beans
    Basmati rice
    Kirkland Normandy frozen vegetables
    Thai Kitchen Coconut milk
    Wine
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

These. They are the Kirkland brand of quest bars. Similar profile.

I keep em around for emergencies.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Protein-Bar-Chocolate-Brownie-%2526-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough-2--Pack-20-Count.product.100296106.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything...we get most of our groceries at Costco except for a few items like beans, lentils, potatoes, onions, etc that we don't want to have 200 Lbs of.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Organic chicken broth
    Produce - salad mix, spinach, broccoli, cukes, compari tomatoes (best around in winter), blueberries, asparagus, green beans, brussell sprouts and peppers.
    Kodiak pancake mix.
    Frozen individual mahi mahi, tilapia and fresh salmon filets
    Frozen normady vegetables.
    Edamame frozen single serving packs
    Seasonings - montreal steak, their is a good asian one
    Roissiere chicken
    Pork tenderloin
    Organic chicken breasts
    All White Egg Whites
    Eggs
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

These. They are the Kirkland brand of quest bars. Similar profile.

I keep em around for emergencies.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature™-Protein-Bar-Chocolate-Brownie-%2526-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough-2--Pack-20-Count.product.100296106.html

Oh, OK, thanks..I do remember hearing about these, they're quite a bit cheaper than the quest bars, right?

As far as the chicken...yes, taste, size, and price. They are huge (we call them small turkeys), and only $5. They also sell 8-packs of rotisserie leg quarters for $5.
    That's what I usually get.

Their prices are great for what you are getting. But...you still need to compare to what you'd normally buy at a grocery store. For example, if you usually buy ZipLock brand freezer bags, it's a good deal to buy them at Costco. But, if you normally buy generic Target freezer bags, those will generally be cheaper.
    @SuzySunshine99 Thanks for the insight! Good to know info on the small turkeys :laugh: They sound like a great buy and lots of meals to be had out of them!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    In Canada, the rotisserie chickens are $7.99 - at least they are in the store in my city, and they are way bigger than the ones I can find at local supermarket chains where they charge up to $12.00. I found a great item - GoodFoods cranberry, pecan and chicken salad. They come in a pack of 8 individual containers, and come in at 140 calories each - good on their own, or in a bun as a sammie. Hubby LOVES the big weiners, I love the soups from the refrigerator cases (especially the asian pho ones) and their produce and meat seem to be a great deal. My problem with Costco is that there is only the two of us at home now, and it would take a month of Sundays to go through some of the items before they went bad. I freeze as much as I can but there is a limit on how much I can store!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I literally just got back from Costco

Blueberries
    Salmon
    Organic Spring Mix
    bag of fresh garlic
    Broccoli
    Bulk Zip Loc bags

I controlled myself pretty well today.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    We go to Costco once every 2 months. Below are a few of my staples.

- Meats. All the meats. Ground Beef, chicken, steaks (love costco filets), pork, etc. When I get home I wrap them in my food saver in portions (1 lb ground beef, 2 steaks, etc.) and freeze.
    - Rotisserie Chickens
    - Bacon - I always have pounds of it in my freezer. It is good and so much cheaper that traditional grocery stores, so I stock up.
    - Chicken Broth
    - Frozen Turkey Sausage Patties (my husband loves these)
    - Individual Creme Brulees (they only have these every once in a while, but they are the perfect little treat!)
    - Bags of Pecans and Almonds (I stock up and freeze then season and roast for whatever sounds good at the moment, sweet or savory)
    - Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter!!! I always have boxes of this in my freezer. I think right now I have like 8 boxes in my freezer.
    - Misc. things, like toilet paper, paper towels, clorox wipes, ziploc bags, venus razors, etc.
    - Melatonin. Both DH and I use this every night so it is a staple in my house.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Signature Protein bars

• cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wine & beer
    Chicken breast, all kinds of beef, salmon, crabs
    Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread
    5-dozen cage free eggs
    Pre-washed broccoli, organic spring mix
    Sparkling water
    Croissants (only if I go off track REALLY bad...)
    Quinoa
    Walkers shortbread (for my ma, she loves it!!)
    Mixed nuts (unsalted)

TOO MANY....
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I pick up their take-n-bake pizzas, cut them into 12 slices, wrap and freeze them so I have have a little pizza fix from time to time.

This is genius.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Regarding the rotisserie chickens: as others have said they are huge and only $4.99.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who isn't totally a fan of them. I will eat them if it's convenient, but I find the texture of the breast meat to be funny sometimes. They are definitely injected with a high amount of sodium solution to make the juicy and tender and I think that too much of that tends to make the texture of the meat funky. These days, I've been getting my rotisserie chickens from Wegman's. Also $4.99 but a bit smaller and they seem more like chicken and less processed.