Cheat day.... yay or nay???????

Options

Replies

• ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day for all of the good reasons mentioned above. That said, I record my weight on a Monday morning and tend to go a little easier on myself for the rest of the day. Tonight I am going to have a thin crust pizza and I am looking forward to it. Within my calories, but more than I would normally have.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the OP is talking about eating "cheat" foods, not about going over her calories. In that case, then yes, eating the cheat food should be fine in terms of weight loss, because you're still staying within your calorie goal. But like most others on here, I don't have any foods that I consider "cheat" foods--anything goes! It just has to fit in my daily and/or weekly calorie goal. Maybe by allowing yourself these foods during the week, you won't feel so deprived?

If the worry is that the cheat food is going to make you go over on calories, then you just have to eat a smaller portion of it, or you can "bank" calories, as someone else suggested. I'm currently experimenting with this myself. I know I want to be able to eat more calories on the weekend, and it's easier for me, with my schedule, to eat less on Monday-Wed. So I'm aiming this week for about 1200 calories Mon-Wed and 1500 on Thursday, leaving me about 1800 on Fri-Sun. My weekly total will still be about 10,500 calories, giving me a 1lb loss for the week. Note--I also eat back half of my exercise calories, so I'm actually eating more than the numbers above.

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No cheat days/meals for me yet (day30), and I don't intend to have them. I am not saying never, cuz it may happen. I would just rather not have them. I won't beat myself up if they happen, but I have had too many cheat days, and starting over tomorrow days, to let this happen. I figure I would only be cheating myself of reaching, and maintaining my goals.

However, if it helps you, and you can limit it to one day, or meal, go for it.

This is all about what works for each of us long term!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    A cheat day that you eat what you want, end up over-full and blow your diet for the entire last week of hard work.. no. A cheat day that you log everything, allow yourself to go over a bit within reason, then pay for it later by doing some extra hard work so that you don't blow the entire least week's, or moth's, hard work.. sure why not. It's all in how you do it. If having a 'cheat' day is important to you, then do it right so you aren't setting yourself back.

If you practice IIFYM and stay within your calorie goals over a period of a week a cheat day really isn't necessary.
  • steph_runn44
    steph_runn44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many people above. Don't think about it as a "cheat". I have had chocolate ever day since I've started, I've gone out drinking with friends and I've eaten fried food. All would be considered "cheat" foods. Often when I'm out I won't track those but I do eat wayyyy less than before I started losing weight and also workout extra the morning before a night out. You can fit things into your calories without making you feel like you are breaking the rules.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I guess everything is open to interpretation.
    I don't consider any food a "cheat" food.
    My personal view is, all food in moderation, and staying within your calorie allotment for the day is not cheating, IMHO.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    To me the term "cheat day" implies that you do something hard/special/restrictive the rest of the time, so much so that you can't do it long-term without a break. That's not healthy thinking. People need to find a way to eat that is sustainable. If you do something unsustainable for a short period of time and lose weight and then go to your old way of eating you're likely to gain it all back. Find a way to fit the foods you can't live without into your calories without thinking of them as "cheats". Then once you've lost the weight going to maintenance is just about tweaking your calories up a small amount.

In other words, "cheat day" sounds more like something you'd need during a sprint not a marathon. Getting to a healthy weight is only part of the battle, the war is a marathon of staying at that weight.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't do any sort of cheat day. That's why MFP works for me. I eat what I want to eat. I just need to fit it into my caloric goals.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    If you type in a** or another "inappropriate" word, MFP automatically turns it into *kitten*.

Oooh! That's *kitten* hilarious

You mean I have been typing kitten and didn't have too lol

Good luck
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days coz tbh I can eat until the cows come home if I put my mind to it. And I'd eat the cows that came home too on top of that. Mmmm steak.

However I very much know that at weekends will eat out at least once and I may have a couple of glasses of prosecco. So I am strict during the week and do some extra exercise so I am in "the black" as it were, concerning calories available to me.

However do what ever works for you. My friends have cheat days because they eat low carb all week then might have pasta/pizza on a Friday. Works for them.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything I eat as a cheat per se. If there is something I want, I either work it into my calories so it fits, or decide the occasion is special enough to me to exceed my calories. The gray area is what determines what is special enough. For me it's holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and my birthday, or in one case, a concert where we were tailgating all day. For me, it's not things like "Sunday" or "the Super Bowl" or "had to go out to dinner because of xyz..." For other people, that might be the times where they choose to go over, but I never consider it "cheating." I consider it more understanding the big picture of managing my weight loss.

