NEED SOME ADVICE!!!!!

Options
zman10512
zman10512 Posts: 11 Member
Hi my name is Zach im 19 years old and currently 205 lbs. I used to be pretty fit and was sitting around 185 lbs and working out daily. About a year ago i lost a few very important people in my life and i completely stopped working out. I lost all my muscle and shot up to 225 lbs. I am finally back on my fit. I have a loving and supporting Gf and have been able to get down to 205lbs in about 2 months. Recently i hit a wall. I cant loose more weight. My goal was to work out until i hit 185 again and then start working on muscle so i have only been running. I am extremely determined but i am unsure as to what to do next. I had some friend tell me to recomp my body but i don't know what that is. Any Advice?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Diet is key to weight loss. You can't out run your fork. Set a goal of 1 pound per week loss and stick to it. Weigh and log everything in grams or oz. Have patience.
  • zman10512
    Options
    i have been dieting since i started the weight loss...i only eat lean protein fruits and veggies..i basically cut carbs and im eating around 1000 calories a day so i should be getting passed this hump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    zman10512 wrote: »
    i have been dieting since i started the weight loss...i only eat lean protein fruits and veggies..i basically cut carbs and im eating around 1000 calories a day so i should be getting passed this hump

Yikes! Only 1000 calories a day?! I hope your logging is way off. You should be eating 1500 minimum PLUS exercise calories. You're going to lose a ton of muscle by under eating and then exercising on top of it. Normally I'd say to start lifting now to preserve muscle mass but with as little as you're eating I can't see where you'd even have the energy to do anything more.

Your next step should be to decide to do this in a healthy way. Get adequate nourishment for your body. Sounds like you've been through a lot lately - but taking care of yourself is still a necessity. Good luck.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Not enough. You already stated you lost your muscle mass and eating too few will only cause you to be skinny fat. You need to eat to lose. Set a goal of 1 pound a week and you will find you can still accomplish weight loss without starving yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Start lifting NOW, with all that cardio and a ridiculously low calorie goal all you're currently doing us burning away muscle which means you'll end up smaller but still squishy
  • zman10512
    Options
    I am currently taking around 200g of protein daily with my runs i haven't added that to the calorie count but i am super determined to do this.... but i am unsure what weights and workouts to do on my own. when i was in shape i had a personal trainer 2 times a week
  • sonstott63
    sonstott63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cardio alone is the hardest way to lose weight. Need to cross-train. Use weights and do cardio. Also a healthy diet of course is needed!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    sonstott63 wrote: »
    Cardio alone is the hardest way to lose weight. Need to cross-train. Use weights and do cardio. Also a healthy diet of course is needed!

When it comes to weight loss, maintaining a caloric deficit is more important than everything you just mentioned.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking around 200g of protein daily with my runs i haven't added that to the calorie count but i am super determined to do this.... but i am unsure what weights and workouts to do on my own. when i was in shape i had a personal trainer 2 times a week

Can you clarify? Are you saying you aren't adding the cardio calories, or you aren't adding the 200g of protein to your calories?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

200 grams of protein is 800 calories. How are you only eating 1000 calories per day?

ETA: Oh, I see you're not adding that to your calorie total for the day. So you're closer to 1800 calories per day, assuming you are logging correctly (which I doubt).

9b9fxcj0fifa.jpg
  • zman10512
    Options
    Thank you for all the great posts and help so far! i am keeping correct track of the foods and my calorie intake. But i believe guys you may be right and the excess calories i take from the protein is too much so that is why i am not loosing any weight! thanks for all the help!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great posts and help so far! i am keeping correct track of the foods and my calorie intake. But i believe guys you may be right and the excess calories i take from the protein is too much so that is why i am not loosing any weight! thanks for all the help!

Protein adds to your total calorie intake, so if you aren't logging it, then you aren't actually eating 1000calories. 1800 calories may be fine for you (I can lose on 1600, and I'm 5'2" and a middle aged woman). It will depend on accuracy of logging, and if you are consuming food (protein) without logging it, then you aren't being accurate.
  • zman10512
    Options
    i am accurate on the food i log and i am accurate in that i know i take exactly 200g of protein.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Please do not keep cutting calories! Get back in the gym and build some strength. The extra muscle will help you lean out and if you can limit your food, you'll naturally recomp. I'm sure your supportive gf would support you man-ing up, as well. At 1800 calories and at 19 years old, 3 gym sessions a week should be the deciding factor.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes- You are within 20 lb of your goal, so aim for slower loss (that close to ideal weight, most would suggest no more than 0.5-1 lb/wk) and work on rebuilding the muscle.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Yes- You are within 20 lb of your goal, so aim for slower loss (that close to ideal weight, most would suggest no more than 0.5-1 lb/wk) and work on rebuilding the muscle.

with 20lb left to go 0.5 lb/week is the highest you should go. as for rebuilding the muscle,a recomp(which is slow) or eating in a surplus and a progressive lifting program is what is needed.
  • zman10512
    Options
    Okay i can definitely do that...so considering i currently run 4 miles a day should i stick to that and add a lifting program or should i cut down to 2 mile ruins and focus more on lifting?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Okay i can definitely do that...so considering i currently run 4 miles a day should i stick to that and add a lifting program or should i cut down to 2 mile ruins and focus more on lifting?

if you arent eating in maintenance or a surplus you probably wont gain much muscle,so if you are trying to lose, you can lift and run,just alternate the days you do so. you can run less if you like and focus more on lifting,its up to you. but once you decided to try and gain muscle I would do less running and focus more on the lifting.lifting now will help prevent muscle loss as well and change how your body looks.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    i am accurate on the food i log and i am accurate in that i know i take exactly 200g of protein.

Your 200g of protein is 800 calories.

1g of protein has 4 calories. You are not eating 1000, you're eating 1800, maybe more if you're not weighing all the foods you eat on a food scale..