Avacodos!

Options
So I tried avocado for the first time this morning and I really disliked it. I know that its super good for me so I want to try it again. What are some good ways to make it that will help the bland taste?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love them.
    But I particularly love guacamole, avocado mixed in cottage cheese, avocado on toast, baked avocado with an egg....

and just: with a spoon.
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Thin slices on a sandwich. Or small cubes in a salad. I put a bit in my smoothie. But guacomole is the best!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I made black bean & avocado enchiladas from BudgetBytes.com the other day and I LOVE THEM. I double the amount of avocado in the recipe and make it spicy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cossmoss15 wrote: »
    Thin slices on a sandwich. Or small cubes in a salad. I put a bit in my smoothie. But guacomole is the best!

It's awesome in a smoothie.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's why God created quacamole.
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its a good cheese-like substitute for adding to eggs, etc. I could eat them plain. I love avocados.
  • CallyBeth08
    CallyBeth08 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just put a pinch of salt over some sliced avocado, or a little bit of soy sauce. Otherwise I mash it up, add chopped onion and your favorite salsa, lime juice, pinch of salt- have it as a guac topping on a salad or something. Maybe with chips. Just have to make sure you're eating them when they're ripe. If they're super hard, they're not ready. If it looks like an over ripe green/black banana inside, too ripe. Small window for maximum flavor. Oh, you could also mash it up really well, and replace your mayo with it. I've done that before. I always have to add just a tiny bit of salt to it, because it doesn't have much flavor on its own.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Avocados are good for you, but if you really don't like them there's no point in eating them. That said, I like them on a BLT, usually in place of the lettuce or sprinkle them with seasoned salt or sea salt.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    They've got to be ripe or they don't taste so good. Maybe you will like guacamole, but there are several different ways to make that too. I personally love avocados.
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    chop it up and put some in a salad. yummm
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's so many options.

Mixed into scrambled eggs.
    Added to a chicken and mayo sandwich.
    Bacon, egg, cheese, avocado toastie.
    Tossed into a salad.
    Tuna, egg, mayo, avo salad.

I could go on and on, i love them!
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Smoothie! I add avocados to smoothies or have even made avocado ice cream. Don't Judge.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Anything you used mayo for, they are good in baking, on sandwiches or salads, and of course guacamole is god's gift to people. When I make avocado toast I add sliced tomato and a sprinkle of salt and onion powder...mmmm...I'm hungry :)
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    cut an avocado into 6 slices and wrap 1/2 a piece of bacon around each slice. sprinkle of chili powder and bake at 425 for 12 mins. So good and I am NOT a big fan of avocado. Seen this ...tried it and loved it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I make a tuna salad and scoop it on a 1/2 avocado. YUM!
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's amazing in a salad with orange or peach. Even works well together with strawberries. Other than that it's great in wraps or on toast. I usually like to put some sea salt or garlic salt on top.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There are so many way to eat avocado, but one of my favorite ways is to make slices in each direction without removing the meat of the avocado, put a little hot sauce in the slices, little salt, add some motz. cheese and throw under the broiler. The cheese melts into a crisp, and the warm avocado is sooo good.
  • Texas_Toast_27
    Texas_Toast_27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, olive oil, and coarse sea salt. Mash them together with a fork and it is heaven in your mouth.