I doubt there is a single person here who reached their goal weight without some days over or WAY over their typical daily calories. What counts is the overall consistency and mindset to change how we use food.

For you, that might be different, but for me that is where I had to draw the mental line of how to be accountable 99.9% of the time for what I eat in order to reach my weight loss goals. So far it's working.

Sometimes I miss the easy satisfaction, both emotional and physical, of grabbing a #1 large sized at McDonald's. However, now if I am going to eat THAT MUCH, I am really going to think about what I want to eat and make it completely and totally worth it. I doubt it would be McDonald's...but it could be In n Out Burger!

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    You need to fix your mindset...not even a week in and already talking about cheat days? Fit your snacks into your daily calories. Simple dont overcomplicate it. "Cheat days" Shouldnt exist, shouldnt have to. especially after 6 days...Easily undo all your work with a single cheat day. Theres nothing sayign you cant eat what you want to eat daily aslong as you make it fit your calories. I eat burgers often. And chocolate. And iv lost 80 pounds in 9 months.

Stop demonizing foods you love like their cheating.

I agree with Jayde...I let the 'cheats' come to me. Ex: Saturday was my mother-in-love's 80th birthday. I had a thin slice of a homemade birthday cake one of her granddaughters made, and it was awesome. The rest of my day was on-plan.
  • applemiki
    applemiki Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do agree that the concept of cheat days is pretty bad. Food shouldn't be looked at in moral codes. There is no "good" or "bad" food. You shouldn't feel ashamed of having a certain food item. You can have anything you want, just in moderation. Also there's a plus of eating a calorie dense food once a week like going out to eat etc will help raise your leptin levels which balances your hunger.
  • BiomedDent
    Options
    I don't see anything I eat as a cheat per se. If there is something I want, I either work it into my calories so it fits, or decide the occasion is special enough to me to exceed my calories. The gray area is what determines what is special enough. For me it's holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and my birthday, or in one case, a concert where we were tailgating all day. For me, it's not things like "Sunday" or "the Super Bowl" or "had to go out to dinner because of xyz..." For other people, that might be the times where they choose to go over, but I never consider it "cheating." I consider it more understanding the big picture of managing my weight loss.

I doubt there is a single person here who reached their goal weight without some days over or WAY over their typical daily calories. What counts is the overall consistency and mindset to change how we use food.

For you, that might be different, but for me that is where I had to draw the mental line of how to be accountable 99.9% of the time for what I eat in order to reach my weight loss goals. So far it's working.

Sometimes I miss the easy satisfaction, both emotional and physical, of grabbing a #1 large sized at McDonald's. However, now if I am going to eat THAT MUCH, I am really going to think about what I want to eat and make it completely and totally worth it. I doubt it would be McDonald's...but it could be In n Out Burger!

I see this on American telly all the time-but what exactly is "tailgating"?

• coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    You need to fix your mindset...not even a week in and already talking about cheat days? Fit your snacks into your daily calories. Simple dont overcomplicate it. "Cheat days" Shouldnt exist, shouldnt have to. especially after 6 days...Easily undo all your work with a single cheat day. Theres nothing sayign you cant eat what you want to eat daily aslong as you make it fit your calories. I eat burgers often. And chocolate. And iv lost 80 pounds in 9 months.

Stop demonizing foods you love like their cheating.

Very well said!
  • BiomedDent
    Options

Before game day starts, IE: football... people in the parking lot cook out of the back of their cars ETC and Eat lol

You cook out of the back of your car? That's gotta be some kind of witchcraft! How do you cook? Don't your cars smell? So many questions...
  • rs604
    rs604 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    have as many "cheat days" as you want as long as it's sex. LOL
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Before game day starts, IE: football... people in the parking lot cook out of the back of their cars ETC and Eat lol

You cook out of the back of your car? That's gotta be some kind of witchcraft! How do you cook? Don't your cars smell? So many questions...

It's usually not *literally* out of the back of the car, but in the parking lot right behind the car. People use portable grills, crockpots, things like that.
  • BiomedDent
    Options

It's usually not *literally* out of the back of the car, but in the parking lot right behind the car. People use portable grills, crockpots, things like that.

I see! Like a car park BBQ! Got it :)