Does anyone else put in your meals a day in advance?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Quite often I'll put in my lunches and snacks. Those are my decision so ... why not log them in advance.

My dinners are my husband's decision so I don't know what we'll eat until he makes it.

But pre-logging means that I can drop or add things depending on what's for dinner. Big dinner = lighter evening snack. Light dinner = bigger evening snack.
  • angelbabe218
    angelbabe218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    No, but that is a GREAT idea. When I get within a few weeks of my race I have to pay super close attention to my nutrition. I sometimes struggle to do this and I think you just gave me the idea I needed. I can use MFP to 'plan' my days so I know I will get enough protein and calories.

THANKS! :)

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.
  • dominique_paul
    dominique_paul Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stopped putting in meals before I had them because I end up not eating it. I'm very indecisive and change my mind about my food choices too often.
    But it's not a bad thing if it help you! Logging workouts sounds smart if it forces you to do them. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    For religious reasons I don't write or type from sundown Friday night to dark on Saturday. Since Sabbath meals tend to be bigger (and include delicious delicious bread...), in the past I've used 'I can't write anything down' as an excuse to go off the rails and then "forget" to journal accurately later. I started writing down my Sabbath meals in advance and it's been working great. I've realized that I AM going to treat myself to a piece of cake or cookie, but that by planning it ahead of time and scheduling in, I avoid all of the guilt/negative self-talk I used to have about 'blowing my diet', 'may as well just grab more food because today is a washout anyway'. Same thing with two slices of bread. I wrote it down. I calculated the calories, and goldarnit, I'm going to enjoy it!

I treat other social events the same way. If I see/know the calories I mean to consume, I'm a lot more relaxed and a treat doesn't become a cheat.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I do it on the day,in the morning- I'm trying to gain weight and it helps me to see if I might be in a deficit and then I can tweak it. Don't feel guilty ,there are already enough things to feel guilty about !
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat the same meals Monday - Friday. I find it helps with buying (cheaper in bulk, less waste etc) and prep, and I don't get bored. I'll probably eat the same meals for weeks.... So I might have entered my meals a month/6 weeks in advance.

I am doing comp prep at the moment, and macros changed last week, so I've done my "new" meal plan for the week today.

Weekends are more flexible - I have more time to get creative in the kitchen - these days are logged in the morning before I eat anything. I can't log as I go - I need to know what I'm eating and that I can get to dinner with food left to eat :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I pre-log weeks in advance. I sometimes tweak it a bit but at lost more than 90% is accurate. I enjoy pre-logging.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do a weekly food/exercise/goal planner on paper weds or thurs for the following week, I prep my workday lunches for the week on a Sunday and will add food into MFP 1-2 days ahead and then just tweak as necessary when I am weighing stuff out or if I swap snacks, the only thing I generally add in as it happens is exercise as I often do extra walking or switch my workouts around. It's helped me get 10lb off in 4 weeks so far, so I certainly don't feel guilty.
  • HMHolder001
    HMHolder001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just got on here, and I've started to do this myself. I feel more in control and that I can manage my intake better. I also work around with what I put in to see what works and gets me closest to calorie needs. I feel like it motivates me to look forward to the day ahead and doing it well :)
  • zeke1111
    zeke1111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Evening meals are out of my control, while weekday breakfasts, lunches and snacks are within my control. I record tonight's intake on tomorrow's diary; that allows me to adjust my daytime intake accordingly.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Most days I will pre log for my next day if I have meals planned. I always end up tweaking it but gives me a general idea of what kind of snacks I can plan on having
  • gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do a day in advance often. Makes meal planning easier. Even helps with the getting off work and home to make supper bettet since I have it planned.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I always do, then there's no guess work
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch, I can pre-log for the week. Dinner is what the wife cooks so I can't pre-log that.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do it and like it when I can. It can be tough to decide whether or not to have a snack in the afternoon when I get a little hungry... if I am able to pre-log dinner I know how many calories I have to play with for the day so I make better decisions and don't end up eating too much early in the day.
  • Bridogg72
    Bridogg72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I log my lunch if I make it the night before
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - always prefer to pre log, then I can go through the day on auto pilot, foodwise. Since my "breakfast" and lunch dont change too dramatically, I really only have to think about dinner, and after setting out the menu for the week, and doing the shopping and prep work, it just makes sense to me to put it all into MFP.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I Log in advance all the time.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep, someone on the boards suggested it as a way of hitting your calorie targets. I gave it a try and I now do it all the time! I very rarely go over AND I know what to prepare the night before.

Good luck.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I don't regularly do it, but I have before. Especially when I know for sure that something is coming up (like going out to eat or a party, etc.) It helps me to plan around things I know are for sure happening in advance rather than just winging it the day of. (For example, every Friday I know I am going to have homemade pizza and a 20 oz. coke, so I generally always pre-log those.)

So, when it is helpful for planning, I always pre-log. But, majority of the time I just wing it the day of and adjust as I go.